ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

Remembering the Tour - show by show marathon
Sun Bowl, El Paso, TX - 20th October 2006
© El Paso Times with thanks to Jeep!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Songs that are a direct steal from somebody else. Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
30th January 2008 05:18 PM
guitarman53

In Rod Stewart - Maggie May/You Wear it Well.
[/quote]

didn't Rod Steward rip-off a Beatles song, even John Lennon Mentions this, You Well it well To Don't Bring me Down, as I said before The Beatles had original songs, they were original, the rest just ripped of songs.
30th January 2008 05:57 PM
CrissCrossMind the DOORS ... Hello, I Love You ... was a direct lift from a Kinks song YRGM? ... didn't Brain think Get Off Of My Cloud was related to Hang on Sloppy ... Hank Williams thought there were twice as many songs as Keith does ... he wrote a fast & a slow one ... and played them over and over again ... CCM
30th January 2008 06:09 PM
Left Shoe Shuffle Neil Young freely admits to ripping off the Stones in 'Borrowed Tune'.

I'm singin' this borrowed tune
I took from the Rolling Stones,
Alone in this empty room
Too wasted to write my own.

The melody is 'Lady Jane'.

He also goofs on himself at the beginning of 'Year Of The Horse' - "They all sound the same. It's all one song."

Then blasts into 'When You Dance'...
30th January 2008 06:59 PM
guitarman53
quote:
CrissCrossMind wrote:
the DOORS ... Hello, I Love You ... was a direct lift from a Kinks song YRGM? ... didn't Brain think Get Off Of My Cloud was related to Hang on Sloppy ... Hank Williams thought there were twice as many songs as Keith does ... he wrote a fast & a slow one ... and played them over and over again ... CCM

Your,
right on right!! how many songs have a similiar theme!@!
30th January 2008 07:04 PM
Navin ...10. What do you remember about writing or recording the following songs:
Under My Wheels = Pure Detroit garage rock. And does anyone else think that Suffragette City sounds a lot like this??? (note: Under My Wheels came out first)...

"22 Questions With Alice Cooper" 10/30/01

http://www.metalsludge.tv/home/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=405&Itemid=52
30th January 2008 11:42 PM
guitarman53
quote:
Navin wrote:
...10. What do you remember about writing or recording the following songs:
Under My Wheels = Pure Detroit garage rock. And does anyone else think that Suffragette City sounds a lot like this??? (note: Under My Wheels came out first)...

"22 Questions With Alice Cooper" 10/30/01

http://www.metalsludge.tv/home/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=405&Itemid=52

That's a big Question, it's like who came first, Bowie or Alice Cooper, they both happened on different parts of the world, Bowie in the U.K. & Cooper in North America, I say Bowie came first because of the early bands he was in, while Cooper was trying to cope with being a person being brought up with being a Minister's son, & today is a born again Christian, Bowie is still a family man, but I think he's still a artist, & still can be what his artistic talents would led him to be, at this time, he likes to be a Father.
30th January 2008 11:58 PM
The jinn, my friend.
31st January 2008 12:20 AM
M.O.W.A.T. The Who rips off the Stones:

A Legal Matter:

It's All Over Now (which was ripped off of the Valentinos):

[Edited by M.O.W.A.T.]
31st January 2008 12:28 AM
Sioux
quote:
guitarman53 wrote:
There's a lot of songs that are not original whatsoever, a case in point would be that white guy called Icetea, who stole David Bowie/Queen "Under Pressure", maybe I got the wrong Tea, oh, it's Vanilla ice, but it's a bunch of bullshit.
It's any song that's similiar to a well 'known song, like George Harrison "My Sweet Lord" which is He's so Fine.
Buffalo Springfield did Mr. Soul, & of course there's a lot of "Satisfaction" in that.

Soooo great! 18 months...that was how long Buff. Spring. lasted. They are one of my faves. Of course, being a huge Stephen Stills and Neil Young fan... And I love Richie Furay too. Love this footage!
31st January 2008 12:30 AM
M.O.W.A.T. ZZ Top's La Grange:

The Stones' Shake Your Hips:

[Edited by M.O.W.A.T.]
31st January 2008 12:31 AM
Sioux
quote:
guitarman53 wrote:
This is The Stones "The Last Time"

Ha, there are Mark and the boys.... Hadn't thought of "The Great Airplane Strike" as being "The Last Time", but they have some similarities. Acutally, a LOT of rock songs {or pop songs} have certain similarities with others.....
31st January 2008 12:35 AM
Sioux
quote:
Starbuck wrote:
mike nesmith's riff in "sunny girlfriend" is a direct ripoff from "it's all over now".

Oh yeah! That is so interesting....never heard the similarity before, but it's pretty blaring...yep, I'm beginning to think there's just one song too.
31st January 2008 01:57 AM
Prodigal Son
quote:
Sioux wrote:

Soooo great! 18 months...that was how long Buff. Spring. lasted. They are one of my faves. Of course, being a huge Stephen Stills and Neil Young fan... And I love Richie Furay too. Love this footage!

Yeah and to think poor Neil was miserable, suffering from some unclarified bout of epilepsy. And that Bruce Palmer was one weird due, notice how he sits down with his back to the audience to play bass. His drug busts led him out of the group and he passed away a couple years ago. Great bass player though. Great band, but it was some bad off-stage chemistry that ruined them. Looking at them then you'd have thought Neil's career would've been more short-lived and less commercially successful than the more marketable music of Stills. Oops.

Stills' commercial fortunes dwindled by the 80s while Neil has been going strong. But around 1988 when CSNY reunited, they all looked like washed-up burnouts (albeit cleaned up). Then Neil dropped Freedom on us and never looked back.The best story is in "Shakey." It's about how Neil brought him back for his 1982 Trans tour band and Bruce was now about 36, overweight and a drunk. Neil banned drinks after a certain hour cause he was on one of his authoritarian kicks. When he stumbled upon the room Bruce was in, the guys had been partying and Bruce was visibly drunk.

Neil asked him to be honest and tell him if he had been drinking. Bruce said no. Then I can't remember which band member it was that recounted this, but Neil just stood there looking miffed cause he had been lied to and then he lunged at Palmer and tackled him to the ground to try to beat him up. He was so pissed and the band pulled him off before he beat up the kooky boozed up Bruce Palmer. Out of character for Neil, but hilarious. I love those stories that show Neil's all-too human characteristic of becoming pissed off and bitchy.
31st January 2008 02:00 AM
Navin
Another link to the Alice-Bowie debate which I happened to post at another related thread about a month ago:

http://www.sickthingsuk.co.uk/people/p-bowie.php

31st January 2008 03:13 AM
guitarman53 Narvin, Thank you for the article, I know that Alice & Bowie have been good friends in the 70's, but I never read this.
31st January 2008 10:00 AM
Voodoo Scrounge T-Rex - "Get it on" and Oasis - "Cigarettes and Alcohol" are almost the same.
31st January 2008 11:28 AM
mrhipfl
quote:
glencar wrote:
Didn't Dani California rip off another song? And that artist wasn't as mild about it.

Yup, Mary Jane's last dance. Petty didn't care, cuz he's cool like that.

The main riff of Low budget by the Kinks sounds a lot like Joe Walsh's Life's been good...

WARNING: EAGLES CONTENT

31st January 2008 04:18 PM
sammy davis jr. Cherry Cherry from Neil Diamond became..... R.O.C.K. In The USA by John Mellencamp

The Stones copped that INXS (Need You Tonight) song pretty hard on the new album.

There's a Matchbox 20 hit song that completely stole the melody from World Party's "When The Rainbow Comes"

Then there's Bon Jovi- "I Will Die For You" is a complete rip-off of "Don't Let Me Down" by the Beatles. Bon Jovi sucks HARD

31st January 2008 07:06 PM
Left Shoe Shuffle The Raconteurs copped the bass line for 'Steady As She Goes' from Joe Jackson's 'Is She Really Going Out With Him'.

BTW, JJ's new album 'Rain' features some fine fretwork from longtime bassist Graham Maby.
31st January 2008 07:58 PM
Sioux
quote:
Prodigal Son wrote:

Yeah and to think poor Neil was miserable, suffering from some unclarified bout of epilepsy. And that Bruce Palmer was one weird due, notice how he sits down with his back to the audience to play bass. His drug busts led him out of the group and he passed away a couple years ago. Great bass player though. Great band, but it was some bad off-stage chemistry that ruined them. Looking at them then you'd have thought Neil's career would've been more short-lived and less commercially successful than the more marketable music of Stills. Oops.

Stills' commercial fortunes dwindled by the 80s while Neil has been going strong. But around 1988 when CSNY reunited, they all looked like washed-up burnouts (albeit cleaned up). Then Neil dropped Freedom on us and never looked back.The best story is in "Shakey." It's about how Neil brought him back for his 1982 Trans tour band and Bruce was now about 36, overweight and a drunk. Neil banned drinks after a certain hour cause he was on one of his authoritarian kicks. When he stumbled upon the room Bruce was in, the guys had been partying and Bruce was visibly drunk.

Neil asked him to be honest and tell him if he had been drinking. Bruce said no. Then I can't remember which band member it was that recounted this, but Neil just stood there looking miffed cause he had been lied to and then he lunged at Palmer and tackled him to the ground to try to beat him up. He was so pissed and the band pulled him off before he beat up the kooky boozed up Bruce Palmer. Out of character for Neil, but hilarious. I love those stories that show Neil's all-too human characteristic of becoming pissed off and bitchy.

Yeah, I almost said something about Palmer. He really had his share of problems, but I was really saddened to hear of his death.. Dewey Martin is a cool guy too. I've read some recent interviews with Richie---maybe in Goldmine? And somewhere else. Great guy, really. Even though Buff. Springfield was short lived, and had in-fighting like many groups too, they really made an impact on the musical scene, I think. They surely made an impact on me!
31st January 2008 08:08 PM
Navin Alright guitarman53, good to know that you liked reading that article. Alice happens to be one of the very few artists outside of the vicious Stones circle that I'm into. Regarding Bowie, quite like the 69-74 Mick Ronson years and most of the promos and videos from over the years, most of which are on the double Best of DVD.
1st February 2008 04:17 AM
Fadeout_Freedom I always thought parts of JJF sound like Jefferson Airplane's "Somebody To Love"...

...and the first half of that intro/riff of Dire Straits' "Money For Nothing" is from JJF

And Elton's "Sad Songs" or whatever it's called, is "Let It Bleed"

Sweet Emotion = We Love You

Hotel California = Angie

1st February 2008 02:47 PM
guitarman53
quote:
Navin wrote:
Alright guitarman53, good to know that you liked reading that article. Alice happens to be one of the very few artists outside of the vicious Stones circle that I'm into. Regarding Bowie, quite like the 69-74 Mick Ronson years and most of the promos and videos from over the years, most of which are on the double Best of DVD.

I'm into early Alice cooper Band too, I come from Toronto, & a lot of their early shows I've been too, I remember them playing at the Electric Circus (City T.V. took over after this club closed) in '69 when they had strobe lights & he (Alice) opened up pillow cases of chicken feathers while the music was just deaftning, & somebody said this band is really weird.
1st February 2008 03:28 PM
guitarman53 The Bowie & Alice happened at the same time, only either knew of each other, Bowie was in bands in '64 & '65 In England, The Lower Third, The King Bees, The Manish Boys, Turquoise, Feathers, & The Hype before he became Ziggy Stardust & The Spiders From Mars.
Alice Cooper was The Earwigs, The Spiders, The Nazz, & then Alice Cooper.
1st February 2008 04:23 PM
Navin Yeah, I got the 'Life and Crimes' box-set which includes a version of "Hitch Hike" recorded by The Spiders in '65 and other rarities, including studio versions of "Nobody Likes Me" and "Levity Ball" - the entire set comprises studio material, and really good stuff too as the AC Band is represented on almost half the tracks (whole of disc 1 and most of 2)

It also includes a very good booklet with great photographs and a nice story of the band from the beginning, and commentary on all the tracks by most everyone involved in making them. This one alone is worth the price of the box-set.
1st February 2008 04:42 PM
TooTough Well...

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID=10455714
1st February 2008 05:42 PM
M.O.W.A.T.
quote:
Navin wrote:
Yeah, I got the 'Life and Crimes' box-set which includes a version of "Hitch Hike" recorded by The Spiders in '65 and other rarities, including studio versions of "Nobody Likes Me" and "Levity Ball" - the entire set comprises studio material, and really good stuff too as the AC Band is represented on almost half the tracks (whole of disc 1 and most of 2)

It also includes a very good booklet with great photographs and a nice story of the band from the beginning, and commentary on all the tracks by most everyone involved in making them. This one alone is worth the price of the box-set.

I love this box set too! My only beef is that they put some edited songs on it (like my favourite Cooper song Welcome to my Nightmare). If you are going to put out a proper retrospective, at least put on the songs as they were originally recorded.
1st February 2008 07:02 PM
guitarman53 I've got the same box set, the thing I got against Vince Furnier is the way the original A.C. broke up, I've got the book "Billion Dollar Babies" since '74, I've seen the band in Toronto in that tour, since then Neil Smith has said it's not the way it was, it was written by Cooper's management to put down the member's of the band to be 3rd rate musicians! so that he's have a reason to break-up the band, because of their Eego's & so on, the Alice Cooper band will always be Michael Smith, Rhythm Guitarist & songwriter, Glen Buxton Lead Guitarist, Dennis Dunaway, Bassist, Neil Smith, Drummer, & last but not least, Vince Furnier, lead singer & harmonica player.
1st February 2008 08:57 PM
guitarman53 A direct steal would be "Be My Lover" By Alice cooper from The Velvet Underground's "Sweet Jane"
2nd February 2008 10:18 PM
Egbert
quote:
Voodoo Scrounge wrote:
T-Rex - "Get it on" and Oasis - "Cigarettes and Alcohol" are almost the same.

Chuck Berry's Little Queenie - Bang A Gong (Get It On)

Constant Craving - Anybody Seen My Baby

Everything Is Turning To Gold bears some resemblance to parts of Toots & The Maytalls' "Fever"

Regarding Keith hating Stills - doubt it has much to do with Mr. Soul (a Neil Young song) and more to do with the incident detailed in Victor Bockris' book on Keith where a "well known rock star" pulls a knife on Keith in Denver (mid '70s) after Keith rebuffed his requests for cocaine. I read somewhere that the knife wielding star was Stills.
Page: 1 2 3

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)