ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

Remembering the Tour - show by show marathon
Sun Bowl, El Paso, TX - 20th October 2006
© El Paso Times with thanks to Jeep!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Songs that are a direct steal from somebody else. Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
30th January 2008 02:23 PM
guitarman53 There's a lot of songs that are not original whatsoever, a case in point would be that white guy called Icetea, who stole David Bowie/Queen "Under Pressure", maybe I got the wrong Tea, oh, it's Vanilla ice, but it's a bunch of bullshit.
It's any song that's similiar to a well 'known song, like George Harrison "My Sweet Lord" which is He's so Fine.
Buffalo Springfield did Mr. Soul, & of course there's a lot of "Satisfaction" in that.
30th January 2008 02:29 PM
TampabayStone Most of Led Zep's songs.
30th January 2008 02:30 PM
Dan Foreigner's "I Wanna Know What Love Is" and KISS "Reason To Live" are the same song.

Deep Purple "Burn" and KISS "I Stole Your Love."

Hanoi Rocks "Cheyenne" and Guns N Roses "Don't Cry."
30th January 2008 02:33 PM
guitarman53 This is The Stones "The Last Time"
30th January 2008 02:40 PM
Dan
quote:
guitarman53 wrote:
There's a lot of songs that are not original whatsoever, a case in point would be that white guy called Icetea, who stole David Bowie/Queen "Under Pressure", maybe I got the wrong Tea, oh, it's Vanilla ice, but it's a bunch of bullshit.

I would actually consider Ice T to be a true talent.

Sampling and copying are two different things, sampling has long since become an acceptable music industry practice as long as proper credit is given to the original songwriters.
30th January 2008 02:42 PM
gimmekeef Papa Was A Rolling Stone = Out Of Control

30th January 2008 02:43 PM
lotsajizz
quote:
guitarman53 wrote:
There's a lot of songs that are not original whatsoever, a case in point would be that white guy called Icetea, who stole David Bowie/Queen "Under Pressure",

You are confusing copying with sampling. In the latter, credit and royalties are given.....

OK now
30th January 2008 02:43 PM
Dan Didn't John Fogerty get sued for copying himself?

Old Man Down The Road/Run Through The Jungle.
30th January 2008 02:44 PM
TampabayStone
quote:
Dan wrote:
Didn't John Fogerty get sued for copying himself?

Old Man Down The Road/Run Through The Jungle.

Yeah, but he won.
30th January 2008 02:58 PM
guitarman53 I'm not pointing out the copyright or anything like that, it's just songs that are not original, songs that are a riff to other songs, it's damn hard to be original, to actually compose music that's never been done before, I can think of (and this is going piss people off) The Beatles & their early songs that were original, like "Rebel Rebel" by Bowie was actually "Please, Please Me" by the Beatles, a case in point, it's just songs that had the same riff to other songs.
30th January 2008 03:03 PM
gimmekeef Wasnt it Keith who said..."Theres only one song"
30th January 2008 03:09 PM
TampabayStone
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:
Wasnt it Keith who said..."Theres only one song"

Yes, and it was Sammy who said..."There's only one way Rock".
30th January 2008 03:11 PM
open-g
quote:
TampabayStone wrote:

Yeah, but he won.

which side of him?
30th January 2008 03:15 PM
Throwaway The riff of "Hey Negrita" always reminds me of that of "5446 That's My Number."

Another is "Fool in the Rain"...totally ripped off in Genesis' "Misunderstanding," making a power pop song into a ghey power pop song.
30th January 2008 03:16 PM
glencar
quote:
guitarman53 wrote:
There's a lot of songs that are not original whatsoever, a case in point would be that white guy called Icetea, who stole David Bowie/Queen "Under Pressure", maybe I got the wrong Tea, oh, it's Vanilla ice, but it's a bunch of bullshit.
It's any song that's similiar to a well 'known song, like George Harrison "My Sweet Lord" which is He's so Fine.
Buffalo Springfield did Mr. Soul, & of course there's a lot of "Satisfaction" in that.

No wonder Keith hates Steven Stills!

The Kinks ripped off JJF with Superman.
30th January 2008 03:17 PM
glencar
quote:
Throwaway wrote:
The riff of "Hey Negrita" always reminds me of that of "5446 That's My Number."

Ronnie takes credit for Hey Negrita. Who wrote/did the other song?
30th January 2008 03:19 PM
Throwaway it's a reggae tune, by Toots & the Maytals. Not a direct lift, but still pretty close.

[Edited by Throwaway]
30th January 2008 03:33 PM
Starbuck mike nesmith's riff in "sunny girlfriend" is a direct ripoff from "it's all over now".

30th January 2008 03:35 PM
glencar Pinkerton should hire you instead of that Nancy school!
30th January 2008 03:38 PM
Starbuck Pinkerton has been dead for years....much the same as joey's posting abilities.
30th January 2008 03:44 PM
Highwire Rob Tracy Chapman's acoustic chord riff / timing for "Fast Car" reminds me of Mellencamp's, "Jack & Diane" -- But I like both tunes anyway.

Recently, "Dani California" by the Chili Peppers was identified by some listeners as sounding like Tom Petty's "Mary Jane's Last Dance." I think it's a bit unfair b/c the Chili's song has a good bit of variation to it besides that one section of similarity.

I heard Tom Petty asked about this in a radio interview some months ago (on NPR, I believe) but he played it down, stating how many rock songs have influenced others over time. He seemed to suggest that he was flattered.
[Edited by Highwire Rob]
30th January 2008 03:45 PM
glencar Didn't Dani California rip off another song? And that artist wasn't as mild about it.
30th January 2008 03:53 PM
Joey
quote:
glencar wrote:
Didn't Dani California rip off another song?

You raise an interesting point there me Lil' Poohole

Smacky !!!!

30th January 2008 04:00 PM
glencar Were you on Idol last night? Ya know, "Mom's Homecoming Queen"? I detected a fingerlight slightly off stage.
30th January 2008 04:02 PM
Joey " Were you on Idol last night? Ya know, "Mom's Homecoming Queen"? I detected a fingerlight slightly off stage. "

30th January 2008 04:03 PM
glencar See you in Hollywood!
30th January 2008 04:06 PM
Joey
" See you in Hollywood! "

30th January 2008 04:43 PM
andrews27 How about a thread of songs meant to echo the sound of a previous hit by the same artist. Can go back to Sam Cooke, who had strings of these, most of them swell songs, whoa-oh-oh-oh.

In Stones, you could call JJF a kind of riff song meant to recapture Satisfaction.

In Rod Stewart - Maggie May/You Wear it Well.
30th January 2008 04:43 PM
nankerphelge "You are confusing copying with sampling. In the latter, credit and royalties are given"

Not always.

A number of artists who sampled back in the 90s argued that such minor uses of other artists riffs, distinctive sounds, or other work were "fair use" under the copyright act -- a defense to what would otherwise be infringement, and which required no remuneration.

And I think (subject to revision) that AC/DC was one of the first to argue that they could stick fair use up their asses and got an injunction prevent further use.

Angus the crusader for intellectual property.
Who would of guessed....

30th January 2008 05:04 PM
Joey
quote:
nankerphelge wrote:

Angus the crusader for intellectual property.
Who would of guessed....

You are much loved by Joey
Page: 1 2 3

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)