ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

Remembering the Tour - show by show marathon
Sun Bowl, El Paso, TX - 20th October 2006
© El Paso Times with thanks to Jeep!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: The One Hit Wonders Appreciation Thread... Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5
1st February 2008 11:05 PM
guitarman53 This band had other hits, but there's only one that stands out for me.
1st February 2008 11:13 PM
robpop Ok I'm really fucking bored and pissed. I need flower power.

1st February 2008 11:19 PM
M.O.W.A.T.

[Edited by M.O.W.A.T.]
[Edited by M.O.W.A.T.]
1st February 2008 11:33 PM
robpop This song starts off lame, but at 1:40 it really rocks. And need I say Gwyneth Paltrow stripping.

1st February 2008 11:56 PM
robpop One more from the Great Expectations Soundtrack. The voice on this lady is so sexy, haunting, and soothing. Life in Mono by Mono.

2nd February 2008 12:04 AM
TampabayStone
2nd February 2008 12:17 AM
robpop
quote:
TampabayStone wrote:

Sorry dude, this one topped the charts for Mr. Parr.

2nd February 2008 12:19 AM
M.O.W.A.T. Something special for post #1000:

[Edited by M.O.W.A.T.]
[Edited by M.O.W.A.T.]
2nd February 2008 12:20 AM
TampabayStone
quote:
robpop wrote:

Sorry dude, this one topped the charts for Mr. Parr.

You stole my next post. I set myself up for for the fadeaway jumper.
2nd February 2008 12:38 AM
robpop
quote:
TampabayStone wrote:

You stole my next post. I set myself up for for the fadeaway jumper.

Fuck, what do you mean? If you were seven feet tall and black, you still could not dunk.
2nd February 2008 01:40 AM
TampabayStone
quote:
robpop wrote:

Fuck, what do you mean? If you were seven feet tall and black, you still could not dunk.

That's why I'm hitting the jumper, damn. My game is more Steve Kerr old school--except the fade away part. But, I betcha if I was 7ft tall and Black, I would be able to dunk.

Photobucket

2nd February 2008 02:57 AM
Bloozehound
quote:
guitarman53 wrote:
I love this song, the 13th Floor Elevators only had one hit, but they had a large following, one of the first acid bands, Roky Erickson put so much emotion in this song.

true, one hit wonders, but sparked off a revolution for acid rock(similar too the velvet undergound and punk) but the Stones themselves ripped off the 13th floors Elevater's "monkey island" for "monkey man"

scope this, roky and billy gibbons few weeks ago on acl

http://www.pbs.org/klru/austin/flash/video/player2/index.php?xml=/klru/austin/images/stories/ACL/Episodes/2000s/2007/kol_roky/video/3312_roky_song.xml
2nd February 2008 08:05 AM
Nasty Habits Awesome, BH. Billy G gets his "Moving Sidewalks" on on that solo, and I dig the way he was trying to evoke the jug sound at the end of the song.

2nd February 2008 01:32 PM
Sioux
quote:
Nasty Habits wrote:
Awesome, BH. Billy G gets his "Moving Sidewalks" on on that solo, and I dig the way he was trying to evoke the jug sound at the end of the song.

That is SWEET....beautiful, thanks!
2nd February 2008 02:01 PM
Bloozehound
quote:
Nasty Habits wrote:
Awesome, BH. Billy G gets his "Moving Sidewalks" on on that solo, and I dig the way he was trying to evoke the jug sound at the end of the song.

Hey Nasty! where ya been

Ain't that shit cool, Rok's voice sounds a lil shot, not hitting those banshee wails, but still totally badass

Gibbons just wails that solo like he was born too, we need to commission a statue of him in that pose to worship him like the uber cool rock god he is, Cam King too, dudes a maniac, just like I remember him when I saw Roky play Ruta Mayas a few years ago, cat looks like he just got off his 9-5 selling insurance, walks in and picks up that pretty pearl blue fender, starts jumping around, kickin ass everywhere, dudes fierce

4th February 2008 02:14 AM
Brainbell Jangler
quote:
Sioux wrote:

Here's an interesting story. Do you remember the movie "Wild In The Streets" with Christopher Jones, Larry Bishop, Shelly Winters, and Richard Pryor? It was about young people basically taking over the U.S. and electing a young President. Anyway, Mark was offered the lead part {which eventually went to Chris Jones}, and he was urged to take the part by Gloria Stavers, who was the editor of 16 Magazine at the time. He would have had to leave the band to make the movie, and he chose not to. So, he lost out on his acting career, but continued to do well in the music venue.

Oh, yeah. President Max Frost. 13 year olds could vote. They put everyone over 30 into concentration camps and force-fed them LSD. Quite the propaganda piece against the 18-year-old vote (which hadn't passed yet). And the great song, "(Nothing Can Change) The Shape of Things to Come."
4th February 2008 03:47 AM
Stonesthrow
quote:
Sioux wrote:
The Prunes actually had a couple of hits too...also "Get Me To The World On Time"....I LOVE all this stuff.. The best time of the best decade in the best century EVER.

I Had Too Much To Dream by the Electric Prunes was one of the best psychedelic rockers ever made. Their follow-up, Get Me To The World On Time, was even better. Those songs were a perfect fit for 1967-68.
4th February 2008 06:57 AM
Sioux
quote:
Stonesthrow wrote:

I Had Too Much To Dream by the Electric Prunes was one of the best psychedelic rockers ever made. Their follow-up, Get Me To The World On Time, was even better. Those songs were a perfect fit for 1967-68.

I agree. I remember my Dad coming into my room once when "I Had Too Much To Dream" came on the radio. He shriveled up his brow and said something about it not being a good song because of the lyrics..."I had too much to DRINK last night..." I told him what the real words were, and he said "Oh, now, that's cute!" lol
5th February 2008 10:29 AM
Nasty Habits
quote:
Brainbell Jangler wrote:

Oh, yeah. President Max Frost. 13 year olds could vote. They put everyone over 30 into concentration camps and force-fed them LSD. Quite the propaganda piece against the 18-year-old vote (which hadn't passed yet). And the great song, "(Nothing Can Change) The Shape of Things to Come."

Incredibly great, ridiculous movie. Shelly Winters at her best. THREE different soundtrack LPs. Tripping senators in the halls of congress.

The actual music is by great fuzz biker instrumental band Davey Allan and the Arrows.

6th February 2008 05:22 AM
egon
6th February 2008 09:18 PM
M.O.W.A.T.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)