ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

Remembering the Tour - show by show marathon
Sun Bowl, El Paso, TX - 20th October 2006
© El Paso Times with thanks to Jeep!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: The One Hit Wonders Appreciation Thread... Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5
27th January 2008 01:45 PM
robpop
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Thanks. Have to say I cant have imagined they wouldnt have had a few hit singles.

Cheers for the Michael Penn video, robpop. Excellent song. Havent heard that in a while.
[Edited by Gazza]

Yeah, it was Hirewire Rob, but it is a great song.

Once agian thanks for the directions HW Rob. I'm going out there now.
[Edited by robpop]
27th January 2008 02:09 PM
Highwire Rob
quote:
robpop wrote:
Once agian thanks for the directions HW Rob. I'm going out there now.

You're welcome! I'm just down Rt.22 East this weekend visiting my folks in the wilds of New Alexandria. Like everybody, I'm suffering football withdrawal until next Sunday. I'm eager to see the Tom Petty Halftime Show.
27th January 2008 03:45 PM
M.O.W.A.T.

[Edited by M.O.W.A.T.]
27th January 2008 04:06 PM
Riffhard The very defintion of one hit wonder.

This sums it up.

Riffy
27th January 2008 04:29 PM
Bloozehound
quote:
Riffhard wrote:
The very defintion of one hit wonder.

This sums it up.

Riffy

HaHa!

good lord that was atrocious, those guys are faags!
[Edited by Bloozehound]
27th January 2008 04:30 PM
Highwire Rob I occasionally wear my Kangol beret and I'm tellin' you they’re still cool! Since the Eagles won't be playing, this goes out to the Giants...

[Edited by Highwire Rob]
27th January 2008 05:21 PM
TampabayStone
quote:
robpop wrote:
How can we forget?

BASTARD!! I almost skipped right past that. If Dungey was not so stubborn about our offense I think we had another one in us. We have had some good D for alot of years.. I'm piching the pic, btw...
27th January 2008 05:25 PM
TampabayStone
quote:
M.O.W.A.T. wrote:

[Edited by M.O.W.A.T.]

Chaka, Chaka, Chaka Khan a one hit wonder?? She should be in the diva thread.
27th January 2008 05:30 PM
TampabayStone
quote:
sirmoonie wrote:

Close, but this takes it.

Christ I still feel movement while watching that one.. I remember my babysitter telling me what they were saying in french--made not a bit sense to me then..
27th January 2008 05:34 PM
TampabayStone
quote:
steel driving hammer wrote:
The Beatles - Don't Let Me Down...

I care if your a Beatles fan or not..That's bad ass.
27th January 2008 06:07 PM
sirmoonie
quote:
Riffhard wrote:
The very defintion of one hit wonder.

This sums it up.

Riffy

How did they get one hit? That's one of the uninspired songs I've ever heard. Toto could blow those muffs off the stage!
27th January 2008 07:10 PM
Highwire Rob Guilty confession... I really liked this solo hit - certainly better than anything from this guy's more famous 80s band:

However, I much prefer listening to the song while watching this vid:

You know, there was a time when lonesome Highwire Rob answered a back-page singles ad to meet girls with guns. WHAT A MISTAKE THAT WAS! - I haven't been the same since! I thought it would be harmless enough. It was right alongside those classified ads for female drummers - You know - Chicks with Styx. Right?

Just like that... Just like that...

But seriously folks... you've been a great audience!
[Edited by Highwire Rob]
27th January 2008 07:23 PM
TampabayStone He's not ghey enough to dress like a prince but ghey enough to sing this song. Long version baby!

[Edited by TampabayStone]
27th January 2008 07:27 PM
Bloozehound
quote:
sirmoonie wrote:

How did they get one hit? That's one of the uninspired songs I've ever heard. Toto could blow those muffs off the stage!

No shit, was that really a "hit", it was more like a "suck" because it just sucked, but then again the 80's where strange times for popular music, you just gotta be suspect of any group of guys who want to collectively be known as "Chiliwack", wtf!
27th January 2008 07:38 PM
Bloozehound
quote:
Highwire Rob wrote:

You know, there was a time when lonesome Highwire Rob answered a back-page singles ad to meet girls with guns. WHAT A MISTAKE THAT WAS! - I haven't been the same since!

wow, that's awesome, the chicks with guns fetish seems kinda cool, they deserve their own apprciation thread

27th January 2008 07:39 PM
guitarman53 Some more from the 60's, terrible Quality video's.
27th January 2008 08:00 PM
Brainbell Jangler Senoritas y senores, bienvenidos a . . . LOS BRAVOS.

27th January 2008 10:46 PM
M.O.W.A.T.

[Edited by M.O.W.A.T.]
[Edited by M.O.W.A.T.]
27th January 2008 11:48 PM
Promo The Creation-1966
Featured in the film Rushmore (1998)
This is where Jimmy Page discovered the bow.

Making Time, Shooting lines
For people to believe in
Things you say, gone in a day
Everybody leavin', everybody leavin'

Why do we have to carry on
Always singing the same old song
Same old song, the same old song

Tellin' lies
Closing your eyes
Making more excuses
Pullin' the wool
Actin' the fool
people have their uses
People have their uses

Lookin' for, an open door
Never taking chances
Take your pick, makes you sick
Seekin' new advances, Seekin' new advances

27th January 2008 11:57 PM
Sioux
quote:
guitarman53 wrote:
Some more from the 60's, terrible Quality video's.

LOVE those, guitarman! 3 of the 4 are from "Where The Action Is"---Dick Clark's 2 year run show that featured Paul Revere and the Raiders as regulars. And "Little Girl" is one of my favorite songs! That was an incredible summer...."Little Girl", "Dirty Water", "Wild Thing"....'66 was an amazing year.
27th January 2008 11:57 PM
Promo Sioux,
Syndicate of Sound (along with The Count Five (Psychotic Reaction)
were both from my home town of San Jose.
A couple of years ago they started a San Jose Rock and Roll
Hall Of Fame and inducted them.
I guess the Doobie Bros are next.

I love these vid's you guys are postin on here.
I remember seeing a shopping list, a girl a little
older than me made in 1966 for her mom.
It had "Black is Black" on it. I thought.."who's mom
will buy them a 45 at the store??"

The chicks shooting machine guns is a great way to
break-up the endless 1-hit marathon.

I had never seen the Steam video either.

[Edited by Promo]
27th January 2008 11:59 PM
Sioux Those Action videos are on Kinescope---and yeah, the quality is bad. I guess that's one reason Dick Clark has never released them on legit video/DVD, even though people have been writing, calling, BEGGING for years.
28th January 2008 01:48 AM
Brainbell Jangler "Where the Action Is"! Man, I used to love that show!
28th January 2008 10:22 AM
guitarman53 Thanks Sioux for the feedback, I loved '66 myself, there are so many artists who don't have video's, remember Keith "98.6" that was a one hit wonder for sure, can't find anything on him, here's some more.

[Edited by guitarman53]
[Edited by guitarman53]
[Edited by guitarman53]
28th January 2008 10:36 AM
guitarman53

28th January 2008 12:05 PM
Sioux Ha ha! Those are great! I LOVE this thread..... You are speaking MY language now.

I know Mark Lindsay, former lead singer, songwriter, producer for the Raiders. We've talked a lot about Action and he's told me lots of stories. I moved from Calif. a couple of years before they started filming that show, but I know people who saw tapings, and I know a girl who's father was a tech guy on it, and Dick Clark's later show featuring PR&R, "Happening '68" {and "It's Happening" in the summer of '68}. Mark knows and has worked with TONS of artists, and his stories are always great. He knows so much about studio work too, as he started to produce all of the Raiders stuff in the mid-late 60's. I've really learned a lot from him.

The Raiders played with the Stones in '65 a couple of dates, I think it was. Seems like San Diego was mentioned---maybe the Hollywood Bowl? Anyway, the Stones actually opened for the Raiders. Mark didn't have a lot of contact with the Stones, so I really don't have any stories there....
28th January 2008 03:12 PM
Scottfree Tommy Tutone 8675309, the Knack - My Sharona (great guitar solo)
28th January 2008 05:21 PM
guitarman53
quote:
Sioux wrote:
Ha ha! Those are great! I LOVE this thread..... You are speaking MY language now.

I know Mark Lindsay, former lead singer, songwriter, producer for the Raiders. We've talked a lot about Action and he's told me lots of stories. I moved from Calif. a couple of years before they started filming that show, but I know people who saw tapings, and I know a girl who's father was a tech guy on it, and Dick Clark's later show featuring PR&R, "Happening '68" {and "It's Happening" in the summer of '68}. Mark knows and has worked with TONS of artists, and his stories are always great. He knows so much about studio work too, as he started to produce all of the Raiders stuff in the mid-late 60's. I've really learned a lot from him.

The Raiders played with the Stones in '65 a couple of dates, I think it was. Seems like San Diego was mentioned---maybe the Hollywood Bowl? Anyway, the Stones actually opened for the Raiders. Mark didn't have a lot of contact with the Stones, so I really don't have any stories there....

Oh, yes, I remember PR&R, I bought their album "Midnight Ride" back in '65 or '66, they had all kinds of hits, & I loved them too, I had their 2 record album set "Greatest Hits" years ago, when I had records, I got their C.D. The Essential Ride 63-67.
They remind me, as business men, of The Dave Clark 5, never got into drugs/drink, invested their money, & I'm sure their well off today because of it.
28th January 2008 07:27 PM
texile my favorites are more mainstream fare from childhood memories.

please come to boston,(Dave loggins)
sunshine (jonathan edwards, not john denver)
hithin a ride
neverending song of love (delaney and bonnie)
what would you say (forgot the guy's name)
smiling faces,
undercover angel,
and so many more.....

to anyone who cares:
anybody remember a song with the chorus,
'how it makes me quiver...'
???
it's a vague memory i can't get rid of, but i have no idea who it was ot what it was.

28th January 2008 07:40 PM
Sioux
quote:
texile wrote:
my favorites are more mainstream fare from childhood memories.

please come to boston,(Dave loggins)
sunshine (jonathan edwards, not john denver)
hithin a ride
neverending song of love (delaney and bonnie)
what would you say (forgot the guy's name)
smiling faces,
undercover angel,
and so many more.....

to anyone who cares:
anybody remember a song with the chorus,
'how it makes me quiver...'
???
it's a vague memory i can't get rid of, but i have no idea who it was ot what it was.

Looked it up...."Stay Awhile" by the Bells? Don't remember it at all. The only "What Would You Say?" I could find was the one by the Dave Matthews Band. They're from Charlottesville, so are VERY big here in Va. {the same with Bruce Hornsby, who is from Williamsburg}.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)