ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

© Alamy Images with special thanks to Gypsy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: James Cotton last gig? Return to archive
11th February 2007 05:53 PM
nanatod Friday, Dr. John played the Navy Pier ballroom in Chicago for free, as part of a city sponsored winter festival.

I went to this and it was kind of disappointing, because Dr. John stretched out all the songs to interminable length (maybe he's been watching too many Phish DVDs), and because he did not do Iko, Iko or Such a Night, with the latter being my favorite Dr. John song. He did do Right Place, Wrong Time, and a cover of Big Chief.

While there, I bumped into an acquaintance who works for the office of special events, and he indicated that this year's Chicago Blues Festival includes a tribute to Sunnyland Slim, and what the acquaintance thinks will probably be the LAST APPEARANCE (at the Blues Festival? in Chicago? anywhere?) of harmonica player extraordinaire James Cotton (he thinks Cotton is getting too old to play much longer).
11th February 2007 06:02 PM
fireontheplatter good times
i have heard his name, but i don't think i have ever heard him play.
he has been around forever ....right?????
11th February 2007 06:02 PM
mojoman wow i wish i could have traded places with you. saw the night tripper last month and it seems like it was a pretty short set maybe a couple of tunes that jammed a little.
11th February 2007 06:26 PM
nanatod
quote:
mojoman wrote:
it seems like it was a pretty short set maybe a couple of tunes that jammed a little.

Dr. John's set Friday was about 1 1/2 hours long, but there were probably less than one dozen songs.
12th February 2007 12:33 AM
Brainbell Jangler
quote:
fireontheplatter wrote:
good times
i have heard his name, but i don't think i have ever heard him play.
he has been around forever ....right?????

James Cotton or Dr. John? In both cases, the answer is "yes." Cotton played for Muddy Waters from the mid-Fifties to the mid-Sixties before starting his own band. He's played with almost everyone. Dr. John "The Night Tripper" (real name Malcolm "Mac" Rebennack) started as a songwriter and session musician in New Orleans in the Fifties, where he played with Professor Longhair and others. He released his first album, the voodoo-flavored "Gris-Gris," in 1968. "Right Place, Wrong Time" in 1973 was his biggest hit. The flip side of that single is the wonderful "Such a Night." Stones fans should know Rebennack as one of the backing vocalists on "Let It Loose" from Exile on Main Street.
12th February 2007 12:49 AM
mojoman mick appears on the doctors sun moon and herbs release
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)