ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

© Alamy Images with special thanks to Gypsy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: "American Beauty" vs "Pursuit of Hapiness" Return to archive
10th February 2007 01:41 AM
Chris74 I just watched the movie again. Great stuff.
Kevin Spacey is great. I like how he throws over board all conventions. For society he's a looser but he feels way better than everybody else.

It reminds me on Keith a little though no reference - maybe because Keef also was an outsider and always lived his life.

Total contradiction is the movie "Pursuit of Hapiness" with Will Smith. I don't like that one. Too much clichee. You could think that Wall Street has funded the movie.
10th February 2007 02:49 AM
Brainbell Jangler The real question: American Beauty or Workingman's Dead?
10th February 2007 10:41 AM
fireontheplatter
quote:
Chris74 wrote:
I just watched the movie again. Great stuff.
Kevin Spacey is great. I like how he throws over board all conventions. For society he's a looser but he feels way better than everybody else.

It reminds me on Keith a little though no reference - maybe because Keef also was an outsider and always lived his life.

Total contradiction is the movie "Pursuit of Hapiness" with Will Smith. I don't like that one. Too much clichee. You could think that Wall Street has funded the movie.

i think american beauty is one of the best ever movies made...
i will go to the library today and see if they have it for rent.

is the persuit of happieness the relitivly new movie..i have gone off will smith
10th February 2007 10:43 AM
fireontheplatter
quote:
Brainbell Jangler wrote:

this one
10th February 2007 11:27 AM
Poison Dart American Beauty is one of the best movies ever made.
10th February 2007 01:07 PM
MrPleasant I read that the Dead are about to receive a honorary Grammy. Big deal. But, for that, I'm curious to watch the event.
10th February 2007 01:13 PM
fireontheplatter
quote:
MrPleasant wrote:
I read that the Dead are about to receive a honorary Grammy. Big deal. But, for that, I'm curious to watch the event.

thats cool

the grammies tomorrow night = yeah
10th February 2007 02:16 PM
glencar First, it's called "The Pursuit of Happyness" which is an incorrect spelling in that form too. I haven't seen it but Ithink it's a downer & I only like happy penguin movies these days. American Beauty is rated way too highly. The movie, not the Dead album.
10th February 2007 02:17 PM
BONOISLOVE
quote:
glencar wrote:
I only like happy penguin movies these days.

Come to Bono.
10th February 2007 02:21 PM
glencar Luv U man!
10th February 2007 11:57 PM
time is on my side American Beauty slightly

over

Workingman's Dead

11th February 2007 01:11 AM
Zack American Beauty is one of my favorite albums ever -- desert island material. Workingman's is a good dry run, but nowhere near as great.

I like the movie too. I want to try that kid's weed.
11th February 2007 09:46 AM
Angiegirl The storyline of The Pursuit of Happyness is cliche indeed (American Dream with happy end blahblahblahyawn), but I thought the emotion in it, because it was so understated, is at least as strong as the raw emotion in American Beauty, and that's all Will Smith's accomplishment. I thought he did really well with the little material he was given there; maybe because he co-acted with his own son.

But other than that, there's no competition: American Beauty is the better film (even though it's frequently so overrated, especially by men somehow ). Why would anyone compare these particular two movies anyway??
11th February 2007 01:00 PM
nanatod
quote:
Brainbell Jangler wrote:
The real question: American Beauty or Workingman's Dead?

Neither. Because of U.S. Blues, among others, I prefer this:
11th February 2007 03:32 PM
Steamboat Bill, Jr.
quote:
fireontheplatter wrote:

i think american beauty is one of the best ever movies made...

quote:
Poison Dart wrote:

American Beauty is one of the best movies ever made.

American Beauty is decent enough, but there are SOOOO MANY films that are FAR better. In no way is it anywhere near the greatest films ever made.
12th February 2007 12:44 AM
Brainbell Jangler
quote:
nanatod wrote:

Neither. Because of U.S. Blues, among others, I prefer this:

I like U.S. Blues and I love Scarlet Begonias and Ship of Fools, but I can think of at least seven reasons why American Beauty beats Mars Hotel:
Sugar Magnolia
Ripple
Friend of the Devil
Box of Rain
Candyman
Truckin'
Attics of My Life
12th February 2007 12:53 AM
mojoman
quote:
Brainbell Jangler wrote:

I like U.S. Blues and I love Scarlet Begonias and Ship of Fools, but I can think of at least seven reasons why American Beauty beats Mars Hotel:
Sugar Magnolia
Ripple
Friend of the Devil
Box of Rain
Candyman
Truckin'
Attics of My Life

song for song american beauty but anthem of the sun is the trip man!!!
12th February 2007 01:08 AM
Brainbell Jangler
quote:
mojoman wrote:

song for song american beauty but anthem of the sun is the trip man!!!

Can't argue with you, bro. Anthem captures the real Dead experience better than any other studio album (and most of the live ones).
12th February 2007 01:42 AM
Zack Anthem, though a noble experiment, didn't turn out really well. Layering the shows on top of one another, though an inspired idea, made it sound muddy as hell.

Two From the Vault has much of the same material (except Alligator and Caution) sounding a lot better.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)