ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

© Alamy Images with special thanks to Gypsy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Let's get "Real" about 1964 & The Beatles. Return to archive
7th February 2007 04:36 PM
guitarman53 Every time I hear a Beatles song from this period, it deepens my feelings that if it wasn't for the Beatles, no other British band would never have been heard of, can you imagine the Stones on the Ed Sullivan show first time without the Beatles already being there, it wouldn't have happened.
Like all the other events that happened in '64, it's history, & no wishing could change that, when the Stones came in '64, they were playing to a stadium of half the people, Dean Martin made his remark about them, they were considered as a joke, people loved Gerry & pacemakers & Dave Clark 5, about the Stones? it was a cult following, so if it wasn't for the Beatles? let's get real, & hear from people who were there at that time.
7th February 2007 05:03 PM
Joey " Every time I hear a Beatles song from this period, it deepens my feelings that if it wasn't for the Beatles, no other British band would never have been heard of, can you imagine the Stones on the Ed Sullivan show first time without the Beatles already being there, it wouldn't have happened.
Like all the other events that happened in '64, it's history, & no wishing could change that, when the Stones came in '64, they were playing to a stadium of half the people, Dean Martin made his remark about them, they were considered as a joke, people loved Gerry & pacemakers & Dave Clark 5, about the Stones? it was a cult following, so if it wasn't for the Beatles? let's get real, & hear from people who were there at that time. "

The Beatles came to America ten weeks after JFK was assassinated . Accordingly , they replaced - in our nation's collective consciousness - what was ' stricken ' from us on that terrible day and made our great country young again ................. Bless John , Paul , George & Ringo .

kins !

[cc:ss]

[Edited by Joey]
7th February 2007 05:05 PM
gimmekeef I was there when Beatles broke in North America.I was 11 or so...and its really hard to say if teh British Invasion would not have happened Beatles or no Beatles.They certainly accelerated and were the driving force no doubt.But I think Brian was determined there would be a Stones and eventually they would have been heard from.But if Charlie doesnt quit his bank job?....well who knows??...This topic has been debated many times and regardless of how ya feel about The Beatles music...their place as "Coming First"...cant be denied.....
7th February 2007 05:05 PM
pdog joey copy and pasted correctly....
7th February 2007 05:06 PM
Honky Tonk Man "The Beatles kicked the doors open" - Keith Richards 25X5 documentary
7th February 2007 05:10 PM
Joey " joey copy and pasted correctly.... "

7th February 2007 05:12 PM
Ten Thousand Motels I love the Beatles.
What is is, the rest is a what if.
7th February 2007 05:13 PM
pdog if you like posting, POST!
7th February 2007 05:14 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Joey wrote:
" joey copy and pasted correctly.... "

He got lucky.
7th February 2007 06:41 PM
fireontheplatter a long time ago i decided i was going to be a rolling stones fan. i used to have this little radio shack tape recorder and i would listen to the greatest hits from them...i placed it under my pillow and they rocked me to sleep. i always had a herd time with the lady jane song tho...i couldn't figure it out for the life of me. i am not sure if my decision came naturally or whether i had to make it.
as i was driving down to washington the other week i had a chance to listen to the radio and the song 'help' came on and i was like this is actually a good tune. being older not i can relate to it more than when i was say 13...
and then the song 'tumbling dice' cam on and it was all over
7th February 2007 11:58 PM
Starbuck i've always been partial to the jewtles myself. here...you can see them in concert:

(l-r): hank greenberg, josh, max weinberg, hilel slovak and ed asner

they were popular in the sixties. they broke into slovakia in '64, where they appeared on national television for the first time singing songs like "till there was jew", i wanna be your manorah" and "this circumsized boy". things went well for them until josh's "bigger than moses" comments to a local reporter in '66.
8th February 2007 12:10 AM
oldkr actually 'kids today' are more likely to be responding to parental input, be that either as a form of rebellion or of concentration. Alternatively, various cultural non-musical influences could lead them back to the stones.

OLDKR
8th February 2007 11:04 AM
Joey
quote:
oldkr wrote:
actually 'kids today' are more likely to be responding to parental input, be that either as a form of rebellion or of concentration. Alternatively, various cultural non-musical influences could lead them back to the stones.

OLDKR

Beatles
Rolling Stones
The Who

Beatles
Rolling Stones
The Who

......nothing ever really changes my friends ..... new lamps for old ........and that is good

Kins.
8th February 2007 11:17 AM
BILL PERKS
quote:
pdog wrote:
joey copy and pasted correctly....

JOEY IS THE JAMES FREY OF ROCKS OFF!
8th February 2007 11:19 AM
Joey
quote:
BILL PERKS wrote:

JOEY IS THE JAMES FREY OF ROCKS OFF!

Perks .....................................

archaic reference lost on much younger and astute posters .

Why ?!

WHY ?!

|
|
V

8th February 2007 11:21 AM
BILL PERKS
quote:
Joey wrote:

Perks .....................................

archaic reference lost on much younger and astute posters .

Why ?!

WHY ?!

|
|
V

A MILLION LITTLE PIECES ,JOSEPH
8th February 2007 02:53 PM
Joey
quote:
BILL PERKS wrote:

A MILLION LITTLE PIECES ,JOSEPH

********** SIGH *****************

9th February 2007 11:12 AM
CULTURE VULTURE Keith once said the Beatles kicked the door in ans the Stones followed.
9th February 2007 11:21 AM
Gazza
quote:
Starbuck wrote:
i've always been partial to the jewtles myself. here...you can see them in concert:

(l-r): hank greenberg, josh, max weinberg, hilel slovak and ed asner

LMAO

Surely Max is the guy on the left, as he's the drummer?
9th February 2007 11:38 AM
the good I am so sick of hearing about the beatles and Ed Sullivan. I can't wait until all the baby boomers are gone so we can stop talking about Vietnam and the god damn beatles on Ed Sullivan. An almost totally worthless generation in my view. Self absorbed, arrogant, and wrong, even to this very day. Nothing more pathetic than men with gray hair who still think and act like they are 20 (unless they are touring with the Stones)
9th February 2007 12:22 PM
Lazy Bones
quote:
the good wrote:
I can't wait until all the baby boomers are gone so we can stop talking about Vietnam and the god damn beatles on Ed Sullivan.

http://www.apa.org/pubinfo/anger.html
9th February 2007 12:26 PM
glencar
quote:
the good wrote:
I am so sick of hearing about the beatles and Ed Sullivan. I can't wait until all the baby boomers are gone so we can stop talking about Vietnam and the god damn beatles on Ed Sullivan. An almost totally worthless generation in my view. Self absorbed, arrogant, and wrong, even to this very day. Nothing more pathetic than men with gray hair who still think and act like they are 20 (unless they are touring with the Stones)

LOL What's past is past. I love when gray hairs whine about howe "this generation" isn't out there protesting like they were. The whine is now 30 years old!
9th February 2007 04:10 PM
the good
quote:
Lazy Bones wrote:

http://www.apa.org/pubinfo/anger.html

Hey! I'm a member of this organization. And I can tell you firsthand that NO group has suffered more as a result of the warped boomer mentality than the APA. Once a proud professional and scientific organization, now a bunch of hippie retreads protesting the Iraq war because they think that "son of a bitch Nixon" is still in the white house and refuses to get us out of the war.

Well now we have all three legs of the stool, haven't we? The pillars, if you will, of baby boomer psychology 1) Beatlemania (every cultural phenomenon is some variation of beatle-mania 2) the Vietnam war (every military intervention is the Vietnam war) 3) Nixon and Watergate (every republican domestic scandal is watergate). Its sad, really. An empty - headed generation, that uses archetypes as a substitute for original thinking.
[Edited by the good]
9th February 2007 04:16 PM
Joey " I can't wait until all the baby boomers are gone so we can stop talking about Vietnam and the god damn beatles on Ed Sullivan. An almost totally worthless generation in my view. Self absorbed, arrogant, and wrong, even to this very day. Nothing more pathetic than men with gray hair who still think and act like they are 20 (unless they are touring with the Stones "

Ladies & Gentlemen ................................

After reading the above statement , I now understand COMPLETELY why the very first thing I do every single morning is get on my knees and pray for a re-instatement of the national draft .

Frig YEAH !!!!!

Ho Chi Joe
9th February 2007 04:19 PM
the good
quote:
Joey wrote:
" I can't wait until all the baby boomers are gone so we can stop talking about Vietnam and the god damn beatles on Ed Sullivan. An almost totally worthless generation in my view. Self absorbed, arrogant, and wrong, even to this very day. Nothing more pathetic than men with gray hair who still think and act like they are 20 (unless they are touring with the Stones "

Ladies & Gentlemen ................................

After reading the above statement , I now understand COMPLETELY why the very first thing I do every single morning is get on my knees and pray for a re-instatement of the national draft .

Frig YEAH !!!!!

Ho Chi Joe

See??? It all Vietnam, all the time.
9th February 2007 10:22 PM
Kilroy Dude get a life perferably" A good Life" take a powder and enjoy the music, it after all is music.
[Edited by Kilroy]
10th February 2007 01:14 AM
guitarman53 The Beatles on the Ed Sullivan was our first taste of Rock "N" Roll might be, do you honestly think that The Rolling Stones would break in America? get fucking real!!it would never have happened. this is 1964!!for Christ sakes.
10th February 2007 03:06 AM
keefjunkie
quote:
fireontheplatter wrote:
a long time ago i decided i was going to be a rolling stones fan. i used to have this little radio shack tape recorder and i would listen to the greatest hits from them...i placed it under my pillow and they rocked me to sleep. i always had a herd time with the lady jane song tho...i couldn't figure it out for the life of me. i am not sure if my decision came naturally or whether i had to make it.
as i was driving down to washington the other week i had a chance to listen to the radio and the song 'help' came on and i was like this is actually a good tune. being older not i can relate to it more than when i was say 13...
and then the song 'tumbling dice' cam on and it was all over

it isnt fair to compare a beatles song that came out in 1965 during their more poppy period to a stones song off of exile in 1972.

if you want to be realistic and fair then you would atleast have to compare tumbling dice to something off the white album or onward.

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)