ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Unknown artist - provided by Cucho Peñaloza
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Ian McLagan carries his own weight to Slim's Return to archive
February 9th, 2005 03:20 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Ian McLagan carries his own weight to Slim's

Joel Selvin, Chronicle Senior Pop Music Critic
Wednesday, February 9, 2005

When he handled keyboards in Rod Stewart's band, Ian McLagan refused to play "Do Ya Think I'm Sexy." He would stand behind his organ with his arms crossed, as Stewart pranced around to the disco beat.

"It's an insult to the mentality of any musician," said McLagan. "Plus it's just a rip-off of 'Miss You,' which I also played on."

Of course, McLagan was no ordinary hired hand in Stewart's band. He was a member of the British rock group Small Faces long before Stewart joined and the name was shortened to the Faces, so Stewart probably could have expected that kind of insubordination.

McLagan -- known as "Mac" -- is one of the great journeymen of British rock. The pint-sized 59-year-old lives in Austin, Texas, with his wife of 27 years, Kim. Each has a grown child from previous marriages and his stepdaughter has made him a grandfather.

Back home, McLagan's Bump Band (who appear this Thursday at Slim's) play happy hour every Thursday night at the Lucky Lounge in Austin.

He takes his turn driving the band's van. He humps his own gear, although he swears he is through lifting the organ when he turns 60 in May. ("Singers," he said. "Rod never even carried a microphone.") His band's new album, "Rise and Shine," his fifth solo album, is an agreeable slice of barroom rock. Bassist Mark Andes played with '60s rockers Spirit and guitarist "Scrappy" Jud Newcomb is one of the sparkplugs of the Austin music scene who belongs to a half dozen different bands.

McLagan is a long way from the Champagne, caviar and cocaine circuit he once traveled as a member of one of rock's most beloved party bands. But he's been on the scene from the very beginning, when he was an art school student and musician who used to crowd into tiny clubs to see a new blues band called the Rolling Stones in west London, where he grew up.

"I couldn't believe they were kinda my age," he said. "But they were white and they were from England. They were London boys. Everybody in the front row -- we'd all get as close as we could -- were all band members going 'we could do this ... maybe we could do this.' "

McLagan joined the Small Faces in 1965, a recording outfit with impeccable Mod credentials, long well-established with more than a dozen hits on the English charts when Rod Stewart joined as vocalist in 1969.

The band broke up in 1975, after Stewart recorded several successful solo albums and the band's billing changed to Rod Stewart and the Faces, and guitarist Ronnie Wood joined the Rolling Stones. McLagan got the word reading the newspaper.

He recorded and toured with the Stones and belonged to Keith Richards' solo excursion, the New Barbarians. Back in the States, he put together the first Bump Band to back his first solo album. He moved to Los Angeles and fell in with bad company.

"Too many drugs," he said. "I gave up music and then I found out it wasn't music I gave up, it was the useless friends and the drugs. As soon as I figured that out, I wrote like four or five songs within a couple of weeks. I thought, wait a minute, I didn't give up music, it was those a -- I was playing with. The next thing, I got a call from Dylan's people and I was touring with him in a week."

He doesn't see many of his old mates much, but he's clearly a happy man.

"We played in the same city sometime last summer," he said about his former bandmate Stewart. "He played the Verizon megaplex thing and I played a bar. I got in touch with his people. I said here's my cell number. If you fancy coming down after the show just for a drink, it'd be great to see you. I kinda knew he wouldn't make it because I know how he tours. He'd go straight from the stage, to the limousine to the jet, back to Dallas. So he didn't make it by.

"After awhile I told the audience that a pal was probably going to call me. He's playing up the road. They knew who I was talking about. I didn't name names. After awhile I put my cell phone on top of the piano. After every song, I'd look at it. Eventually I'd stop songs in the middle -- 'I think it rang. ' But he never did, God bless him. He had better things to do. The strange thing is before the show I always like to have clean hands and clean teeth. I like to feel clean onstage. So I went in the toilet to brush my teeth and I realized the mirror was so high -- I mean, I'm short, but you'd have to be Kareem Abdul Jabbar to get to this mirror. I stood on the toilet -- one leg on the stall and one leg on the toilet -- and brushed my teeth and made myself look good. I suddenly thought this is absolutely funny because here I am in this piss-hole, trying to get myself ready, while Rod is at the Verizon.

"I just laughed out loud. I said 'I wouldn't change a f -- ing thing.' This is what I do. It's a piss-hole, but what a great crowd. What a great night I had."

Ian McLagan and the Bump Band and the Mike Therieau Band will appear at 8 p.m. Thursday at Slim’s, 333 11th St. Tickets: $15. Call (415) 255-0333 or visit www.slims-sf.com.
February 9th, 2005 03:36 PM
voodoopug
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:
Ian McLagan carries his own weight to Slim's

Joel Selvin, Chronicle Senior Pop Music Critic
Wednesday, February 9, 2005

When he handled keyboards in Rod Stewart's band, Ian McLagan refused to play "Do Ya Think I'm Sexy." He would stand behind his organ with his arms crossed, as Stewart pranced around to the disco beat.

"It's an insult to the mentality of any musician," said McLagan. "Plus it's just a rip-off of 'Miss You,' which I also played on."

Of course, McLagan was no ordinary hired hand in Stewart's band. He was a member of the British rock group Small Faces long before Stewart joined and the name was shortened to the Faces, so Stewart probably could have expected that kind of insubordination.

McLagan -- known as "Mac" -- is one of the great journeymen of British rock. The pint-sized 59-year-old lives in Austin, Texas, with his wife of 27 years, Kim. Each has a grown child from previous marriages and his stepdaughter has made him a grandfather.

Back home, McLagan's Bump Band (who appear this Thursday at Slim's) play happy hour every Thursday night at the Lucky Lounge in Austin.

He takes his turn driving the band's van. He humps his own gear, although he swears he is through lifting the organ when he turns 60 in May. ("Singers," he said. "Rod never even carried a microphone.") His band's new album, "Rise and Shine," his fifth solo album, is an agreeable slice of barroom rock. Bassist Mark Andes played with '60s rockers Spirit and guitarist "Scrappy" Jud Newcomb is one of the sparkplugs of the Austin music scene who belongs to a half dozen different bands.

McLagan is a long way from the Champagne, caviar and cocaine circuit he once traveled as a member of one of rock's most beloved party bands. But he's been on the scene from the very beginning, when he was an art school student and musician who used to crowd into tiny clubs to see a new blues band called the Rolling Stones in west London, where he grew up.

"I couldn't believe they were kinda my age," he said. "But they were white and they were from England. They were London boys. Everybody in the front row -- we'd all get as close as we could -- were all band members going 'we could do this ... maybe we could do this.' "

McLagan joined the Small Faces in 1965, a recording outfit with impeccable Mod credentials, long well-established with more than a dozen hits on the English charts when Rod Stewart joined as vocalist in 1969.

The band broke up in 1975, after Stewart recorded several successful solo albums and the band's billing changed to Rod Stewart and the Faces, and guitarist Ronnie Wood joined the Rolling Stones. McLagan got the word reading the newspaper.

He recorded and toured with the Stones and belonged to Keith Richards' solo excursion, the New Barbarians. Back in the States, he put together the first Bump Band to back his first solo album. He moved to Los Angeles and fell in with bad company.

"Too many drugs," he said. "I gave up music and then I found out it wasn't music I gave up, it was the useless friends and the drugs. As soon as I figured that out, I wrote like four or five songs within a couple of weeks. I thought, wait a minute, I didn't give up music, it was those a -- I was playing with. The next thing, I got a call from Dylan's people and I was touring with him in a week."

He doesn't see many of his old mates much, but he's clearly a happy man.

"We played in the same city sometime last summer," he said about his former bandmate Stewart. "He played the Verizon megaplex thing and I played a bar. I got in touch with his people. I said here's my cell number. If you fancy coming down after the show just for a drink, it'd be great to see you. I kinda knew he wouldn't make it because I know how he tours. He'd go straight from the stage, to the limousine to the jet, back to Dallas. So he didn't make it by.

"After awhile I told the audience that a pal was probably going to call me. He's playing up the road. They knew who I was talking about. I didn't name names. After awhile I put my cell phone on top of the piano. After every song, I'd look at it. Eventually I'd stop songs in the middle -- 'I think it rang. ' But he never did, God bless him. He had better things to do. The strange thing is before the show I always like to have clean hands and clean teeth. I like to feel clean onstage. So I went in the toilet to brush my teeth and I realized the mirror was so high -- I mean, I'm short, but you'd have to be Kareem Abdul Jabbar to get to this mirror. I stood on the toilet -- one leg on the stall and one leg on the toilet -- and brushed my teeth and made myself look good. I suddenly thought this is absolutely funny because here I am in this piss-hole, trying to get myself ready, while Rod is at the Verizon.

"I just laughed out loud. I said 'I wouldn't change a f -- ing thing.' This is what I do. It's a piss-hole, but what a great crowd. What a great night I had."

Ian McLagan and the Bump Band and the Mike Therieau Band will appear at 8 p.m. Thursday at Slim’s, 333 11th St. Tickets: $15. Call (415) 255-0333 or visit www.slims-sf.com.

i remember reading somewhere that Mick paid Mac out of his pocket for contributing to the Some Girls album, and wasnt it a very insulting amount?

I would like to see the Bump band, i missed my chance the last time they were in chicago
February 9th, 2005 11:11 PM
prodigalson1965 TTM,

Thanks for a highly informitave, and great article! It answered some curiosities that I've had for years...
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood