ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Unknown artist - provided by Cucho Peņaloza
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAŅOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Rock Hall Sues for Trademark Infringement (NSC) Return to archive
February 9th, 2005 06:31 AM
Ten Thousand Motels Rock Hall Sues for Trademark Infringement

By THOMAS J. SHEERAN, Associated Press Writer

CLEVELAND - The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame has sued the online Jewish Rock and Roll Hall of Fame over alleged trademark infringements of the rock hall's name.

The lawsuit filed Monday in Cleveland seeks to halt the use of the name Jewish Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and award the Cleveland rock hall unspecified damages. The lawsuit claims the rock hall has sold more than $5 million in licensed items in the past 10 years, and the Jewish rock hall jeopardizes that brand.

David Segal, a writer for The Washington Post and one of founders of the Jewish rock hall, said backers plan to launch the new Web site next month. The Jewish rock hall's site showed a single message Tuesday: Future Home of JewsRock.org.

"The idea that the public could possibly be confused between a large museum backed by any number of corporations and a Web site run by a couple of Jewish guys is kind of nuts," he said.

Jeffrey Goldberg, a writer for The New Yorker magazine and another Jewish rock hall founder, called the organization "a little Web-based exercise in ethnic pride."

"It seems to be improbable that these people own 'rock 'n' roll,' it's entirely unlikely they own the phrase 'hall of fame,' and I know for sure they don't own the Jews," Goldberg said.

Segal and Goldberg are both named as defendants in the suit, along with the other Jewish rock hall founder, XM Satellite Radio executive Allen Goldberg.

According to the lawsuit, the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office last month denied the Jewish rock hall's application for a trademark on its name based on the likelihood of "confusion with the Rock Hall" trademarks.

Following the ruling, the rock hall demanded the Jewish rock hall stop using its trademarks, similar logos and the words "Jewish Rock and Roll Hall of Fame," but the Jewish rock hall refused.

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum opened in 1995 in an glass pyramid building alongside Lake Erie. It has attracted more than 5.5 million visitors.
February 9th, 2005 09:59 AM
nankerphelge Wow -- jb and I may finally meet in court!
February 9th, 2005 10:13 AM
Joey
quote:
nankerphelge wrote:
Wow -- jb and I may finally meet in court!

Can I be your muse ?
February 9th, 2005 10:41 AM
voodoopug
quote:
Joey wrote:

Can I be your muse ?

can i be a hostile witness?
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood