ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Unknown artist - provided by Cucho Peņaloza
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAŅOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: What happened to the 89 MTV prize of meeting the Stones?.....From Ian Return to archive
February 8th, 2005 05:39 AM
IanBillen
Remember in 89 MTV had a drawing in that someone would get to meet the Stones and fly with them on their own private jet to a show with back-stage passes and all?

I never seen who won or knew what happened there. Does anyone remember who won as in how old they were or what type of person and was there any coverage of how it went?

Ian
February 8th, 2005 06:46 AM
Gazza Apparently he's still waiting on it but it should happen around the same time as he gets his fan club DVD
February 8th, 2005 07:32 AM
Jumacfly
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Apparently he's still waiting on it but it should happen around the same time as he gets his fan club DVD

LOL
I m sure they've asked him to pay his flying ticket
February 8th, 2005 10:37 AM
ResidentMule Blondie Chaplin won, that's how he landed the gig
February 8th, 2005 10:44 AM
Gazza Blondie denies this and sends us this photo to prove he's already rehearsing for the 2005 tour...

February 8th, 2005 11:29 AM
voodoopug
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Blondie denies this and sends us this photo to prove he's already rehearsing for the 2005 tour...

Its "Sideshow Blonde"!
February 8th, 2005 12:20 PM
ResidentMule
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Blondie denies this and sends us this photo to prove he's already rehearsing for the 2005 tour...

that's too fuckin funny.

I've always found something funny about all the Chuck bashing and how it would be so much better without the 'dead weight' provided by the horns section, and still we tolerate Blondie
February 8th, 2005 12:23 PM
luxury1 Ha--you are on a roll today, Gazza!!

That comparison to Sideshow Bob is too realistic. But, hey, I am never gonna dis Blondie. He is most accessible before and after the shows, and he carries lots of party tools, or at least knows where to get them.......
I am hoping he is still around for the next tour.
February 8th, 2005 12:29 PM
prodigalson1965 From I.O.R.R. archives...

Diane Lawson, U.S., fan since 1965, I enjoyed going on tour w/Stones in 1989
Joe Lawson , U.S, fan since 1965, likes Won'89 MTV 24hrs.w/Stones contest w/wife
February 8th, 2005 12:30 PM
prodigalson1965 I forgot to add----> Lucky ba*tards!!!
February 8th, 2005 03:14 PM
Gazza How on EARTH did you manage to find that post!!???
February 8th, 2005 04:38 PM
prodigalson1965 I'll never tell! You can't make me!!! Not even if you make me listen to "Meatloaf" for the rest of the week!!!!
Wow, I just scared myself with the "Meatloaf" thing... (~shudder~) ---> I'll talk!, I'll talk!!!

I did a google search for "Rolling Stones, MTV contest, 1989", and Thar she blows!

I've seen a part in a video (25 X 5 I think?) and there are outtakes from the filming of the contest ad that ran on MTV. Also, there's a shot of the woman walking around the stage before the show...
February 8th, 2005 05:13 PM
IanBillen
quote:
prodigalson1965 wrote:
From I.O.R.R. archives...

Diane Lawson, U.S., fan since 1965, I enjoyed going on tour w/Stones in 1989
Joe Lawson , U.S, fan since 1965, likes Won'89 MTV 24hrs.w/Stones contest w/wife

Woe,
Excellent Work!!! I am truly impressed. Thank you so much. You truly are a prodical son! Any idea how it supposeably went? Did they have any comments?

Ian
February 8th, 2005 05:14 PM
voodoopug
quote:
prodigalson1965 wrote:
I'll never tell! You can't make me!!! Not even if you make me listen to "Meatloaf" for the rest of the week!!!!
Wow, I just scared myself with the "Meatloaf" thing... (~shudder~) ---> I'll talk!, I'll talk!!!

I did a google search for "Rolling Stones, MTV contest, 1989", and Thar she blows!

I've seen a part in a video (25 X 5 I think?) and there are outtakes from the filming of the contest ad that ran on MTV. Also, there's a shot of the woman walking around the stage before the show...

great work!
February 8th, 2005 05:30 PM
prodigalson1965 I don't know if MTV did a post show interview with them or not, so I can't say with any accuracy what thier reactions were at the time... The term "Awestruck" comes to mind though... I doubt that they could really complain about winning such an exclusive contest... Front row/on stage with the Stones, autographs, guitar picks, drum sticks, chowin' down with them back stage, ect, ect, ect... Shit, a lifetime of memories in the span of 24 hours... If they DID complain about anything, they should be flogged!
No, seriously if they had anything to bitch about, the press would have been all over it, and given the way the press seems to treat the Stones, we would still be reading about it... Just my opinion though...
February 8th, 2005 06:39 PM
corgi37 I wouldnt dis Blondie too much. He will probably be playing 90% of Keiths guitar licks this tour, while Keith just poses.

As for that comp winner, there is no footage in 25 x 5 that i recall. But, wasnt there something about it in that German 5 dvd set that came out in 2002?

Because, i seem to recall seeing the chick and her hubby on the plane. Really "cool" they were. hahaha. OMG, Stones fans, so old, so fast we grow.
February 8th, 2005 06:50 PM
prodigalson1965 Hi Corgi37!

Man, I can't remember where the hell I saw that clip now, but it's the same video that has the Stones sitting on the curb-side, laughing at each other for screwing up the take during the filming of the commercial for MTV... I'll have to dig through a box of old VCR tapes to find it though... Another thought/question... Were there different versions of 25 x 5 for N. America and Europe?
February 8th, 2005 07:15 PM
Gazza No, but there are 3 different edits

1) the original TV broadcast from December 1989 - around 107 mins

2) the home video (released march 1990) - about 130 mins. Simply a longer cut of the above

3) the "demo" version, which has only circulated unofficially. Mostly the same as the above, but with some different footage, particularly from '89 - additional footage from the "Steel Wheels" recording sessions (including a clip of a studio jam of "hellhound on my Trail" and a bit more '89 tour footage)
February 8th, 2005 07:44 PM
prodigalson1965 Thanks Gazza! I had no idea... The reason I asked is because I could swear that the footage I'm talking about is on 25 x 5... I don't think that the footage of some contest winners in N. America would be on a European release for the simple fact that... well, who would give a shit (in Europe) who won a contest in N. America??? I could very well be wrong though, as mass consumption of chemicals over the years has left the `ol brain a bit weary...
February 9th, 2005 01:48 AM
glencar I have the Lawsons on tape winning this contest. They were blue collar people who seemed overwhelmed by their win. They went to the Atlantic City show & they played billiards with the Stones. The Stones (esp. KR & RW) were very nice to them.
February 9th, 2005 03:10 AM
IanBillen
Thank you very much. I always wondered about this till this day. Thanks to the nice work of the board I have some answers finally.

By the way when the Stones were rehearsing that part for the MTV contest it was when Keith was saying "if you can keep up with us" and actually I think they may have been on a bed not a road side curb. I can remember Mick rolling back on the bed laughing at the screw ups.

Ian
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood