ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Unknown artist - provided by Cucho Peņaloza
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAŅOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: The Pantheon of Rock n Roll Gods Return to archive
February 4th, 2005 01:24 PM
Ten Thousand Motels I was just wondering where the Beach Boys stood.

1. Stones
2. Dylan
3. Beatles

etc...etc....
February 4th, 2005 01:47 PM
doo doo doo Dude
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:
I was just wondering where the Beach Boys stood.

1. Stones
2. Dylan
3. Beatles

etc...etc....

The Beach Boys are definitly in my top five. They never rocked per se, and aren't everybody's cup of tea but musically they certainly influenced a lot of bands in the sixties, especially their harmonies which are unmatched.
February 4th, 2005 01:59 PM
Ten Thousand Motels "Do It Again" almost rocks.
February 4th, 2005 02:08 PM
doo doo doo Dude They actually rocked best when Blondie Chaplin was in the band from 72-74.
February 5th, 2005 02:49 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Brian Wilson Getting Last Laugh with 'SMiLE'

By Tamara Conniff

NEW YORK (Billboard) - It's been a stunning year for Brian Wilson.

The former Beach Boy released his rerecording of the group's "SMiLE" album to critical acclaim, and staged a worldwide tour chock-full of standing ovations. The original "SMiLE," recorded more than 37 years ago, was never released officially.

The Nonesuch Records release bowed at No. 13 on The Billboard 200. The set, whose full title is "Brian Wilson Presents SMiLE," has sold more than 300,000 units, according to Nielsen SoundScan, and has been nominated for three awards at the Grammys (news - web sites) on Feb. 13. Two nights before that, he will be feted as industry charity MusiCares' person of the year at the Palladium in Hollywood.

Wilson is already writing songs for his next opus. "I think it will be a rock'n'roll album," he says. "Wouldn't that be great? 'SMiLE' was a pop album. We need rock'n'roll for sure. We just want to try to make something that makes people get out of their seats and dance."

He laughs heartily just musing about his new rock tunes, yet his eyes can turn to shadows quickly. Wilson has long received treatment for mental illness, and he says he still battles mood swings.

"SMiLE" was scrapped in 1967 as Wilson neared a mental breakdown. Drugs, pressure from the other Beach Boys -- especially his cousin Mike Love -- and Wilson's weak mental state doomed the project. Though the album was shelved, a few original "SMiLE" tracks -- "Wonderful," "Heroes and Villains" and "Surf's Up" -- found their way onto subsequent Beach Boys releases.

"People are much more ready for 'SMiLE' today," Wilson says. "It was ahead of its time. I'm glad I waited. Now it's finally time."

Wilson describes "SMiLE" as the American journey -- it takes listeners on a magical mystery ride from Plymouth Rock to Hawaii. "It represents early Americana. The Beach Boys were very American, but 'SMiLE' is even more Americana, I think."

The new "SMiLE" sessions were not all easy. Wilson admits he feared that the bad memories of 1967 would haunt him. "I had some of that," he says. "But I got through it ... It brought back a lot of memories of when we were on drugs, stuff like that. And it brought back good memories because of all the creativity that went into it."

The demons, however, are never far away. "I've overcome a lot of them," he says. "Not all of them, but some of them ... Most people don't understand my moods."

Wilson credits his perseverance largely to his wife Melinda.

"I found the spirit," Wilson says. "(Melinda) inspired me. She gave me a solo career. It was her idea. I owe my life to her."

Wilson adds that his current band is better than the Beach Boys. "I've never played with a band so good in my life."

Wilson enlisted the help of old friend and original "SMiLE" collaborator Van Dyke Parks. Wilson and bandleader Darian Sahanaja were laboring to read a 38-year-old lyric sheet to "Do You Like Worms?" (renamed "Roll Plymouth Rock" on the new album). Wilson called Parks, who remembered the song verbatim, and the friendship was reborn.

Parks "created a third movement for 'SMiLE' with me," Wilson says excitedly. "So we have three movements instead of two."

During Wilson's performance of "SMiLE" last fall at Disney Hall in Los Angeles, Parks made a surprise appearance, receiving a standing ovation.

Wilson still can't grasp the impact and success that "SMiLE" has had. "I wake up in the morning and I go, 'Oh, my God, I thank you, God, for another day of life."'

Reuters/Billboard
February 5th, 2005 10:46 PM
time is on my side I've always been a fan of the BEACH BOYS (the one with Brian Wilson in charge; the one where he could still function mentally; the one in which he was still a perfectionist creating new sounds in the studio; the one that mysteriously disappeared around 1967 and was never to be heard from again). Yes that BEACH BOYS (the one that made great singles AND was known as a singles band until they shocked the world with PET SOUNDS). It's a shame what happened to them. No, for those that don't remember, I'm not talking about the Mike Love solo band (that's the nostalgic band with the Hawaiian shirts- the one that plays in your town once or twice a year). No, I'm not talking about that band. That's the Mike Love solo band. He's the one with the fancy lawyers. If your mentally unstable, you don't want to face his lawyers. They're real mean, nasty people. They'll take you for everything your worth.

I've been fortunate to see Brian Wilson twice the last four years and never thought I would live to see the day where I'd see Brian Wilson on stage. GREAT SHOWS. FANTASTIC SHOWS. The first one, I saw the entire album Pet Sounds played live; the second one saw the entire album, SMILE, played live. Brian has put out some really average to below average solo albums (though for some reason I love the first one) but SMILE is a GREAT ALBUM though I doubt there are many on this board who would agree with me. Loved it and it shows how far he was ahead of his times back in 1967.

[Edited by time is on my side]
February 6th, 2005 12:43 AM
Zack I am a HUGE fan of the vintage Beach Boys (1963-7) and was apoplectic with joy when Smile was so surprisingly resurrected. After years of listening to the boots, the finished version didn't disappoint me in any way. I recommend "Brian Wilson Presents Smile" unequivocally to anyone reading this post.

I consider Brian Wilson to be in the tippety top of the rock and roll pantheon, right next to Mick and Keith, Lennon and McCartney, Pete Townshend, and Ray Davies.
February 6th, 2005 12:47 AM
Zack and Dylan . . . and Jerry Garcia.
February 6th, 2005 09:40 AM
Nasty Habits Do It Again TOTALLY rocks.

I love the Beach Boys.
Love them love them love them.

Wild Honey is a great record.
Sunflower is one of the all time lost classics.
And Beach Boys' Party kills like nobody's business.

Aside from the fact that I thought it could use a shot of Carl and Mike here and there, I thought SMiLE was way more of a success than it had any right to be. I play it a LOT.

February 8th, 2005 01:24 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Nasty Habits wrote:
Do It Again TOTALLY rocks.

Great song IMO, except its too damn short...just enough to suck you in and then it's over.

February 8th, 2005 02:30 PM
FPM C10
quote:
Zack wrote:

I consider Brian Wilson to be in the tippety top of the rock and roll pantheon, right next to Mick and Keith, Lennon and McCartney, Pete Townshend, and Ray Davies.

Yeah, Brian is definitely up there. His BAND is another thing. I think Mike Love is one of the most repugnant human beings ever to crawl the earth - remember his comments upon being inducted into the HoF asking "how many gigs did the Beatles play this year?" What an ASSHOLE. He's not in any pantheon I envision. The rest of the gang ranged from mediocre to mildly talented.

The great great great "Beach Boys" stuff had more to do with Brian and a roomful of really talented studio musicians. And his family members singing the parts he told them to sing. The really brilliant stuff was done despite the protests of the rest of the band, and like Elvis, they spent the bulk of their career ruining the great reputation their earlier work rightfully earned.

My faves are "God Only Knows", "In My Room", "Wouldn't It Be Nice", of course "Good Vibrations", and my all-time favorite is their interpretation of "Sloop John B". Those songs alone are enough to assure Brian a spot in the pantheon, and there are a lot more. However, I am not a fan of their early hot rod and surfboard ditties, and their latter-day squabbles and July 4 appearances in DC at the request of Ron & Nancy Reagan leave a horrible taste in my mouth.
February 8th, 2005 02:38 PM
MrPleasant
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:

Great song IMO, except its too damn short...just enough to suck you in and then it's over.

Push the reload button.

The Stones didn't do that many short songs, right? Even The Ramones unconventionally chose to cover "Out of time" for Acid Eaters. (They also rendered a great version of "Surfin' safari". As a B side, I think.)

[Edited by MrPleasant]
February 9th, 2005 04:59 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
FPM C10 wrote:
I think Mike Love is one of the most repugnant human beings ever to crawl the earth -

Well I don't know if I'd go quite that far, but he just seems to me to be the kind of guy that takes himself waaaay far too seriously. (bad sense of perspective, life is far too short to take oneself all THAT seriously....no matter who you are..IMO)
February 9th, 2005 03:33 PM
voodoopug
quote:
Zack wrote:
I am a HUGE fan of the vintage Beach Boys (1963-7) and was apoplectic with joy when Smile was so surprisingly resurrected. After years of listening to the boots, the finished version didn't disappoint me in any way. I recommend "Brian Wilson Presents Smile" unequivocally to anyone reading this post.

didnt Uncle Jesse from TV's Full House join the touring band in its later version?
February 10th, 2005 12:48 AM
Zack Sad, but I think that's true. But as FPM pointed out, Brian and the Beach Boys are two separate entities after 1967, and weren't really even a group during their 65-67 classic period, just session singers for Brian who cashed the checks. Reaching the apex of ignominy, the group (with Brian!) appeared on an episode of Full House, and Brian harmonized to Kokomo (a horribly parody of his earlier work) even though he had nothing to do with the recording. These beats out by a small margin their collaboration with the Fat Boys.

Essential albums:

Endless Summer
Beach Boys Today
Pet Sounds
Sunflower (the "group's" best by a mile, included Brian's fantastic "This Whole World")
Brian Wilson Presents Smile

Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood