ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Unknown artist - provided by Cucho Peñaloza
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Macca keeps it clean to Bowl 'em over (NSC) Return to archive
February 4th, 2005 11:15 AM
Ten Thousand Motels Macca keeps it clean to Bowl 'em over

04/02/2005 - IO
A year after the Janet Jackson boob, US television has come up with the perfect way to clean up its act at halftime of the Super Bowl on Sunday: hire Paul McCartney to entertain.

Paul McCartney will be the only performer during the National Football League’s 12 minute extravaganza in Jacksonville, Florida.

He promises not to cause the same furore Jackson stirred up last season when Justin Timberlake tore open her top at the end of the show and revealed her bare breast - the infamous “wardrobe malfunction”.

And so, the former Beatles star has come full circle. Considered among the most edgy entertainers in the world during the 1960s, he has now become the safe choice.

“I had a slight inkling that there might be something like that attached to it,” McCartney said last night.

“That’s OK. It’s an honour to do it.”

McCartney’s play list – he has hundreds of songs to choose from – is a secret, although everything has been vetted and approved by the NFL to ensure he doesn’t sing anything that might be offensive.

The 62-year-old icon joked about the possibility of exposing flesh during the halftime show.

“I can assure you I won’t,” McCartney said, “because I’ll be naked”.

Fox, which is televising the game, has opted against an eight-second delay of the telecast as a way of preventing something inappropriate from airing. Short delays on live events became much more popular in the aftermath of the Jackson affair.

“Basically, we’re treating the Super Bowl as a news event,” spokesman Dan Hill said. “We don’t believe in tape delaying news events.”

The Jackson episode dominated conversation about the game for weeks afterward. It prompted congressional hearings, stricter Federal Communication Commission rules and triggered fines against the US stations that carried the game.
February 4th, 2005 12:07 PM
rolling who And so, the former Beatles star has come full circle. Considered among the most edgy entertainers in the world during the 1960s, he has now become the safe choice.

HUH?
February 4th, 2005 08:33 PM
mac_daddy i fell out of my chair last night, laughing, when i heard him say on the news that he was going to "rock..."

macca has done alot of things, but he has NEVER rocked.
February 5th, 2005 01:25 AM
MrPleasant
quote:
mac_daddy wrote:

"Momma Miss America", IMO, does. Everything else (rock, not pop) should be taken with a grain of salt (i.e. tongue-in-cheekish "Rock show", "Girls school" and "Old Siam sir", not garbage like "Freedom" or "Angry").

He shouldn't say he's going to rock, though. NEVER. At least not in a safe environment.
[Edited by MrPleasant]
February 5th, 2005 10:25 AM
Nasty Habits
quote:
mac_daddy wrote:
i fell out of my chair last night, laughing, when i heard him say on the news that he was going to "rock..."

Oh, come on.

Sure, he should be strung up for his sins, possibly never allowed near a stage again, certainly forbidden from EVER singing Let It Be, Hey Jude, or ANY slow Beatles song in front of a throng of candle holding crying along-singers, but give the guy I'm Down and Long Tall Sally, please.

February 5th, 2005 10:43 AM
Nellcote Recently, the only thing that ROCKS for Macca was his drummer, who could've been mistaken for Refrigerator Perry of Da Bears. Slam dunk we get the "chilling" Freedom..
February 5th, 2005 10:53 AM
mac_daddy
quote:
Nasty Habits wrote:

Sure, he should be strung up for his sins, possibly never allowed near a stage again, certainly forbidden from EVER singing Let It Be, Hey Jude, or ANY slow Beatles song in front of a throng of candle holding crying along-singers,

just like elton singing "candle in the wind" - yuk!

quote:
Nasty Habits also wrote:

Oh, come on... give the guy I'm Down and Long Tall Sally, please.

borderline, at best. sorry, nasty - i have always thought paul was a pussy. lennon was the sh*t, but one of the things that turned me off of the beatles (at a very young age) were all the macca tunes.

February 5th, 2005 11:10 AM
rolling who
quote:
Nasty Habits wrote:

Oh, come on.

Sure, he should be strung up for his sins, possibly never allowed near a stage again, certainly forbidden from EVER singing Let It Be, Hey Jude, or ANY slow Beatles song in front of a throng of candle holding crying along-singers, but give the guy I'm Down and Long Tall Sally, please.

And "Helter Skelter."
February 5th, 2005 11:13 AM
mac_daddy
quote:
rolling who wrote:

And "Helter Skelter."

i'll give you that one.
February 7th, 2005 06:45 PM
lebrontosaur Funny picture at www.thesideliner.com:

http://www.carlosloozer.com/Images/...y_superbowl.jpg
February 7th, 2005 08:35 PM
Soldatti He played good and his band is great, especially the drummer.
February 8th, 2005 02:37 AM
padre Sounded and looked good to me, too. The screens as catwalks looked cool.
I really can not believe that it took only SIX MINUTES to build up the whole stage set and get the crowd on the field! And FIVE to take the set off! It's friggin' unbelieveable!!
February 8th, 2005 03:02 AM
IanBillen
He is one whimpy guy.

The guy is every elder house wife's idol.

Reguardless I think he sounded horse. I am not just saying that either. I have heard him sound really good in his elder years but this time he sounded horse.

Ian

February 8th, 2005 04:25 AM
MrPleasant I didn't see him. I don't think I missed anything special. His contemporary mechanical concerts don't appeal to me, and his interviews are based upon boring congratulations to himself.

Thankfully, I can treasure his solo seventies discography. It's "just pop", but "so were" the Beach Boys (although, truth to be told, "solo Macca" is significantly more diverse). Great stuff.

Of course, if I go see him, I might know different.
[Edited by MrPleasant]
February 8th, 2005 09:05 AM
lotsajizz
quote:
IanBillen wrote:

Reguardless I think he sounded horse. I am not just saying that either. I have heard him sound really good in his elder years but this time he sounded horse.

like Mister Ed?

February 8th, 2005 09:15 AM
Joey

BEST MACCA YET !!!!

" I respect and admire a CASH COW Ronnie ! "

M. Jackyfly !
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood