ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Unknown artist - provided by Cucho Peņaloza
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAŅOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: A brief mention of The Stones to play Stadiums and the new album out in June.....From Ian Return to archive Page: 1 2
February 4th, 2005 03:17 AM
IanBillen I seen this on another Stones site:

This is from this link on Philly.com which has an entertainment section. Says The Stones will play stadiums and again the new album is due out in June. It more-less seems as if they heard what we heard but I figured I should post it.

The article states this:

"Headliners are expected to play at least some stadium shows this year. They include Paul McCartney; the Rolling Stones, who have an album due in June;"

Here is the link: http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/entertainment/10803353.htm?1c

Ian
February 4th, 2005 03:23 AM
Pierre I don't think so, the album is now for september-october 2005
February 4th, 2005 03:45 AM
IanBillen
quote:
Pierre wrote:
I don't think so, the album is now for september-october 2005

Says what reliable source???

Anything some-what official or is this just the same old "my sources tell me" or "some guy I know says" BS?

Ian
February 4th, 2005 04:38 AM
Gazza Thing is, you dont know if that site is breaking a new story or just rehashing old gossip.

June is 4 months away. I dont think theres a chance in hell of an album being out by then
February 4th, 2005 05:10 AM
IanBillen
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Thing is, you dont know if that site is breaking a new story or just rehashing old gossip.

June is 4 months away. I dont think theres a chance in hell of an album being out by then

Yeah I know. But Gazza, it is not that much of an understatement....(or over-statement)I think it will be deivered by mid-July. Keith and Don Was both say so. And I am tellin you, they have got alot done on this thing already. A few more months in the studio say till late March early April, and mix in late April and May into very early June. Album in mid July.

I know that would be a rushed schedule normally but I think a few more months in the Studio and they will be done with the recording part of it. I think The songs were all written ready to record last month. They started in January. Four months to just to record the songs is plenty good if they were already written and demoed.

Ian
February 4th, 2005 05:43 AM
Nellcote If ANY record company allows them to release an album in the July or August, that record firm is not expecting much from the disc. Those are throwaway months in the music business for new releases. Retrospectives or greatest hits would do fine then, not new product. The pr machine is at the beach, with most of the record buying public. What was, is not now.
Fall is maximum exposure, with everyone back on routine. Ian, not for nuthin, but keep one eye on the papers, one eye on the Stones boards, then add four months for good measure for the best 411....
February 4th, 2005 05:46 AM
Pierre Fan of ACDC ( Sony records), I know that the releases schedule for spring (until June) is fixed...

So, I deduct that for the Stones...

Besides the record is not achieved no ?
February 4th, 2005 05:59 AM
IanBillen
quote:
Nellcote wrote:
If ANY record company allows them to release an album in the July or August, that record firm is not expecting much from the disc. Those are throwaway months in the music business for new releases. Retrospectives or greatest hits would do fine then, not new product. The pr machine is at the beach, with most of the record buying public. What was, is not now.
Fall is maximum exposure, with everyone back on routine. Ian, not for nuthin, but keep one eye on the papers, one eye on the Stones boards, then add four months for good measure for the best 411....

Fall is a good time to release the album but many Stones albums have came out in August, June, and even July without any sales problem at all. Voodoo Lounge came out in July. Releasing an album any time in the summer is perfectly fine and that goes for any group.

If you can't release an album in the summer months anymore then what good is anything? Albums come out all year round with January and Febuary being the least for new releases.
I could see if it was like mid-January or something right after the holidays but it's July or August for crimony's sake here. Yes, an album does do better with a major tour to boot it off and I realise that. An album with no tour or any special promotion sales can be released any time from spring through December without any effect on it's over-all sales.

I do like your advice on staying fully informed though. Very good stuff there.

Ian
February 4th, 2005 01:05 PM
BILL PERKS IAN- PLEASE RELAX..IT'LL BE OUT AND YOU WILL KNOW IT BEFORE PHILLY.COM..JUST KEEP READING HERE AND SDBEE AND YOU'LL LEARN ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW..MAINSTREAM MEDIA HAS NO INTEREST IN WHAT THEY DO-THEY JUST REHASH OLD SHIT..HOW MANY REHASHES FROM 1 ROUND OF DON WAS QUOTES?
February 4th, 2005 01:50 PM
Ten Thousand Motels HEY PERKS!

HAVE YOU POSTED AT CASA DE MAXY YET? THEY'RE WAITING FOR YOU.
[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
February 4th, 2005 06:01 PM
Bob Tamp If the Stones want a quick chance of hitting # 1 on the US album charts they should release it sometime in the summer when no other trendy shit is on the release schedule from some major artist. The Stones unfortunately can not compete with Eminem or Brittney or most of the awful shit that sells a lot these days.
February 4th, 2005 07:32 PM
Gazza
quote:
BILL PERKS wrote:
IAN- PLEASE RELAX..IT'LL BE OUT AND YOU WILL KNOW IT BEFORE PHILLY.COM..JUST KEEP READING HERE AND SDBEE AND YOU'LL LEARN ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW..MAINSTREAM MEDIA HAS NO INTEREST IN WHAT THEY DO-THEY JUST REHASH OLD SHIT..HOW MANY REHASHES FROM 1 ROUND OF DON WAS QUOTES?

exactly. If anything, the "mainstream media" will get the lowdown on anything after its common knowledge in fan circles.
February 4th, 2005 07:56 PM
IanBillen
You know, I want The Stones to play arenas in the middle again as in 75 and 81. This would be cool. Or would this look a little dated now? I think it depends on the set-up. If it was done right and really cool looking then it would be a nice change-up.

Anyone eles interested in this?

Ian
February 4th, 2005 09:01 PM
Gazza Personally, no. Arenas in the middle? do you mean "in the round" shows? I dont recall them doing that before.

Anyway,

1) the sound, if the b-stage format they've used in the last couple of tours is anything to go by, is invariably shite and muddy at best. There were lots of complaints about the pisspoor sound at many shows on the last tour - and the Stones do seem, more than most major acts from the impression I get, to still have problems mastering that part of their show. Its bad enough at their prices to pay through the nose for a concert you cant hear properly, and the problem is magnified during the b-stage set. Two hours of inconsistent sound, added to the fact that for half of the people in the arena youre going to be looking at the band from behind, is a show I would personally avoid at all costs

2) Mick doesnt like 'in the round' shows. He doesnt feel comfortable being that exposed. He doesnt mind it for 3 songs or so, but he's said he'd never do a complete show like that.

[Edited by Gazza]
February 4th, 2005 09:09 PM
Snappy McJack Why not make a stage shaped like the tongue that goes out into the audience?

It can protrude a little bit so there is some sort of in-the-round/main-stage hybrid. It would surely freshen things up a bit; I'm assuming it would be the first time they would use the outline of the logo as a stage, as well.
February 4th, 2005 09:13 PM
Gazza They had a kind of tongue shaped stage at Knebworth - although obviously it didnt protrude in the way you're suggesting!!

February 4th, 2005 09:29 PM
Soldatti
quote:
BILL PERKS wrote:
IAN- PLEASE RELAX..IT'LL BE OUT AND YOU WILL KNOW IT BEFORE PHILLY.COM..JUST KEEP READING HERE AND SDBEE AND YOU'LL LEARN ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW..MAINSTREAM MEDIA HAS NO INTEREST IN WHAT THEY DO-THEY JUST REHASH OLD SHIT..HOW MANY REHASHES FROM 1 ROUND OF DON WAS QUOTES?

It's true, I remember that the press release of Forty Licks was on August 11/12 of 2002 and a month before of that date we had the release date and the name of the album.

Do you want more?

This post appeared on Shidoobee on June 9, 2002:

STONES NEW TUNES!!!!!

Jason the Keithaholic1
(6/9/02 1:18:38 pm)

The Rolling Stones wrapped-up some recording sessions in Paris the other day by
finishing two new songs and more than several demos.

The demos or unfinished tracks are mostly ballads.

Apparently, the freshly cut and mixed "Don't Stop" (or a name similar to that)
will be the rock icons new single. It's a hard-driving riff-based song like
"Start Me Up".

The other completed track features Keith on lead vocals.

That guy had the name of the song almost 3 months before of his release...
February 5th, 2005 12:42 AM
IanBillen [quote]Gazza wrote:
Personally, no. Arenas in the middle? do you mean "in the round" shows? I dont recall them doing that before.

Anyway,

1) the sound, if the b-stage format they've used in the last couple of tours is anything to go by, is invariably shite and muddy at best. There were lots of complaints about the pisspoor sound at many shows on the last tour - and the Stones do seem, more than most major acts from the impression I get, to still have problems mastering that part of their show. Its bad enough at their prices to pay through the nose for a concert you cant hear properly, and the problem is magnified during the b-stage set. Two hours of inconsistent sound, added to the fact that for half of the people in the arena youre going to be looking at the band from behind, is a show I would personally avoid at all costs

2) Mick doesnt like 'in the round' shows. He doesnt feel comfortable being that exposed. He doesnt mind it for 3 songs or so, but he's said he'd never do a complete show like that.

Sure they did Arenas in-the-round before. On two tours. 81 and 75. The arena shows in 81 were in the middle and The stage was shaped like a kidney. It was my second concert ever (first was Bob Dylan...and I met him back-stage and got his autograph....all very true). I was only 10 and under the good gardianship and watchful eye of my parents who were there with me and knew I liked The Stones so much they had to let me go. Richfield Coleseum in Cleveland Ohio, November 1981.

75 had the lotus stage and was in the middle. You know all this Gazza.

Ian
February 5th, 2005 01:15 AM
White House Lawn >>Richfield Coleseum in Cleveland Ohio, November 1981.<<

I was there that night as well--I was 16 years old and it was my first Stones show!

I vaguely remember Etta James opening up--humping Mac's (or Stu's) white piano stage right while she sang "Take It To The Limit?" Did that really happen or was I just drunk?

Didn't "get" back then Etta then (I was too green)--I sure get her as an adult, 'natch!

[Edited by White House Lawn]
February 5th, 2005 01:57 AM
IanBillen
quote:
White House Lawn wrote:
>>Richfield Coleseum in Cleveland Ohio, November 1981.<<

I was there that night as well--I was 16 years old and it was my first Stones show!

I vaguely remember Etta James opening up--humping Mac's (or Stu's) white piano stage right while she sang "Take It To The Limit?" Did that really happen or was I just drunk?

Didn't "get" back then Etta then (I was too green)--I sure get her as an adult, 'natch!

[Edited by White House Lawn]

Very nice!!! I didn't see the opening act. We were outside in the van in the parking lot and then it was time to go. Billy Ambrose was a fellow who was high up in a record company at the time and was a semi-friend of my dads. He moved to Cleveland about three years earlier to be closer to a city and after the 81 show he had dinner with Mick. I seen him years later at a graduation party and I told him how great that was. He said Mick was very gracious and was a nice guy.

Ian

Ian
February 7th, 2005 12:57 AM
corgi37 I recall the rumours going around the 40 licks was going to have a octopuss style stage, with hydaulic arms. Man, i was excited by that!

But a tongue stage would be cool. They could have a folding tongue like the folding lotus petals of 75! Hey, Jagger could stand on it as it "flicks around".

Could be cool as hell.

I know they are getting on a bit, but they gotta have ramps and runways into the crowd.
February 7th, 2005 04:47 AM
Gazza >Sure they did Arenas in-the-round before. On two tours. 81 and 75. The arena shows in 81 were in the middle and The stage was shaped like a kidney. It was my second concert ever (first was Bob Dylan...and I met him back-stage and got his autograph....all very true). I was only 10 and under the good gardianship and watchful eye of my parents who were there with me and knew I liked The Stones so much they had to let me go. Richfield Coleseum in Cleveland Ohio, November 1981.
75 had the lotus stage and was in the middle. You know all this Gazza.

Ian

I know they had seating behind the stage (as they had in '99) but was the stage in the MIDDLE of the arena? It isnt in the Hampton TV show or the LA Forum show from '75.. thats what is generally meant by a show "in the round".

Impressed by the Bob Dylan story!!

February 7th, 2005 05:48 AM
Zack When I saw the Stones at the Cap Centre, Largo MD in 81 it was sort of in the round. The stage was not in the middle of the floor, but all the seats behind were sold. The drum riser moved about 45 degrees one way, then back to the original, then 45 degrees in the other direction as the show progressed. It was not like, say, Yes on the Drama tour, where the stage actually spun around 360 degrees.
February 7th, 2005 06:43 AM
IanBillen Gazza

Well no it wasn't dead center but I know there were people on all sides of the stage but the stage was towards the right of the floor if you know what I mean. But still it was centered with the crowd more on all sides and gave the impression of being in the semi-middle. It wasn't dead center at all no. However it was certainly different from the Licks arena shows or No Security. Licks had nobody back there because it was at the edge of the floor and the stage design debunked that whole aspect. No security had a tad bit of lousey seating back there. 81 was kinda in The Round yes I would say more so than not. I was up high (just three rows from the very back) and to the side of the stage so I really got that impression. I thoought 75 was in the round by the pics I have seen of it? Can you fill me in?

Ian

Impressed by the Bob Dylan story!!

[/quote]
[Edited by IanBillen]
February 7th, 2005 07:24 AM
Gazza Not really, Ian as

1) it was before any tour I attended (1982 was my first, I'm in Europe, dont forget!) and

2) I never saw the Stones play indoors until 1999 (Hartford/No Security tour)

I've only seen '75 and '81 shows on video, so I can only use them as an indication of what the layout was like. There appears to be a decent sized crowd behind the stage at Hampton for example, but the stage appears to be set up near one end of the arena, and nowhere near the middle. LA '75 seems to be something similar.

I was at arena shows in New York, LA, London, Dublin and Glasgow on the Licks tour and there were, as you say, no behind the stage seating at shows on that tour.
[Edited by Gazza]
February 7th, 2005 08:12 AM
T&A I hope the Stones were watching and taking notes on Macca's set yesterday in Jacksonville. Very cool stage design - in the round. Yeah, I know MJ has stated how much he doesn't like it - but Macca seemed pretty comfortable out there. Have no idea how good the sound was - but it sure did look cool.
February 7th, 2005 11:16 AM
glencar How long was Macca out there for?
February 7th, 2005 11:24 AM
BILL PERKS
quote:
glencar wrote:
How long was Macca out there for?

DRIVE MY CAR-GOOD
HEY JUDE-SUCKED
LIVE AND LET DIE-OK
February 7th, 2005 12:17 PM
Gazza
quote:
glencar wrote:
How long was Macca out there for?

About 15 minutes too long
February 7th, 2005 02:32 PM
Jaxx
quote:
BILL PERKS wrote:

DRIVE MY CAR-GOOD
HEY JUDE-SUCKED
LIVE AND LET DIE-OK

he also did GET BACK.
Page: 1 2
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood