ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Unknown artist - provided by Cucho Peņaloza
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAŅOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: When did Keith loose his touch? Return to archive Page: 1 2
February 4th, 2005 02:55 AM
padre It really seems that nowadays ol' Keef seems to be more interested in jamming and hanging out than creating classic Stones material. But when and why did this happen?

The 90's started fine. He'd done lots of work with the Winos and they rocked. During Voodoo Lounge everything was still fine. It was "Keith's album" and it rocked, too. Riffmaster was on fire in studio and on stage on the following tour.
But after the VL tour...
I think he's given more interviews than ever reminiscing the good ol' times, happy playing the old tunes on Stripped, with Willie Nelson or hanging out in fashion shows.
He wrote a couple of tunes for Sheryl Crow which weren't good enough for her to record. For bridges he rewrote Wanna Hold You as Too Tight, couple average uptempo tunes, a ska and those awful album closers. On the tour he spent more time posing than playing.
40 Licks? Losing My Touch. Yes you are. On tour even more posing (wearing those terrible shirts) and when soloing doing the same two or three licks whatever the song is.

So what happened in 1997?
Is it the swollen fingers? Is it the age? Did he run out of Rebel Yell? Yes, I know he's an old man but STILL I somehow think he could still get my rocks off if he wanted to.
Could someone please kick his ass away from whining back to Rocking!! I think he'd need another punch from Chuck Berry to get him back on the track.
February 4th, 2005 08:05 AM
JumpingKentFlash Did he loose his touch? It's news to me..........
February 4th, 2005 08:09 AM
Monkeytonkman Padre, what a cool avatar! I'm more of a John siths man meself, but that is righteous.

Good one dude!
February 4th, 2005 08:13 AM
Moonisup
quote:
JumpingKentFlash wrote:
Did he loose his touch? It's news to me..........

well, not to me
I think after 2000, a true turning point for keith
February 4th, 2005 08:28 AM
Madafaka
quote:
JumpingKentFlash wrote:

Yeah, same here!
February 4th, 2005 08:53 AM
padre He is still the man, but I don't think his dedication is the same as it was 10 years ago. Compared to Charlie or Mick, for example...
February 4th, 2005 09:14 AM
Moonisup well, his playing got worse: simple example:

compare the solos from let's say:
Sympathy 12-12-1997 St. Louis to four flicks
Satisfaction, 12-12-1997 to live licks version
and YGMR solo from any show in Europe 1998 to a bootleg from the 2003 part
and then say again, it's the same
February 4th, 2005 10:10 AM
JumpingKentFlash
quote:
padre wrote:
He is still the man, but I don't think his dedication is the same as it was 10 years ago. Compared to Charlie or Mick, for example...

Yes. That is probably true. But I still think he's got the magic touch. It's just different today.
February 4th, 2005 10:34 AM
sj Keith lose his touch? No way.. the man has SO much feeling. His playing in Melb '03 was incredibly soulful.

--
I'm suprised the a revolution didn't happen in '69.
February 4th, 2005 10:56 AM
T&A somewhere during the NS tour is when I first really noticed the decline. Licks tour clearly showed an "inferior" Keith.
February 4th, 2005 11:24 AM
Nasty Habits I thought he was still quite the sonic innovator on the B2B tour - the notorious "Brown Sound" he got on Out of Control was amazing and he should have exploited it more.

Licks was another matter. I do think his playing lacked focus and specificity on that tour.

These things come and go around and I decline to say that Keith has permanently lost his touch.

February 4th, 2005 11:50 AM
Moonisup we will see that indeed the next tour nasty H
I saw his playing on the Willie nelson dvd with Jerry lee, and I thought: wow I wish he had that spirit with the stones! I don't say it was al that good, but you could see he was cleary having fun doing it.
when I listen to some LIcks boots, I miss the keith-lead, and that was clearly there during BtB, no doubt about that.
February 4th, 2005 11:50 AM
Moonisup we will see that indeed the next tour nasty H
I saw his playing on the Willie nelson dvd with Jerry lee, and I thought: wow I wish he had that spirit with the stones! I don't say it was al that good, but you could see he was cleary having fun doing it.
when I listen to some LIcks boots, I miss the keith-lead, and that was clearly there during BtB, no doubt about that.
February 4th, 2005 05:55 PM
White House Lawn I'm hardly ever negative about the Stones, but I thought Keith sounded downright awful last time around. If it is his knuckles, that sucks, but feeling sorry for him doesn't make him sound any better. All the mugging was annoying and if I see him hug that fucking guitar again I'm gonna puke. PLAY that motherfucker instead!

Ronnie's not much better, either.

Jagger and Charlie were awesome.

I think it's time they brought Waddy in as a third guitarist. Again, they could just put a bag over his head!
[Edited by White House Lawn]
February 4th, 2005 09:01 PM
Soldatti
quote:
White House Lawn wrote:
I think it's time they brought Waddy in as a third guitarist.

That's a good idea, he played great on BTB and kicked ass on Keith's tours. They can drop a guy from the gang (do they need 3 back-up singers and 4 guys on brass?) and put Waddy in for the next tour.
February 4th, 2005 09:09 PM
kath gawd, those turkeys are disgusting.....

keith hasn't lost his touch...the man IS his music and his guitar is an extension of his soul!!!

anybody who says keith has lost his touch is gonna have me in their face.....
February 4th, 2005 09:22 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
kath wrote:
gawd, those turkeys are disgusting.....

I hate turkeys. Bastards fucked with my garden last year. This year I'm thinking about getting a sawed off 12 guage pump action shot gun. That should shoo them away. Bastards.
February 4th, 2005 09:39 PM
kath ommmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

ommmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

ommmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
February 4th, 2005 10:07 PM
gorda
quote:
JumpingKentFlash wrote:

Well, after reading all your negative and mean comments, Mr. Richards decided to cancel the release of the new album and also the tour.

He has decided to become a music teacher.

Gorda will be his first student. He personally will teach Gorda how to play the guitar, and Gorda in exchange will be his personal assistant, bringing him breakfast in bed everyday, running errands for him, plus typing his memoirs . . .

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO00000000oooooooooo!!! Baby!

February 4th, 2005 10:31 PM
White House Lawn >>anybody who says keith has lost his touch is gonna have me in their face.....<<

Aren't we overreacting a tad?
February 4th, 2005 10:49 PM
Zack 1. Arthritis
2. Alcoholism

Next question
February 4th, 2005 11:55 PM
kath
quote:
Aren't we overreacting a tad?

no, not really. i get really tired of the keith bashing.....
February 5th, 2005 12:15 PM
gordo
quote:
gorda wrote:

Well, after reading all your negative and mean comments, Mr. Richards decided to cancel the release of the new album and also the tour.

He has decided to become a music teacher.

Gorda will be his first student. He personally will teach Gorda how to play the guitar, and Gorda in exchange will be his personal assistant, bringing him breakfast in bed everyday, running errands for him, plus typing his memoirs . . .

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO00000000oooooooooo!!! Baby!

NO!!!

i love her
February 5th, 2005 12:39 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
kath wrote:

no, not really. i get really tired of the keith bashing.....

For sure. I thought we came here to praise Caesar not bury him.
February 5th, 2005 01:00 PM
padre No, burying is not the case. It's wanting the riffmeister to play and write songs like I know he only can. Bring back the magic!
February 5th, 2005 01:07 PM
LadyJane
quote:
Zack wrote:
1. Arthritis
2. Alcoholism

Next question

Sad, but true.

BUT...I still believe he has lots of magic left to share with us!! I'll never lose faith in my Keef. NEVER.

LJ.
February 5th, 2005 01:16 PM
Bloozehound I dunno about totally lost his touch, I just get the feeling he's a bit stifled creatively, him and Mick have milked each others creative juices dry, he needs some new stigma

like a super group

Willie, the Hag, Dylan & Keef
February 6th, 2005 05:53 AM
padre Yeah, I also think that he's still got the goods, he just doesn't feel like using them. Maybe bringing Waddy along on stage would lift Keef's spirits. That could be the trick that's needed! And perhaps it was Darryl who sparkled up things in -94...
February 6th, 2005 09:51 AM
Bitch KEITH's still got the talent, but we must consider some facts of (his) life. He's not a young men anymore, as we sometimes forget he's 60+. As some of you younger fans might not know yet, as we get older it takes alot more effort to do the same tnings it did 20 years ago, and you tire out quicker. It's just fuckin harder to do what you used to do the way you used to do it. I think the next tour should be spread out more between shows to give the band more time in between to rest up. Also, it's hard to muster up the same energy & enthusiasm for songs that have been around for 40 years! Some new songs might help with this. And one more thing - years of drug alcohol and tobacco abuse take their toll. It's amazing they have such a strong constitution to survive everything they've been through. So LIGHTEN UP people, they're only human.
February 6th, 2005 10:14 AM
gimmekeef When/If I ever reach my sixties I can only hope to have Keith's level of passion for the game.His playing is surely not what it was but heck you should see my golf game compared to 20 yrs ago......I'm just glad we still have him!
Page: 1 2
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood