ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Unknown artist - provided by Cucho Peņaloza
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAŅOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Why the Forty Licks new songs didn't have a total quality album sound or feel....From Ian Return to archive Page: 1 2
February 4th, 2005 04:53 AM
Jumacfly
quote:
IanBillen wrote:

What empty posts? I was trying to upload my new avatar and it didn't work the first few times.

By the way, how do you like it?

Ian
[Edited by IanBillen]

Classic one baby!
February 4th, 2005 04:55 AM
IanBillen
quote:
Jumacfly wrote:

Classic one baby!

Thanks!

Ian
February 7th, 2005 08:36 PM
corgi37 I agree that it means jack-shit to just about everyone if the Stones ever make another record. But, if they insist on calling themselves a working band, they gotta record new stuff. Of course people go to their shows to hear the hits, but it is no ones fault but the Stones that more recent songs are not in the set list once a tour is over.

Case in point is Love is Strong. If only they continued to perform it, people would be going "Man, i hope they play Love is Strong tonight". It could have been a modern classic. I mean, it was the lead single of VL. It was a great award winning clip. It was their last decent single. But, not only have they not performed it since VL, the damn song was not even included on the official tour video, or the televised Miami show. I mean, what the fuck is that all about? Yet, they do "You got me rocking"!!! Hey, they had that much confidence in the worst single of 97 "Anybody seen my baby", that it was left out of the televised, and video/dvd, St. Louis show. Again, WTF?

Hey, go back to 81. I am sure there were people in the crowds going "HO-HUM, Black Limousine. Yes, very good, now do Hot Stuff" or "Start me up is ok, but it will never be a classic". But, if they persisted in performing stuff like One Hit, Love is Strong and maybe even Mixed Emotions, these songs could have been staple set pieces. Good replacements for the 2nd string songs like Tumbling Dice, IORR or Miss You.

We aint never going to hear Dont Stop again in a live situation!

But, i digress. I feel it's way past the crossroads time. They will more than likely not score another record contract when this one expires. Man, Jagger will be 70 by the time they do another record after this one! And, i doubt their back catalogue, post 1969, is worth any serious money these days.

In many respects, its their own lazy rich ass fault. You guys can argue all you like, but the Stones music just might not be around forever.

The younger fans (young! I mean anyone 30 and under)not only dont like them, but even worse. They either hate them, think of them as tragically old and dated, think of them as silly, or worst of all, dont think of them at all.

The Stones have never been in fashion since the early 70's. They are hated by critics and the general population (which is cool with me. Means i am still a rebel). Their album sales reflect that. Sure, good live, but so were the Who. And they have sold stuff all records. The Stones are the Sinatra's of the rock world. "Everyone should see them once".

But, look at all the trends. Brit-pop was Beatles based. Grunge was 70's metal, Black Sabbath type riff based, with a hell of a lot of punk. The current rock come back (already dead i say) is more based on punk and new wave than the Stones. Then there is the teeny punk thing, with bands like Greenday, Blink 182 & Sweet Charlotte. Not a Stones influence in any of it.

Unless the world suddenly goes back to a blues based trend, the Stones will just fade away. I truly believe this. You all can say "No way man, there is always Satisfaction, JJ flash and Sympathy - etc -etc. Sure. I agree. For me! But for others, no, for the vast majority, its oldies music. Like me buying Bing Crosby.

40 Licks did well. Better than i thought. But thats baby boomers buying the damn thing to replace all their 45's. I doubt many youngies went out and bought it. Sure, you all can give me a instance (try giving me 100 instances, instead of 1) of young, hip, un-fans who bought itbut generally, its ancient old farts updating their collection, or 1/2 interested old fans who would now have all the Stones songs they would ever desire, without having to buy albums.

But, i bet there was a whole generation of new Beatles fans born when Anthology came out. You know i am right.

To musos, people with taste, and sexy Aussies, the Stones are the pinnacle of rock. To most others, they are just wrinkly, slightly ridiculous looking, old farts, trying to be cool and failing badly. How many more young fans do Ac/Dc have compared to the Stones? Look at Ac/Dc's sales!! Stones have a 10 year lead, yet lag way, way behind Ac/Dc. WHo, i might add, have changed lead singers 3 times!!

U2 have much more young fans than the Stones. THey've been together 25 years. Go back 25 years. In 1989, the Stones were considered a bit old and ridiculous then. Steel Wheels, and the tour, sold pretty well. But, again, how many 15-18 year olds bought tickets and cd's??? How many kids went to the shows without parents taking them? How many kids are excited, 25 years after they formed, about U2's new cd and soon to be sell out tour? How did bands like Ac/Dc and U2 retain a youthful fan base, yet the Stones havent? Did the Stones lose a majority of their traditional fans during 75-76, but never really replaced them with new ones? Well, i dont think so. Many young people got into them in 78. I did. And, 81. But, those days are gone. Sure, a few here and there will see them live and go "Man, that was cool, i am going to really get into them". Or, how many youngies see them live and go "They were good. But they are so old!!! And, whats with having a real drummer? Where are the turntables?"

And, just forget about having any black fans!!!!

Maybe the worst thing the Stones did was not die.

Damn that deal with the Devil!
February 7th, 2005 11:56 PM
Bitch I have high expectations of the JAGGER/RICHARDS songwriting capabilities, and feel the new songs should be great giving credit to years of experience and knowing what works. I too would like to see some heavier rockin' raunchy tunes, but it doesn't matter.

I read MICK's interview where he specifically said he WILL NOT put a deadline on the release, and that they have alot of songs already written and they were working on arranging, etc. the best of the songs.

Have faith, people, it's gonna rock!
February 8th, 2005 01:32 AM
padre
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
Case in point is Love is Strong. If only they continued to perform it, people would be going "Man, i hope they play Love is Strong tonight". It could have been a modern classic. I mean, it was the lead single of VL. It was a great award winning clip. It was their last decent single. But, not only have they not performed it since VL, the damn song was not even included on the official tour video, or the televised Miami show. I mean, what the fuck is that all about? Yet, they do "You got me rocking"!!! Hey, they had that much confidence in the worst single of 97 "Anybody seen my baby", that it was left out of the televised, and video/dvd, St. Louis show. Again, WTF?

One reason must be the low register singing from Mick on both tunes. It sounds very cool on record, but is obviously a bit hard to do live. I'm sure Mick wasn't pleased with his live vocals on those, that's why they're dropped from the set and releases.

If they wanted younger fans, they could at least do decent promo videos instead of that horrible Don't Stop embarrasment...The Miss You and Sympathy remixes musta been reaches for an younger audience, but did they fail?
February 8th, 2005 08:45 PM
corgi37 The Sympathy re-mixes were absolutely shocking. I could have done a better job on my home computer. Hey, dont laugh, i've taken out the drum track in LIGHT MY FIRE, and am going to record myself drumming to it live.

I am also going to put drums on G&R's PATIENCE.

I thought Love is Strong was done very well in the 95 Melbourne shows. And, the crowd really dug it too! But, how can they expect to have new, fresh songs getting appreciated and wanted, if they dont perform them?

It's cool to say most people wanna hear the hits. There are maybe 10 untouchables. But, throways like Miss You and IORR could easily be replaced, not missed, the set updated.

But, they didnt do that. It's all too hard for them.

God bless their wrinkly asses.
Page: 1 2
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood