ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Unknown artist - provided by Cucho Peņaloza
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAŅOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Bridges to babylon is dog shit Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
January 29th, 2005 10:15 PM
HardKnoxDurtySox
quote:
F505 wrote:
The problem with most of the Stones records in the eighties and nineties is that they're okay but lack the absolute genius of their work in the sixties and seventies. Same with Bridges. It is not really bad but there are dozens of records released in that same year that are at least as good or better as Bridges. In the old days a Stones record was absolute the best you could get that particular year. They ruled and there was not much discussion about the genius of the Stones. Nowadays only a very small group of diehards (represented on this board) still think they're still at the top. I lost that feeling after 1981.

Besides Time Out of Mind, I can't think of anything else off of the top of my head that was better than B2B in 1997.
January 30th, 2005 05:06 AM
F505
quote:
BILL PERKS wrote:
GREAT RECORD-MY ONLY COMPLAINT WAS ALWAYS SUFFERING AND ALEADY OVER ME WERE TOO SIMILAR..TOO TIGHT,LOWDOWN,FLIP THE SWITCH,ASMB,GUNFACE,DONT HAVE TO MEAN IT ARE ALL FANTASTIC..AND THE END OF THE RECORD IS FABULOUS..WHY DO YOU WANKERS WHO DON'T LIKE THEIR WORK STILL POST HERE?ITS FINE TO BE CRITICAL BUT IF YOU HATE EVERYTHING AFTER 1981 YOU'RE JUST BLOODY STUPID.

Perks, how shall we call someone who thinks Dirty Work is the best album the Stones have ever made?
That you have no taste is fine with me but why trouble us with your nonsense? Please go to a Queen board because that's where you belong.
January 30th, 2005 05:39 AM
F505
quote:
HardKnoxDurtySox wrote:

Besides Time Out of Mind, I can't think of anything else off of the top of my head that was better than B2B in 1997.

well I can: El Corazon (Steve Earle), The Boatman's Call (Nick Cave), Don't Look Back (JL Hooker), Low Estate (16 Horsepower), The Sign And The Seal (Steve Coleman), Sound Of Lies (Jayhawks), Heavy Sound (Paul Weller), The Healing Game (Van Morrison) OK computer (Radiohead) and indeed Time out of Mind, imo the best record in 1997.
January 30th, 2005 12:22 PM
HardKnoxDurtySox I'd like to check out that Jayhawks record. I've heard two of their albums- one from 92 and the one that came out recently- and enjoyed both.
Also, I know a lot of people really dig what Radiohead is all about, but I've always thought that OK Computer was dreadfully overated. Just my opinion though.
January 30th, 2005 01:49 PM
Bitch Headshrinker - how DARE you refer to B2B as dogshit? You must have the attention span of a 9 yr old! You are not alone because I've seen posts on other boards trash this album too. Let me begin by saying the B2B tour was very good and they played several songs from the CD which sounded great - especially OUT OF CONTROL - it was outrageous the way it started out low and slow and ended up wild and loud. Several songs are Stones great, like: Anybody seen my baby, Low down, Already over me, Gunface, Out of Control, and SAINT OF ME is definately a classic Stones song all the way.
January 30th, 2005 05:49 PM
glencar
quote:
BILL PERKS wrote:
GREAT RECORD-MY ONLY COMPLAINT WAS ALWAYS SUFFERING AND ALEADY OVER ME WERE TOO SIMILAR..TOO TIGHT,LOWDOWN,FLIP THE SWITCH,ASMB,GUNFACE,DONT HAVE TO MEAN IT ARE ALL FANTASTIC..AND THE END OF THE RECORD IS FABULOUS..WHY DO YOU WANKERS WHO DON'T LIKE THEIR WORK STILL POST HERE?ITS FINE TO BE CRITICAL BUT IF YOU HATE EVERYTHING AFTER 1981 YOU'RE JUST BLOODY STUPID.

Perks, you ain't such an idiot after all although you still an asshole.
January 30th, 2005 07:47 PM
West 8 I liked the way they played flip the switch at MSG. I think it was somewhat slower than the cd version. What impressed me with the BTB tour is how well received out of control & saint of me were. I remember people really getting into Out of control like it was a classic,even the casual Stones fan
January 30th, 2005 09:34 PM
BILL PERKS
quote:
F505 wrote:

Perks, how shall we call someone who thinks Dirty Work is the best album the Stones have ever made?
That you have no taste is fine with me but why trouble us with your nonsense? Please go to a Queen board because that's where you belong.

YOU'RE STUCK WITH ME BITCH,GET USED TO IT..I AINT NO BANDLEADER
January 30th, 2005 10:03 PM
IanBillen
Bads on Dirty Work:
Dirty Work is Dirty Work. It captured the Stones at that time.
Angry and temperemantal. Lacks a little creativity, soul, and is a little slick in The production. A few of the songs are filler material or needed more time such as "Had it with you" and "Too rude".

Goods on Dirty work:
Everyone looks at the sub-par issues of Dirty Work. However look at the goods-great guitar, racious sound on a handful of tracks, a true capture of The Stones anger at the time. If Dirty Work was a nicey nice album like a lot of songs on Steel Wheels think how stupid that would of been. I have always said Dirty Work isn't garbage. It is not a classic by any means but it still has it's place.

Bridges to Babylon:
Good album. A serious, colder album. Voodoo was supposed to be a fun summer time gig. Bridges has a secluded vibe, and is a very personal album.

Bridges had differnt types of production than any of The Stones other works. It also runs different than the usual Stones Album. As was all done on purpose. It was meant to be twisty and not straight up and it was.

Ian
January 30th, 2005 10:58 PM
Soldatti Voodoo: A couple of 50 years old guys trying to do the best rock album possible.
Bridges: Two solo albums.
January 31st, 2005 04:26 PM
glencar Sparks Will Fly was the best rock possible? Puh-leeze!
[Edited by glencar]
January 31st, 2005 05:19 PM
JumpingKentFlash Sparks Will Fly is the coolest track on VL IMO. I love it.
January 31st, 2005 05:22 PM
Snappy McJack Sparks Will Fly is the lamest, most insipid "Stones Light" track on VL IMO. I loathe it.
January 31st, 2005 05:25 PM
Moonisup Low down, Too tight, HCIS are great songs!
January 31st, 2005 07:53 PM
glencar Hey Moon, I was watching a video of the Aretha F version of JJF & who should pop up on keyboards but a black-haired Chuck Leavell. He was even more annoying then, believe it or not.
January 31st, 2005 09:05 PM
Soldatti I love Sparks Will Fly, actually I love the first 9 songs on Voodoo Lounge, the rest is filler.
January 31st, 2005 10:34 PM
Lavendar THIS CONCERT ROCKED! I have no problems with the CD.
January 31st, 2005 10:43 PM
MrPleasant "Bridges to babylon is dog shit".

I don't know. You're the head-shrinker.
[Edited by MrPleasant]
February 3rd, 2005 12:34 PM
padre Listened the album after a while because of this thread. It really is not that good as a whole. But dogshit? Nope.
Can you specify which ones of the songs are Keith's and which ones Mick's? Too Tight is a remake of Wanna Hold You, so that's obvious, but how about the other Jagger-sung songs?
And if Keef didn't play on Saint and Woody was in no condition to turn on his amp, is it Mick and Waddy that do the guitars on that??!!
February 3rd, 2005 09:42 PM
Soldatti
quote:
padre wrote:
Listened the album after a while because of this thread. It really is not that good as a whole. But dogshit? Nope.
Can you specify which ones of the songs are Keith's and which ones Mick's? Too Tight is a remake of Wanna Hold You, so that's obvious, but how about the other Jagger-sung songs?
And if Keef didn't play on Saint and Woody was in no condition to turn on his amp, is it Mick and Waddy that do the guitars on that??!!

KEITH
Flip The Switch
Low Down
You Don't Have To Mean It
Too Tight
Thief In The Night
How Can I Stop

All the others are Mick tunes for me...

About Saint Of Me, Mick plays acoustic, Ronnie few licks here and there and Waddy the rest.
February 4th, 2005 02:14 AM
padre Thief and How Can I Stop as closers must be the worst ending for an album. If you're still awake after those you should be rewarded with something.
They should end every album with Stu's boogie woogie just to remind us (and themselves) what's it really all about!
February 4th, 2005 07:35 AM
lotsajizz
quote:
Soldatti wrote:
I love Sparks Will Fly, actually I love the first 9 songs on Voodoo Lounge, the rest is filler.

'Mean Disposition' is NOT filler...it is a classic
February 4th, 2005 09:00 AM
keith_tif For me STONEs' records are getting better with time!

I like B2B specially "Anybody seen my baby", Saint of me and out of control. Out of control by Fluke is great! techno version!
February 4th, 2005 09:02 AM
Jumacfly
quote:
keith_tif wrote:
For me STONEs' records are getting better with time!

I like B2B specially "Anybody seen my baby", Saint of me and out of control. Out of control by Fluke is great! techno version!

check the dub remix of OOC..perfect!
February 5th, 2005 03:43 AM
Navin
quote:
glencar wrote:
Lowdown is much better than anything on VL. The only aspect where VL comes out ahead is on teh Keith songs & that's a fact, jack!

Do you also hate 'Under The Red Sky' by Bob Dylan as much as 'Voodoo Lounge'
February 5th, 2005 05:23 PM
JaggerLips What's all this slagging off of B2B for? Any band would be glad to have made that album!

Thief in the Night
Saint of Me
Out of Control
Flip the Switch
Might As Well Get Juiced
Anybody Seen My Baby
Lowdown
Gunface
etc etc

All memorable songs and how can you not love Saint of Me???? One of the most triumphant songs they've ever done. Jagger sings it like the song is his song and nobody elses. He's never going to change and he's happy about it. Saint of Me is the sum total of Jagger's life.
I absoultely love B2B. It's made in 1997 it's not going to be the same as the rest what with the technology and all. You want 60s sound listen to a 60s record.
B2B is new and fresh and I can't champion it's cause enough!
February 5th, 2005 08:16 PM
Snappy McJack With regards to VL:

It's one of the few times the Stones put mediocre material over B-Sides that should've made the album.
February 6th, 2005 01:07 AM
Child of the Moon Snappy: I agree, in the sense that some of those B-sides should have been on the album in place of some of the weaker cuts. I love the album, but there are a few I'd get rid of. I'd also love to put in a couple of the outtakes.

My personal "Dream Voodoo Lounge" (ten songs only, like a classic Stones disc):
Love Is Strong
You Got Me Rocking
Honest Man
The Worst
Zip Mouth Angel
Out Of Tears
So Young
Blinded By Rainbows
The Storm
Thru and Thru

And as for Bridges... I love the friggin' album. Always have, always will. It's perfect to crank up when you're driving around on a summer day.
February 7th, 2005 02:51 PM
glencar Now taht's the sort of tracklist that would have made for a superb VL! Too bad we got stuck with the runs...
February 7th, 2005 08:27 PM
Soldatti
quote:
Child of the Moon wrote:
My personal "Dream Voodoo Lounge" (ten songs only, like a classic Stones disc):
Love Is Strong
You Got Me Rocking
Honest Man
The Worst
Zip Mouth Angel
Out Of Tears
So Young
Blinded By Rainbows
The Storm
Thru and Thru

Great tracklisting, I add "I Go Wild" and "Jump On Top Of Me" too.
Page: 1 2 3
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood