ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Unknown artist - provided by Cucho Peñaloza
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Bridges to babylon is dog shit Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
January 27th, 2005 11:23 AM
headshrinker just got this album. i hope we don't get the same from the next
January 27th, 2005 11:26 AM
Jaxx i think b2b has some redeeming qualities. seventies stones have morphed into the millenium. its still better than dirty work.
January 27th, 2005 11:26 AM
F505 send it to Fiji Joe, he already has Dogshit on the Doormat.
January 27th, 2005 11:30 AM
glencar BTB is the best Stones since Tattoo You. I just listened to it yesterday. Perhaps you should listen to the red hot chili peppers instead.
January 27th, 2005 11:41 AM
Nellcote Keith says he saved the version of "Juiced" from B to B without the electronics, that's the one I want to hear..
January 27th, 2005 12:40 PM
Dan Its okay but hasnt really endured. A few okay songs and a bunch of filler. Not as a bad as Dirty Work or the new songs on 40 Licks though.
January 27th, 2005 12:52 PM
Jumacfly BTB got good rockers : flip, lowdown, gunface, too tight..I like them, even if Ronnie is not on there ..
IMHO ballads are not as you good as Voodoo lounge..but How can I stop is killer...
Cheers
JU
January 27th, 2005 12:54 PM
JumpingKentFlash It's a good album. Not good produced. A better production for, say, Already Over Me could do a world of good. The songs are good (Most of them), but the production sucks (Most of it). But generally I like it. Better than GHS, Undercover, SW and some of the early sixties albums.
January 27th, 2005 12:54 PM
glencar Lowdown is much better than anything on VL. The only aspect where VL comes out ahead is on teh Keith songs & that's a fact, jack!
January 27th, 2005 12:55 PM
glencar Already Over Me was basically recorded live. I think it sounds great. Flip The Switch needs better mixing.
January 27th, 2005 12:57 PM
Jumacfly
quote:
glencar wrote:
Lowdown is much better than anything on VL. The only aspect where VL comes out ahead is on teh Keith songs & that's a fact, jack!

Hi Glencar..you re right.."the worst" is and will be forever one of the greatest keef ballad...
January 27th, 2005 01:03 PM
glencar LOL Jules, I actually prefer "Thru & Thru." I was stunned when he finally played it live.
January 27th, 2005 01:13 PM
Jumacfly
quote:
glencar wrote:
LOL Jules, I actually prefer "Thru & Thru." I was stunned when he finally played it live.

good song too! IMHO the intro is a little bit too long...but perfectlly recorded on VL..

ps: Jules reminds me how french am I among my american pals LOl many of my friends here called me like that too!

Cheers hombre, and glad you re ok after your surgery
(no hijacking here ok?? )
JU
January 27th, 2005 01:29 PM
glencar Thanks for the good wishes! One of my friends has a son named Julian.
January 27th, 2005 01:35 PM
Jumacfly
quote:
glencar wrote:
Thanks for the good wishes! One of my friends has a son named Julian.

you mean John Lennon??

i have to go rehearse with my band, see ya later to discuss about BTB

What do my RO pals think about "you don t have to mean it"??
I was very sceptic when i first heard it, my fav part of the song is Charlie drumming..
oh and another thought: BTB is good but miss a good bass playing...all the players are good but basics..a pity when the drummer is called Charlie Watts...

Ju
January 27th, 2005 02:12 PM
gimmekeef I have every album as I'm sure most do.BtoB I hardly ever play and seem to spend most listeneing time with boots these days...OR LET IT BLEED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
January 27th, 2005 02:23 PM
kath i don't think it's a terrible album at all, not their best. but i LOVE gunface!!!
January 27th, 2005 02:25 PM
glencar LOL That & You Don't Have To Mean It are my least favorite!
January 27th, 2005 02:37 PM
kath i don't like you don't have to mean it. i saw it live in portland and it totally sucked. a lot ob b2b isn't good when done live, like asmb....embarressing to see bernard and mick rapping......
January 27th, 2005 02:51 PM
glencar That was a drag. On the other hand, the other 2 Keef ballads were well done as was Flip, OOC & Saint of Me. I also got to see Lowdown at MSG & that was great. I don't think they did it elsewhere.
January 27th, 2005 03:10 PM
glencar Hey Kath, did you go to both Portland shows that year? The first show has a much better setlist!
January 27th, 2005 03:13 PM
gimmekeef Out of Control is embarassing..total rip off of Papa Was A Rolling Stone........
January 27th, 2005 03:19 PM
kath yeah, i did glencar, and yes first night was better, and out of control kicked ass that night. it was like they were all looking at each other and saying "damn, we're actually GOOD!" that was a great night. i had a better seat for the second show, and it was that night i was completely covered with the silver confetti. i was right under one of the cannons and it just covered me! now, every time i hear "brown sugar" i can still feel all that confetti falling on me! greatest night of my life, really.....as far as concerts go, anyway.
[Edited by kath]
January 27th, 2005 03:21 PM
glencar Although there was no confetti, I'd have to say that the first show in Dublin Sept. 2003 was my greatest concert night. Just so much fun.
January 27th, 2005 09:24 PM
Soldatti BTB it's a 5/10 CD for me, half of the album is great with songs as FTS, LD, AOM, Gunface, SOM and TT and the other half is embarassing with some of the worst Stones songs ever.
Voodoo Lounge is much better, at least had 8-9 killer tracks while BTB only had 3-4...
[Edited by Soldatti]
January 27th, 2005 09:59 PM
Egbert Didn't like it much after first few listens but B2B has grown on me since. I'd rate it their best since Tattoo You although I have yet to hear VL.
January 27th, 2005 09:59 PM
Gazza I love Bridges. Did ever since I first heard it (which is unusual for me). Despite all the talk about band friction, using different producers, having Waddy as an extra guitarist, I think it actually works very well. I dont think there's a dud on it - Already Over Me and Lowdown are maybe just OK, but they'd have still been considered good tracks on most 80's and 90's Stones albums.

Best Stones album for me since Some Girls and MUCH better than the 4 new songs on 40 Licks.
January 27th, 2005 10:09 PM
HardKnoxDurtySox I think that B2B is a great Stones album and is much better than either of the two “comeback” albums or any album since Some Girls for that matter. Say what you will about Was’ production technique but the guitars are loud and upfront on this album- something that can’t be said for most shows on the last few tours. Lowdown, AOM, SOM, and Too Tight contain some of the most interesting guitar work in the entire Stones catalogue- thanks mostly to Keith and Waddy since Ronnie is basically nowhere to be found on here other than a few solos and a slide part here and there.

It has been mentioned on this board before but the fact that the subject matter and the general mood of the album are so dark and serious really makes it that much more interesting. It is in effect the Stones doing some very “un-Stonesy” things but with good results. MAWGJ, Gunface, ASMB, and the two Keith ballads are so unlike anything the Stones have ever done- but they pull them off masterfully. I don’t think the same can be said about other such experiments- Moon is Up and Suck on the Jugular come to mind.

Having said all this it’s sometimes amazing to me that people complain about the Stones’ output (or lack thereof) in the last ten years. I know there have only been two albums and I agree that Live Licks was a cash-in. But the two records they did put out are both good (B2B being significantly better), we got the magnificent Stripped, and they’ve put together four major tours. Artists half the Stones age have done half as much in the same period.
January 28th, 2005 12:36 AM
Poplar
B2B ... in short ... Beauty & Bullshit.

January 28th, 2005 02:58 AM
keith_tif I like this album specially Anybody seen my baby!

But i hope the next album will be better with take of risks!
Page: 1 2 3
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood