ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Blondies have more fun!
America West Arena - Phoenix - January 30, 2003

By Little Red Rooster
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Get your picture sketched by Woody! Return to archive
02-11-03 03:44 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl What would be cooler than to have Ronnie Wood sketch your mug? If you�re only familiar with Ronnie Wood as guitarist extrodinaire with the Rolling Stones, you only know half the picture. Ronnie is an accomplished painter, with portaits of his friends and influences from the past 30 years to prove it. Check out some of his work at www.ronniewood.com, and then come back here to submit your photo for a chance to be sketched by Ronnie Wood himself.

Get the picture? More at http://www.rollingstones.com/sketch/
02-11-03 07:48 PM
Angiegirl This is -AGAIN!!!- only for the US!!!!! Why the fuck is that!! I hate that damn so called fanclub. I paid my fee too you know...And why don't they state that clearly on the website!
This is really pissing me off!

Here's the text from the rules:
ELIGIBILITY: This sweepstakes is open only to legal residents of the 48 Contiguous United States (except New York and Florida) and the District of Columbia, 18 years of age and older at time of entry. Void in New York, Florida, Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico and where prohibited by law. Employees and their immediate families (spouse, parents, children, siblings, and their respective spouses), including household members, of Rolling Stones Offcial Fan Club, UltraSTar Entertainment, LLC, and their respective affiliates, subsidiaries, divisions, advertising and promotion agencies, are not eligible to enter. This sweepstakes is subject to all federal, state and local laws. Winner agrees that Rolling Stones Offcial Fan Club, UltraSTar Entertainment, LLC, and their respective affiliates, agents and employees, shall not be liable for injury, loss or damage of any kind resulting from participating in this promotion or from the acceptance or use of any prize awarded. Sponsor reserves the right to verify eligibility qualifications of the winner. U.S. law governs this sweepstakes.

[Edited by Angiegirl]
02-11-03 08:05 PM
exile I agree Angiegirl
why should it matter
especially in this cometition

should be for the whole fucking world

02-11-03 08:16 PM
Angiegirl Thanx for the support Exile! It is stupid and I emailed them. Not that I expect a reply...If it were a sweepstake for concert in US & travel, I can understand it, but this... I paid my 95 euros/dollars too.
02-11-03 08:24 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy Yeah. Hell with US-only. Whole damn world needs to get involved, the Stones are a *world-wide industry*!

I submitted mine... one of the three I sent to Voodoo recently from my first live show... mwahaha.

-tSYX --- It's only teenage wasteland...
02-11-03 09:01 PM
Sir Stonesalot You guys don't know the laws that govern these types of contests.

Ask one of the many lawyers that haunt this place...they'll be able to explain it better than I. It has to do with taxes on prize winnings and so forth.

I'm not one to stick up for the Fan Club. But in this case, they are only following the laws governing such contests held in the US. And that is where this contest is being held. Fair, no, but they don't have any choice in the matter. How do you think people from New York and Florida feel? They live in the US and STILL can't win.

Would you deny some other lucky Stones fan the chance to win just because you can't enter?
02-11-03 09:31 PM
Angiegirl
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
Would you deny some other lucky Stones fan the chance to win just because you can't enter?

Jeez, did I say that anywhere?????? Good God, aren't I allowed to complain about anything in your opinion SS? Sorry, but don't be so judgemental pleez...you're not my dad or anything are you? Just checking.

As far as that law-thing is concerned; you're probably right. Of course there is a reason for that all. But then they would have to state that before non-US and NY/Florida etc members join the FC, that we won't have as much opportunity to enter in sweepstakes etc. We could join even a half year later than the US-residents and our membership lasts just as long as yours does.

Hell, I wasn't planning on picking at the details like this. It's just a bummer if for the 2nd (and even maybe more) time I can't join. That's shit. That's all.
[Edited by Angiegirl]
02-11-03 09:58 PM
Riffhard It's probably a safe bet that the European fans will get some contests that are only eligable to citizens of the EU. Same is true for the swing through Asia,et al. I think that patience is your friend here Angie!

Riffhard
02-11-03 10:18 PM
Child of the Moon Y'know, it's funny... right below this, there's Maxy's post that reads "ASS." Right above it reads, "Get your picture skecthed by Ronnie Wood!" Now, at first glance, I could've sworn it read something like "Get your ass picture sketched..." or something along those lines.

I need some sleep. Or something.
02-11-03 10:21 PM
Sir Stonesalot No, I ain't your Daddy AG...and don't want to be. Just pointing out that your anger is misplaced. If you want to be pissed, be pissed at the stupid laws governing contest give aways.

As for the thing about making it clear that some people may be excluded for contest give aways BEFORE you join the club....you'll lose that one too. Informing you of specific US laws concerning give aways and excluded parties is not included in full disclosure. For God sake, they'd end up having to make you read a 50 page document of legal mumbo-jumbo before you join, if they had to disclose every little detail about your rights due by your membership. who the heck wants that...and who the hell would bother reading it?

I also felt like pointing out that instead of going "Gee, what a cool contest. I hope someone here can win. I hope they run something like this for us European fans.", you chose to pitch a bitch. Quite frankly, I'm tired of all the damn bitching and whining going on. It seems that no one can be happy about anything around here.

Fuck it, bitch all you want. Why the fuck do I care.
02-11-03 11:15 PM
Martha I ain't bitchin'! No sireee....and I plan to enter..my luck has been good lately.
02-12-03 01:37 AM
Strange_Stray_Cat Stupid f*ck*ng contest...
BTW; is it possible yet to join the RSFC with tickets bought in Europe? Probably not...
02-12-03 05:21 AM
F505 Don't worry Angiegirl, send me your picture and I will sketch your portrait a ten times better Ronnie ever could.

(sorry people: this offer is only valid for Europe)
02-12-03 11:41 AM
Angiegirl
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
Quite frankly, I'm tired of all the damn bitching and whining going on. It seems that no one can be happy about anything around here. Fuck it, bitch all you want. Why the fuck do I care.

Being so harsh and evenly bitchy to people that 'bitch' is considered as bitching too imho... Sorry SS, I really don't mean no bad things to you or anyone. It's just that the tone of your remarks made me angry.

As I said, it wasn't about the details, it was a first reaction of disappointment. Like I said (again), that's it. You are the one blowing things out of proportion, and that's your good right. Just as it is mine to write an impuls post when I'm disappointed.

And if you see constantly bitching and whining on RO, then maybe you are a too selective reader, because I see constant joy on this board, including 99.9% of my posts! Don't over-generalize it too much.

I wish everyone all the luck and I wish you could all win this comp. And I'm sure I'll get my luck next time, it wasn't about that at all.

And F505: LOL!!!

[Edited by Angiegirl]
02-12-03 04:26 PM
Sir Stonesalot My first post wasn't meant to be "bitchy" at all. I was trying to point out that you anger was misplaced, and that there was a better way of looking at things.

My second post was most certainly a bitchy post, aimed directly at YOUR bitchy post.

So do you want to keep bitching at each other? I don't.

BTW, 99.9% is a rather large overexaggeration, IMO. There's LOTS of bitching. Although most of the bitching and whining comes from the same few people. If the few negative vibe merchants that are here would do us all a favor and shut up, then I think your number would be a very real possibility.

And that would be wonderful...IMO.
02-12-03 04:35 PM
Angiegirl
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
So do you want to keep bitching at each other? I don't.

No, I don't. Really. I love you. You just don't get what I'm trying to explain to you and I guess it's pointless repeating my meaning to you. Well, no problem, we'll leave it at that then. No hard feelings. IMHO
02-12-03 05:29 PM
Jaxx i was going to say what RiffHard said. europe will probably get their contests, special promotions and maybe even better setlists. our tour is over and yours is just beginning! how exciting to have it out there still in front of you.

oh come on F505, you won't sketch any of us american girls? aren't you negotiable?
02-12-03 06:54 PM
Angiegirl
quote:
Jaxx wrote:
oh come on F505, you won't sketch any of us american girls? aren't you negotiable?

LOL!!
02-12-03 07:34 PM
Gazza >It's probably a safe bet that the European fans will get some contests that are only eligable to citizens of the EU.

I seriously doubt that.

Incidentally,Europe has approximately 56 countries. the EU only consists of a quarter of that. I'd like to think if that was the case,then someone in The Ukraine should have the same rights as someone in the UK.

If US rules regarding sweepstakes are the issue,then would it not have made more sense for the fan club to be registered in a country that ISNT as restrictive when it comes to those practices to ensure as fair a deal as possible for fans worldwide? (after all,it IS a world tour and it IS the WORLD wide web!)

I think its worth remembering that theres been severe double standards regarding that fan site and non-North American members. For the North American shows, those of us outside the US & Canada couldn't join the fan club and apply for the pre-sales for the US shows. When they announced the European tour and opened the fan club membership, the pre-sales for the club shows in Europe were suddenly open to everyone,so the American fans had as good a chance of buying tickets for the Astoria, Olympia etc. (No complaints about that - thats the way the fanclub should be - open to fans everywhere) I just wish I could have had the same opportunity to at least TRY and get a look in for Roseland or Wiltern tickets for my trips to New York and L.A. If I'm willing to fly 18,000 miles to see the Stones in the US in 2002 then I think I'm as entitled to a fan club membership for the US part of that tour as anyone else.
02-12-03 07:55 PM
exile I totally Agree Gazza
02-12-03 07:58 PM
Angiegirl I totally agree with you Gazza, not surprisingly.
I hope every fan in the whole wide world eventually gets their satisfaction! We will, when we are there @ a Stones show...why isn't it July yet?
02-12-03 09:57 PM
Sir Stonesalot I agree too. You Euros should have been included from the start. But I think I know why you weren't.

The corporate dipshits who run the fan club(you didn't think actual FANS run the site did you?), had no idea that European fans would fly to the States to see shows. I think they were clueless. But with the flood of complaints about Euros being shut out of the pre-sales, they woke up in time to get it right for the European leg of the tour. They smelled an opportunity to squeeze some more dollars out of the US, and included us in the pre-sale. They are probably kicking themselves at losing all those European memberships for US pre-sales. But all the bad press they got woke them up.

Of course, that didn't help you Euros. You still got locked out. Uncool.

I hope the Rolling Stones learn something with the fan club fiasco. Like...make sure actual FANS are involved in the running of the club, and web site, instead of corporate dickheads. Fans would not let other fans get fucked by their own club. Fans understand what other fans want. We would have come up with much better ways to handle the pre-sales, and probably even these contests. We would have made the web site into something useful and good.

So I hope someone is paying attention to this. Maybe some of us can go to work for the Stones.

PS. AG, I got a big hug for you if we ever meet up. First round is on me.
02-12-03 10:54 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl I don't give a fuck... I posted a picture of my lovely ones... see what happens
02-12-03 11:11 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy
quote:
VoodooChileInWOnderl wrote:
I don't give a fuck... I posted a picture of my lovely ones... see what happens

Yeah! A hearty fuck you is in order to the fan club on that one. I mean, I understand, legal rights and all, and red tape and so forth, but it can't hurt to just submit and see what happens. Although I think they'll cull a selection of eligable ones before showing 'em to Ronnie.

Though you never know! Ronnie could concievably have one of his tech-savvy children get him there to look at the pictures himself, since I'm guessing that he, like Keith and most of the other rockers, doesn't go near computers.

Which is a shame. A lot of bands nowadays have gotten a great fanbase by being in constant contact with the fans via the web.

The Stones, who already have a great fanbase, are free to spit at this, however.

-tSYX --- Don' gimme that ol', don' gimme that ol', don't gimme that ol' 1-2-3-4...

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST