ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Blondies have more fun!
America West Arena - Phoenix - January 30, 2003

By Little Red Rooster
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Australian Fans;The Stones arrived!!! Return to archive
02-11-03 01:38 PM
CS The Stones roll into Sydney
By Anthony Stavrinos
11feb03

ENDURING rockers The Rolling Stones have made a low-key arrival to Australia ahead of their much-anticipated national sold-out tour.

The Stones are scheduled to kick off their tour next Tuesday night at Sydney's intimate Enmore Theatre.

Three members of the band, frontman Mick Jagger, lead guitarist Ron Wood and guitarist Keith Richards arrived shortly after 9.30pm (AEDT).

They were on board a specially chartered Qantas flight which contained the entire entourage for the band's Forty Licks tour.

Apparently surprised by a healthy contingent of media and fans awaiting their arrival, Richards asked the crowd: "Why aren't you guys in bed?"

Wood was next to emerge through the side entrance, maintaining his silence before the charismatic Jagger appeared, greeting fans with his trademark grin and a wave.

"Hey guys," he repeated several times.

Security was bolstered for the popular rockers' arrival this evening, with at least a dozen protective service officers positioned alongside the cordon, warning fans and media to stand back.

Among the fans disappointed at the Stones' low-key arrival, was 35-year-old Greg Smith, from South Hurstville, who had followed the band for the past 20 years.

He held in his arms a collectors' concert poster advertising a Stones American gig on June 26, 1976, with special guest the Doobie Brothers.

Mr Smith said he would attend two of his idols' concerts, paying $350 for "good" seats at the Brisbane's Entertainment Centre and $140 for "average" seats at the Sydney SuperDome show.

He has already seen the band in Toronto, Copenhagen, Los Angeles, Las Vegas and during previous visits to Australia.

"I've been following them for the last 20 years, I've all their video clips and all their old albums," an excited Mr Smith said.

He was disappointed at not being able to meet his idols, but excused them because they'd had a long trip from Los Angeles.

"Bit of a bummer, I'll try next time."

Tickets to the Australian leg of the Stones' Forty Licks world tour were snapped up by fans, selling out within minutes for some venues.

The Rolling Stones are scheduled to perform in 2003 at Sydney Superdome on February 20 and 22, at Sydney's Enmore Theatre on February 18, Melbourne's Rod Laver Arena on February 25 and 27 and Brisbane Entertainment Centre on March 4.

02-11-03 01:44 PM
jb Congratulations StonesAustralia!!! You must be going crazy with anticipation.
02-11-03 03:32 PM
stonedinaustralia thanx jb, yes indeed the tension is rising - and news that they are actually in the country has raised that feeling a notch or two - but i'm trying to keep a lid on things - i don't want to peak too early - i'll keep you posted
02-11-03 03:59 PM
exile I saw the footage of them arriving last night on the news
cant believe it
cant wait
02-11-03 04:05 PM
telecaster
quote:
exile wrote:
I saw the footage of them arriving last night on the news
cant believe it
cant wait

I am envious of you guys. Enjoy.
02-11-03 04:06 PM
parmeda
quote:
stonedinaustralia wrote:
thanx jb, yes indeed the tension is rising - and news that they are actually in the country has raised that feeling a notch or two - but i'm trying to keep a lid on things - i don't want to peak too early - i'll keep you posted

SIA..
you're a Stones fan damn-it, and the boys are in your backyard...

Not a good enough reason yet?

"PEAK BABY, PEAK!"
(was that loud enough, LOL )

02-11-03 04:29 PM
glencar Wow, the boys aare spending a lot of time Down Under, pre-tour. They have a week before the first show. Is there sightseeing on the schedule? Are they playing in NZ?
02-11-03 05:27 PM
fmk438j I watched the footage on the news ~11.40pm. I then went to bed and had intense dreams all through the night about how I was showing them around Sydney.

02-11-03 06:19 PM
exile here is the story if anyones interested
http://entertainment.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,4459,5972539%255E10431%255E%255Enbv,00.html

02-11-03 06:32 PM
CS Nice pic of Mick there

02-11-03 07:24 PM
riffhard64 hope they rock Australia like they rocked us in America....enjoy Aussies!!!
02-11-03 08:11 PM
corgi37 I fucking missed it. THis post has surprised the shit out of me. Tune in to the 6pm news tonight, as it may be on again. I wonder when the press conference will be? Funny thing though, nothing in the Sun this morning? Bloody right-wing piece of crap rag it is. Dont forget either, tomorrow night at 9pm on Foxtel channel 17.
02-11-03 08:51 PM
*ginda It's finally your turn, Australia. You've waited a long time. Enjoy and report back immediately!
02-11-03 08:54 PM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
parmeda wrote:

SIA..
you're a Stones fan damn-it, and the boys are in your backyard...

Not a good enough reason yet?

"PEAK BABY, PEAK!"
(was that loud enough, LOL )

yes, a stones fan for sure pam - but at this stage i'm trying to remain "cool, calm and collected" and get through the next 3 days of work

things will start moving into overdrive on sat afternoon when i get my flight from Adelaide to Sydney - that's when the roller-coaster takes off for real

peak time, of course, will be tuesday night which i expect will result in me, emotionally speaking, leaving the gravitational pull of this mundane world - the question remaining - will i ever come back down to earth??!!

02-11-03 09:42 PM
gypsymofo60 I hate to be a wet blanket here guys, but the reason it was so low key was because The bloody Aussie media ,(as usual), were more concerned with what banned substances their little blue-eyed Shaney had been indulging in. And if you think it's bad that The Stones had to play second fiddle to "bowled Warney!"....So did Australian Prime Minister John Howard's visit to D.C......Priorities in Australia are BIZZARE. By the way, I sympathise with all those people who've been ripped by that bloody fan club. FUCKING VULTURES, they are! But Stones are here, with sights, and sounds to delight your ears & eyes, and you'll be able to hear the very first of those in just a short while, dadadalalaldadalala..........
02-11-03 09:50 PM
telecaster
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
Bloody right-wing piece of crap rag it is. Dont forget either, tomorrow night at 9pm on Foxtel channel 17.

"Bloody right wing piece of crap rag"

Since you guys are down under is right wing left wing there?

Kinda like the water goes down the drain in reverse from the US?

You "mates" have much to look forward to.
02-11-03 10:04 PM
parmeda
quote:
yes, a stones fan for sure pam - but at this stage i'm trying to remain "cool, calm and collected" and get through the next 3 days of work

Ok...that's fair, work is important my friend...but then, all bets are off. LOL!
quote:
peak time, of course, will be tuesday night which i expect will result in me, emotionally speaking, leaving the gravitational pull of this mundane world - the question remaining - will i ever come back down to earth??!!

Oh, you will definately be 'taken to another place'...and, no...you will not land back on the ground for quite some time. BTW, THAT'S a good thing!

Just hurry back to tell your story
Have a great time!

02-11-03 10:10 PM
gypsymofo60
quote:
telecaster wrote:

"Bloody right wing piece of crap rag"

Since you guys are down under is right wing left wing there?

Kinda like the water goes down the drain in reverse from the US?

You "mates" have much to look forward to.

The Sun has asparations to being a little left of right. Yes! the water does run down the sink in an clockwise direction, and believe me! ...YOU AINT SEEN RIGHT WING 'till you've met a real right wing Aussie, Bob Katter, take a bow!
02-12-03 07:33 AM
corgi37 Right, step kids have walked off to their bedrooms in a huff, wifey has gone to bed early, even my Jack Russell "Charlie" is avoiding me, because i saw the footage of the Stones arrival!!!!!! Talk about low-bloody-key. shit, blink and ya miss it. But, as i have been telling all and sundry..THE STONES ARE HERE!!!! Normal broadcasts from my brain will now cease until 27th of Feb. Rightly, i have been avoided because Foxtel just played a snippet of tomorrows show and about 3 clips. So i am peaking right now. The last straw for the family was the voodoo video (not the pay per view, but the tour souvenir) getting slammed into the VCR and played at distressing volume in glorious surround sound. I dont care. Fuck em all (dont really mean that), but this is MY time now. Keep ya Bon Jovi's, Kiss, Springsteens, Paul "to scared to tour Oz" McCartney and even old Osama, cause my old geezers are in town, and no one, NO FUCKING ONE, will cause a stop to my fun. And, how odd, i'm 40 in September. You'd think i would grow up.

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST