ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Blondies have more fun!
America West Arena - Phoenix - January 30, 2003

By Little Red Rooster
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Hubert sumlin's "About Them Shoes" released!!!! Return to archive
02-10-03 11:52 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl According to the All Music Guide and "The Band" news posted today February 10, 2003, Hubert Sumlin's About them Shoes is already released by WEA.

I tried to check Amazon and CD Now with no results.

Check these links

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?...l=A10q5g4hztv4z

http://theband.hiof.no/updates.html

[Edited by VoodooChileInWOnderl]
02-11-03 12:04 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl

During the sessions
02-11-03 08:32 AM
scope I saw Hubert perform last friday night at a Blues tribute show in NY. He was really great. I gotta pick up some of his CD's.

FYI, this show at Radio City Music Hall was filmed for a PBS showing later this year. The show was 5 hours long and seeing it in person, it was way too long. Each artist did one number and then therre was 4-5 minutes until the next song. I would recommend catching the show when it hits the tube. There were a few sour moments that I don't think will make the fianl cut, but overall, it rocked. Dr. John, Buddy Guy, wow, words can't describe the sweetness that penetrated my ears. I could have done without the appearance of Stephen Tyler and Joe Perry to open the 2nd half, but at least they didn't do any Aerosmith.

Below is a review that appeared in a local paper:

Painting the Full Palette of Blues
By Glenn Gamboa
STAFF WRITER

February 10, 2003

As a concert, A Salute to the Blues was too much to process. Too big. Too long. Too amazing. Too musically stunning. Too historic to really comprehend at this point.

Years from now, historians will point to the five-hour marathon concert, which featured practically every blues legend still around, and marvel at the last time such luminaries were gathered in one place. From Angelique Kidjo's gorgeous introduction, to the finale of B.B. King, Bonnie Raitt and Robert Cray 42 songs later, the salute was filled with one blues memory after another.

"When I think about tonight, chills run through me," King said, after a thrilling version of "Sweet Sixteen." "Lucille even screams a little."

The goal of A Salute to the Blues, meant as a kickoff to a yearlong celebration of blues music and its contribution to popular culture, was twofold - to chronicle its history and look toward the future. The show handled the first part with ease. Honeyboy Edwards, legendary bluesman Robert Johnson's former bandmate, and Robert Jr. Lockwood, Johnson's stepson, each performed powerfully - Edwards on "Gamblin' Man Blues" and Lockwood on "Every Day I Have the Blues." Odetta belted out a stirring version of the "Jim Crow Blues," while Ruth Brown showed that "Mama, He Treats Your Daughter Mean" sounds as good today as it did 50 years ago.

It was hard to get a flow going in a concert that stops after each song for filming purposes - an edited version, directed by Antoine Fuqua, will air on PBS this fall in a new series of blues films produced by Martin Scorsese. However, there were special moments.

Brown teamed up with Mavis Staples and Natalie Cole for one of the evening's highlights, a soaring version of "Men Are Like Streetcars" that used Bill Cosby as a visual aid. Cole was a nice surprise, one of many contemporary artists on hand to show how the blues still inspires. India.Arie offered a haunting version of "Strange Fruit," while Macy Gray rocked the place with "Hound Dog" and Angie Stone made "Stormy Monday" her own.

Several acts proposed possibilities for the blues' future. Chris Thomas King offered his blues-meets- electronica vision, a hepped-up version of the Moby blues creations on "Play." The Jon Spencer Blues Explosion provided its electrified blues mixed with Sonic Youth-styled noise rock.

However, Chuck D. and his newly created Fine Arts Militia may have rolled out the most potent attempt, turning John Lee Hooker's "Boom Boom" into a raging blues-rock antiwar anthem called "No Boom Boom." It showed that the blues can still be used as a form of protest, while maintaining its sense of humor and style. Fueled with that kind of fire, the blues may never die.

MUSIC REVIEW

A SALUTE TO THE BLUES. A once-in-a-lifetime concert to celebrate where the blues has been and consider where the genre is going. Featuring legends such as B.B. King, Buddy Guy, Odetta and Honeyboy Edwards. At Radio City Music Hall on Friday.
Copyright � 2003, Newsday, Inc.

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST