ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Blondies have more fun!
America West Arena - Phoenix - January 30, 2003

By Little Red Rooster
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Need help with "Undercover Of The Night" lyrics Return to archive
02-10-03 09:55 AM
Grateful OK, how about this one?

THE SMELL OF SEX, THE SMELL OF SUICIDE
ALL THESE dream? THINGS I CAN�T KEEP INSIDE

I've seen internet interpretations that say "great" or "strange". When sung live, it sounds more like two syllables. Anyone know? Thanks.
02-10-03 10:00 AM
Fiji Joe I thought it was "green things"...I could be wrong
02-10-03 10:08 AM
icydanger lol
will listen
02-10-03 10:32 AM
gypsymofo60 According to the official lyrics it is "all these dream things"....Mick's accentuation can be deliberately ambiguous, he said once ; "that's when the bad lines come up". According to the lyric sheet he sings; "everything ya see on the movie screen is tame", and then repeats the same line, but listen to the song, and he says something about....pourin' rain I think!
02-10-03 11:16 AM
Fiji Joe bs!..."green things" makes a whole lot more sense in the context of the song...so, that's what he's saying...know what I'm saying
02-10-03 04:24 PM
Strange_Stray_Cat Check out Keno's site.
02-10-03 05:15 PM
Fiji Joe Keno's site just says "things"...but clearly, there are two syllables in the song...It's "green things" damnit!...As in strange South American food that would not set well with Mick's delicate English pallete
02-10-03 05:25 PM
Fiji Joe OK OK...I ripped the song to my .wav editor, slowed it down, isolated the verse in question and here's what could be heard...

"...all these fucking without a doubt, unequivocably, no room for debate, only a fool couldn't see it, tell the whole world Fiji, GREEN THINGS I can't keep inside..."

I told ya
02-10-03 05:32 PM
Gazza what would "all these green things I cant keep inside" possibly mean unless he'd just been watching a video of "The Exorcist" or something??

I've always SANG along with it as "great things", although like many other Stones lyrics down the years,I could well be wrong!
02-10-03 05:35 PM
Gazza >As in strange South American food that would not set well with Mick's delicate English pallete

oh,I dunno - Mick has eaten quite a few south american dishes down the years, I would imagine.... in fact he even had a child with one about 4 years ago.....
02-10-03 08:24 PM
Nasty Habits I've always heard it as "dream things", as in "sex" and "suicide", idle fantasies that are bubbling to the surface under cover of the night.

02-10-03 08:43 PM
Fiji Joe You know, green things can just as easily bubble to the surface...and often tend to do so at night, undercover
02-10-03 09:23 PM
Nasty Habits Leave the contents of your nostrils out of this serious Stones discussion!

Does anyone know where the archaic slang phrase "Seen anything green?" comes from?

Maybe the green things is money. Money used for vice . . . undercover of the night. . .
02-11-03 12:23 AM
StrangeStrayCat For what it's worth, I've always heard "dream things" as well And I'm a huge Exorcist fan!!

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST