ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

© Frank Micelotta with thanks to Gypsy
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: "Yanks 'cock' up right to free speech (Daily Mirror - tongue-in-cheek Stones Superbowl content) Return to archive
February 9th, 2006 08:13 AM
Gazza

YANKS COCK UP THE RIGHT TO FREE SPEECH
9 February 2006

HERE'S a challenge to all of those bravehearts currently banging on about how they'd fight to their dying breath to preserve our right to free speech.

Pick up your gun, use up your Virgin air miles and go shoot those fundamental religious fanatics who've just suppressed a 62-year-old knight of the British realm's right to express himself.

I'm talking about Sir Mick Jagger having two songs censored by American TV networks during Sunday's Super-bowl, for fear they would upset the country's dominant Christian right. Did he call Jesus gay or Mary a whore? No. He mentioned a grain-eating farmyard animal.

This is the line deemed so offensive in the land of BLEEP* that it had to be taken off screen: "Once upon a time I was your little rooster, am I just one of your cocks?" And if you think stopping a rock-and-roll pensioner saying "cocks" is nothing to worry about, think again. These are the same TV networks who decide what their people see whenever BLEEP* sends troops on a foreign military adventure.

In this new era of "embedded journalism" Americans only see what the Pentagon wants them to. Material which is sanitised again by CBS and NBC for the patriotic sensibilities of Mid- American couch potatoes.

Those sanctimonious ones among us who believe free speech is what differentiates us enlightened Westerners from Eastern fanatics are deluding themselves.

You know why America was paranoid over the Stones' lyrics? Because during the 2004 Superbowl Janet Jackson's nipple slipped out and 500,000 viewers registered their disgust. Yet we slag off Muslims for stopping their women showing off their bodies.

We demand the arrest of mad mullahs such as Old Hooky when they talk of global domination as a necessity to satisfy Allah, yet think nothing of BLEEP* admitting he holds conversations with his God. And is occasionally told to invade nations whose politics he doesn't agree with.

How does BLEEP* use his freedom of speech? To say who can own nuclear weapons (countries who submit to American dominance) and who can't (those who don't). He uses it to call cultures which don't conform to his Christian world view "The Axis of Evil".

THIS man uses it to ask Congress to give him £230billion a year for weapons to see off anyone who "threatens" the Christian way of life.

He used it to say: "Ah feel good" at the start of a religious crusade which has killed 32,000 Iraqis, 2,250 Americans and more than 100 Britons.

He uses it to tell henchmen to pick up Muslim "suspects" and fly them to friendly countries for torture. (Obviously not seen on US TV, because sticking electrodes in "cocks" might offend.)

He uses his free speech to invent reasons for wars, then clams up when quizzed on his lies. But still we good old Brits are proud of our "special relationship" and say we'd fight to our dying breath to protect this form of free speech and our shared way of life.

Let's abandon the moral high ground and admit we are as censored as Western governments need us to be to sustain their economic and military dominance. A censorship we never question because it's white, speaks our lingo and sends us Britney Spears and The Sopranos.

*Owing to this column being available on the internet in America, I have censored the use of the US President's name - because it can be construed as a term for female pubic hair.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/brianreade/
[Edited by Gazza]
February 9th, 2006 09:04 AM
Barney Fife Ironic that we don't call ourselves "Yanks."
February 9th, 2006 09:08 AM
PartyDoll MEG Thanks for thought provoking material!! Tongue-in-cheek?
February 9th, 2006 09:14 AM
glencar Reade doesn't get it. It all goes back to Jackson's tit. Almost everyone over here thinks it was silly to cover up either word. I can see if they deleted ONNYA because of "fucking" but "cocks" is pretty specific in its use & "come" is rather obscurely sung at the end. I have a friend who says he never eralized what Mick was saying in that line.
February 9th, 2006 09:21 AM
Angiegirl Yeah, it was rather serious Gary...

Especially the footnote
February 9th, 2006 09:25 AM
Break The Spell
quote:
glencar wrote:
Reade doesn't get it. It all goes back to Jackson's tit. Almost everyone over here thinks it was silly to cover up either word. I can see if they deleted ONNYA because of "fucking" but "cocks" is pretty specific in its use & "come" is rather obscurely sung at the end. I have a friend who says he never eralized what Mick was saying in that line.

Exactly!! There were some people at my work wondering why "Start Me Up" of all songs needed censored. I told them about the "come" line at the end and they never new after 25 years of hearing that song that word was used. One guy thought Mick was saying
"You make a dead man walk"!!
February 9th, 2006 09:29 AM
glencar I like how this guy attacks the USA & it's Christians. Let's see get really brave & make a cartoon featuring Mohammad. Then he can write a really funny article...from the road!
February 9th, 2006 10:56 AM
Gazza
quote:
glencar wrote:
I like how this guy attacks the USA & it's Christians. Let's see get really brave & make a cartoon featuring Mohammad. Then he can write a really funny article...from the road!

I think it's actually intended to be a bit ironic and tongue in cheek, to be honest
[Edited by Gazza]
February 9th, 2006 10:57 AM
glencar I thought so. But in these heated rhetorical times one never knows, do one?
February 9th, 2006 12:25 PM
CHIEFMOON Nice little article there.
Hits the nail on the head.

Funny too.
February 9th, 2006 01:42 PM
texile personally - the whole rosster and cock references make me cringe anyway because they're cheesy....especially from a 62 year old man.
so im kinda glad they bleeped it -lol.
February 9th, 2006 01:46 PM
lotsajizz
quote:
texile wrote:
personally - the whole rosster and cock references make me cringe anyway because they're cheesy....especially from a 62 year old man.
so im kinda glad they bleeped it -lol.

why?

I'm 41
I sure hope I have a cock in 21 more years!

nothin' cheesy there

OK now

Cazart!
February 9th, 2006 01:56 PM
texile
quote:
lotsajizz wrote:

why?

I'm 41

nothin' cheesy there

OK now

Cazart!

i hope you have one in 21 years too -
but that's not what's cheesy....
its the adolescent reference to it that makes me cringe.
yeah, i know - its the stones, rock and roll blah, blah...
sorry, i like the riff and the chorus but most of the lyrics are just dumb....no wit or self-mockery -
it's jagger trying too hard to be.....what he thinks people think mick jagger is or was.
February 9th, 2006 02:21 PM
Angiegirl
quote:
texile wrote:
it's jagger trying too hard to be.....

hard?
February 9th, 2006 04:13 PM
texile
quote:
Angiegirl wrote:

hard?

that too maybe....
jerry hall IS the new spokesperson for erectile dysfunction.....
did she draw on experience?
February 9th, 2006 11:18 PM
the good
quote:
lotsajizz wrote:

why?

I'm 41

nothin' cheesy there

OK now

Cazart!

I'll bet you wish you had one now
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)