ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

© Frank Micelotta with thanks to Gypsy
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: barry manilow reached #1, ABB did not Return to archive
February 8th, 2006 09:29 PM
Lethargy http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1001993401

And by the way, please don't flame me. I don't judge the quality of a release by its chart position. It has more to do with the sad state of current musical tastes than anything.

Then again, I suppose Manilow at #1 isn't quite as painful as Mariah Carey, Britney Spears, or .
February 8th, 2006 09:32 PM
voodoopug
quote:
Lethargy wrote:
http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1001993401

And by the way, please don't flame me. I don't judge the quality of a release by its chart position. It has more to do with the sad state of current musical tastes than anything.

Then again, I suppose Manilow at #1 isn't quite as painful as Mariah Carey, Britney Spears, or .

There is no way to logically flame you...you didnt post a ridiculous opinion...you posted hard, concrete facts. Once again, we have been humiliated. This really numbs the good feeling I had about the band after the Super Bowl (aside from a embarrasing job by the sound engineers, see "the mix")
February 8th, 2006 09:42 PM
Lethargy
quote:
voodoopug wrote:

There is no way to logically flame you...you didnt post a ridiculous opinion...you posted hard, concrete facts. Once again, we have been humiliated. This really numbs the good feeling I had about the band after the Super Bowl (aside from a embarrasing job by the sound engineers, see "the mix")

No kidding about the sound engineers. If you were a sound engineer at the FRIGGIN SUPERBOWL, and if you totally f*cked it up, wouldn't you be fired as a given?! I would think so. How hard can it be to...well...leave the sound on?
February 8th, 2006 09:42 PM
Lazy Bones No biggie...

Many, to this day, are still "humiliated" because a Rolling Stones record doesn't reach number one. A word that frequents Rocks Off far too much, by the way. I prefer synonyms like demeaned, mortified and shamed - they have more substance.

Personally, I find this a little confusing because in the same breath, the same people classify and appreciate the Stones, mainly, as a touring act and not a studio machine.

[enter famous Stones song cliche, here]...
February 8th, 2006 09:45 PM
voodoopug
quote:
Lazy Bones wrote:
No biggie...

Many, to this day, are still "humiliated" because a Rolling Stones record doesn't reach number one. A word that frequents Rocks Off far too much, by the way. I prefer synonyms like demeaned, mortified and shamed - they have more substance.

Personally, I find this a little confusing because in the same breath, the same people classify and appreciate the Stones, mainly, as a touring act and not a studio machine.

[enter famous Stones song cliche, here]...

not as much that a record does not reach #1, but when they release a VERY GOOD album and it doesnt go to #1 when media darlings such as U2 do
February 8th, 2006 10:00 PM
Lazy Bones
quote:
voodoopug wrote:
not as much that a record does not reach #1, but when they release a VERY GOOD album and it doesnt go to #1 when media darlings such as U2 do

Well, sure, Pug, it may be frustrating because you detest U2, but does it really undermine your appreciation for the Stones? Isn't that what really matters to you?

To me, the Stones represent a special part of my life. The albums, the shows and pre-show parties, the memories are what the Stones' "way of life" (as Sir Stonesalot puts it) does for me. The success of others acts, whether it surpasses numbers and/or dollars compared to the Stones is irrelevant.

Sure it would be nice to see every Stones album reach number one world-wide, but those numbers represent millions of people - people with their own opinions and choices. Something we have no control over. If A Bigger Bang - a "very good album", I agree - only sold one unit, I wouldn't give a shit, because I'd have it. That's all that matters!
February 8th, 2006 10:04 PM
voodoopug
quote:
Lazy Bones wrote:

Well, sure, Pug, it may be frustrating because you detest U2, but does it really undermine your appreciation for the Stones? Isn't that what really matters to you?

To me, the Stones represent a special part of my life. The albums, the shows and pre-show parties, the memories are what the Stones' "way of life" (as Sir Stonesalot puts it) does for me. The success of others acts, whether it surpasses numbers and/or dollars compared to the Stones is irrelevant.

Sure it would be nice to see every Stones album reach number one world-wide, but those numbers represent millions of people - people with their own opinions and choices. Something we have no control over. If A Bigger Bang - a "very good album", I agree - only sold one unit, I wouldn't give a shit, because I'd have it. That's all that matters!

you make valid points, and atmosphere is what truly makes it for me. But, in all aspects of my life, I strive for the best, I work long hours to provide the best life for my family, when i was in my band, i practiced long and hard to do my best, etc and it does take a bit of the shine off to always finish second best!
February 8th, 2006 10:13 PM
Lazy Bones
quote:
voodoopug wrote:
when i was in my band, i practiced long and hard to do my best

I know. I remember Hockeytown Cafe, Detroit, MI. 12th October, 2002 very well!
February 9th, 2006 06:51 AM
IzzyStradlin
quote:
Lethargy wrote:
http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1001993401

Now that's funny.
February 9th, 2006 07:06 AM
Break The Spell I look at it this way, Manilow got a #1 album by doing cover songs that are familiar to many people, the stones got all the way to #3 by putting out an album of all new material!! Not bad after 43 years. Usually it seems after a band or performer is around 15-20 years people no longer have an interest in new material from them and their new releases don't even break the top 40!! So the fact that the Stones got to #3 with a new album this far down the line is something we can all be proud of.
February 9th, 2006 07:29 AM
Ten Thousand Motels Barry Manilow!!!!.....WTF?.....I thought he was dead.
February 9th, 2006 07:38 AM
Break The Spell
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:
Barry Manilow!!!!.....WTF?.....I thought he was dead.

He's not dead, just his career, which is why he's one of those guys that now has to do covers / standards albums instaed of new original material to get attention.
February 9th, 2006 09:32 AM
Lazy Bones
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:
Barry Manilow!!!!.....WTF?.....I thought he was dead.

Wouldn't be surprising if he was though, would it? Many reach number one, or obtain above average sales with post-death releases.
February 9th, 2006 10:44 AM
voodoopug
quote:
Lazy Bones wrote:

I know. I remember Hockeytown Cafe, Detroit, MI. 12th October, 2002 very well!

ughhhh
February 9th, 2006 10:45 AM
voodoopug
quote:
Break The Spell wrote:

He's not dead, just his career, which is why he's one of those guys that now has to do covers / standards albums instaed of new original material to get attention.

see Rod Stewart
February 9th, 2006 11:46 AM
Break The Spell Yes, its a shame old Rod went the same route, especially since his albums during the years Woody was his guitarist were pretty damn good.
February 9th, 2006 12:07 PM
voodoopug
quote:
Break The Spell wrote:
Yes, its a shame old Rod went the same route, especially since his albums during the years Woody was his guitarist were pretty damn good.

agreed 100%
February 9th, 2006 12:33 PM
Fadeout_Freedom forgetting chart positions for a minute, how did BM's album compare to ABB in its first week as far as TOTAL SALES?

If I remember correctly, the Stones were kept out of the top spot by Kanye West and I forget who was 2nd..

Not sure what the sales numbers are but, surely Barry also would've been kept out of the top spot had his record company been dumb enough to release his CD last September....
February 9th, 2006 06:56 PM
Soldatti
quote:
Fadeout_Freedom wrote:
forgetting chart positions for a minute, how did BM's album compare to ABB in its first week as far as TOTAL SALES?

If I remember correctly, the Stones were kept out of the top spot by Kanye West and I forget who was 2nd..

Not sure what the sales numbers are but, surely Barry also would've been kept out of the top spot had his record company been dumb enough to release his CD last September....

The Stones didn't get a US #1 album since 1981 because of bad timing release. ABB debuted at #3 with 129k sold (West was #1 with 285k and 50 Cent #2 with 153k) but two weeks before (the tour-start week) the #1 album did only 100k.
Back on 2002, Forty Licks was one of the 3 albums with sales over 300k during the first week but without hiting the #1 spot.
B2B lost the #1 in 1997 by less than 15,000 copies too.
February 10th, 2006 09:15 AM
Break The Spell Even though the last Stones #1 album was in 1981, I'm pretty sure every studio album since the mid-60's has made its debut in the top 5, or at the very least top 10. Not a bad track record.
February 10th, 2006 10:53 AM
Soldatti
quote:
Break The Spell wrote:
Even though the last Stones #1 album was in 1981, I'm pretty sure every studio album since the mid-60's has made its debut in the top 5, or at the very least top 10. Not a bad track record.

An impressive record, check here:
http://www.geocities.com/fedepetti/album.htm
February 10th, 2006 11:15 AM
Saint Sway
quote:
Lethargy wrote:

"Please dont flame me"

Lethargy, you are lucky I didnt see you on your NY stop over yesterday... Flame you??? I would of doused you in gasoline and torched you in effigy. Why are you even worried about this???? WHY??? Who gives a shit?? Why read Billboard??? To see what pop records are selling?? Fuck that.

Bands with talent do not sell records. Thats the golden rule.

Backstreet Boys, Ashlee Simpson and Barry Manilow and rap artists sell zillions. Meanwhile all the talented bands in your record collection dont chart. Think about it. Record sales = crap.

if your talented, passionate and you have something to say with your music you can guarantee that the record industry will NOT make any attempt to sell it to the public.

but if your useless cheesy bubblegram crap they will spend all their time and money spoon feeding down the publics throat.

therefore, not selling records in 2006 is a badge of honor.

Stones should be proud.

[Edited by Saint Sway]
February 10th, 2006 11:29 AM
Break The Spell
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:

"Please dont flame me"

Lethargy, you are lucky I didnt see you on your NY stop over yesterday... Flame you??? I would of doused you in gasoline and torched you in effigy. Why are you even worried about this???? WHY??? Who gives a shit?? Why read Billboard??? To see what pop records are selling?? Fuck that.

Bands with talent do not sell records. Thats the golden rule.

Backstreet Boys, Ashlee Simpson and Barry Manilow and rap artists sell zillions. Meanwhile all the talented bands in your record collection dont chart. Think about it. Record sales = crap.

if your talented, passionate and you have something to say with your music you can guarantee that the record industry will NOT make any attempt to sell it to the public.

but if your useless cheesy bubblegram crap they will spend all their time and money spoon feeding down the publics throat.

therefore, not selling records in 2006 is a badge of honor.

Stones should be proud.

[Edited by Saint Sway]

My thoughts exactly. Once upon a time, the quality of music did matter, but ever since the dawn of eMpTV its been more about how pretty you look in your slick video than how good the song is.
February 10th, 2006 01:50 PM
Jumping Jack Manilow's average ticket price at the Las Vegas Hilton is higher than the average Stones ticket price.
February 10th, 2006 01:52 PM
Break The Spell
quote:
Jumping Jack wrote:
Manilow's average ticket price at the Las Vegas Hilton is higher than the average Stones ticket price.

Some well known acts who play regularly in places like Vegas make the Stones top ticket prices look like a steal.
February 10th, 2006 02:37 PM
gimmekeef We spend a lot of collective mental energy worrying about things like this.When the history of Rock and Music legacy is defined the Stones will be higher than any of these short term commercial artists.At the very top!.Lets all hoist a beer this evening; put our fave boot on real loud and toast the Greatest Band That Ever Prowled the Land!..Manilow...Spamilow...Grammies?..Schammies!...U2? You Tool...Macca?..Smmacca.Eminem?..Enema...Snoop Dog?..Poop Dog..Britney?...Titney!!.....

START ME FUCKIN UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
February 11th, 2006 05:41 AM
Jumping Jack Words of wisdom, LOL!!!
February 11th, 2006 07:29 AM
NHStonesfan barry manilow reached #1, ABB did not

More people read Peanuts than Shapespeare, doesn't make it better..............
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)