ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

© Frank Micelotta with thanks to Gypsy
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Bad Taste Wins Out Again Return to archive
February 8th, 2006 12:55 PM
glencar http://www.undercover.com.au/news/2006/feb06/20060207_barrymanilow.html
February 8th, 2006 01:12 PM
gimmekeef More pablum for the aging masses....Elton John will be the next turd using this gimmick...
February 8th, 2006 01:27 PM
Voodoo Scrounge What a load of shit.

I dont like Rod Stewarts American Songbook shite. But at least Rod is a little bit credible.

Barry Manilow is for want of a better phrase,"a cunt"
February 8th, 2006 01:34 PM
jb Stones only shot at #1 was 40 Licks, which sold over 350k first week. Sadly, the timimng, again was wrong, as Elvis' #1's beat us. I was and still am disappointed to not have a #1 album in the 21st century....life is a bitch!!!
February 8th, 2006 01:44 PM
glencar Unfortunately, the only way there could be a #1 album at this point is for them to try the standards...
February 8th, 2006 01:55 PM
Soldatti
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:
More pablum for the aging masses....Elton John will be the next turd using this gimmick...

Macca could be the next one too. Rod has sold more albums with the American Songbook collection than all his previous albums together, his last studio album sold about half of GITD (200,000 copies) and only two years after he sold 3 million in US of the vol. 1 of his collection.
February 8th, 2006 02:24 PM
texile leave the standards to the old standards...
its a hideous gimmick that gave guys like stewart a new career....
how fucking hard is it to get played on the adult contemporary stations?
not very - they'll play anything as long as its colorless....
as frustrated i am with the stones -
they would NEVER be that bland.
they might SUCK but they would never be colorless.
February 8th, 2006 02:35 PM
Break The Spell Just another reason to love the Stones, not only do they not re-record their own material, or worse, OTHER's material the way that Rod and Barry are, but they still record and perform new material after 44 of being a band!! "A Bigger Bang" may not be their best ever album, but it shows they still have a lot to offer and can still ROCK unlike many their age.
February 8th, 2006 05:03 PM
JuanTCB
quote:
jb wrote:
Stones only shot at #1 was 40 Licks, which sold over 350k first week. Sadly, the timimng, again was wrong, as Elvis' #1's beat us. I was and still am disappointed to not have a #1 album in the 21st century....life is a bitch!!!

If you're gonna be beat, though, at least it was by Elvis!
February 8th, 2006 05:17 PM
Prodigal Son These adult contemp. loving dummies should be buying the music of the people who ORIGINALLY did these songs. Screw Rod's version. You want good Rod? Get a hits collection or Every Picture Tells a Story (one of the top 50 albums ever!) or others from his first 4 albums. Shows you how bad public taste is when Rod sells with crap like this and Tonight I'm Yours, Camouflage, etc. Ugh... I hate Rod and I loathe Manilow.
February 8th, 2006 05:35 PM
Gazza
quote:
glencar wrote:
Unfortunately, the only way there could be a #1 album at this point is for them to try the standards...

either that or an untimely death
February 9th, 2006 02:51 AM
Voodoo Scrounge I dont think that if any of the stones were to die, it would be labelled an "untimely" death.
February 9th, 2006 09:10 AM
glencar
quote:
Gazza wrote:

either that or an untimely death

That was actually going to be in my original post but I was afraid of dwelling on that. VS, more like a Lennon-type of thing as far as untimely...
February 9th, 2006 09:52 AM
glencar You know, the Stones actually had a better marketing campaign than Manilow & they even stirred up some pre-release controversy & yet still they couldn't hit #1 & yet this warm-over pablum debuted right at the top. Would the Stones be better off releasing an album in the dead of winter?
February 9th, 2006 10:46 AM
Paranoid_Android Have any of you actually LISTENED to Mannilow's new CD? It is worthy of Album of the Year and a great listen. Much better than anything the Stones have put out in the last 20 years.
The sales figures don't lie...BARRY MANNILOW IS THE KING!!!

FYI...I had a frontal lobotomy this past Tuesday

February 9th, 2006 10:48 AM
glencar LOL You had me going for a second there!
February 9th, 2006 11:37 AM
Break The Spell
quote:
glencar wrote:
You know, the Stones actually had a better marketing campaign than Manilow & they even stirred up some pre-release controversy & yet still they couldn't hit #1 & yet this warm-over pablum debuted right at the top. Would the Stones be better off releasing an album in the dead of winter?

Sadly, unless they sell-out the way Barry and Rod have, a #1 won't happen. A good album of rock and blues just won't sell to all the fans of slick, over-produced tripe with no soul. Maybe the Stones could have a #1 if they cover tender love songs of the early 60's featuring Diana Ross and Tom Jones!! Then again, maybe its better to not have a #1 these days if those are the depths you have to sink to!!
[Edited by Break The Spell]
[Edited by Break The Spell]
February 9th, 2006 02:48 PM
glencar I think if they had released ABB this month, a #1 would have been a cakewalk. Sales this time of year are pretty soft & the Stones will always sell 150,000 out of the gate.
February 10th, 2006 06:18 AM
IzzyStradlin
quote:
Prodigal Son wrote:
These adult contemp. loving dummies should be buying the music of the people who ORIGINALLY did these songs. Screw Rod's version. You want good Rod? Get a hits collection or Every Picture Tells a Story (one of the top 50 albums ever!) or others from his first 4 albums. Shows you how bad public taste is when Rod sells with crap like this and Tonight I'm Yours, Camouflage, etc. Ugh... I hate Rod and I loathe Manilow.

Gasoline Alley and Never a Dull Moment are both better than Every Picture Tells a Story IMO, but all 3 are good. All Faces stuff is good.

Rod died a couple years before the Stones did, circa 1975.
February 10th, 2006 06:19 AM
IzzyStradlin
quote:
glencar wrote:
I think if they had released ABB this month, a #1 would have been a cakewalk. Sales this time of year are pretty soft & the Stones will always sell 150,000 out of the gate.

Ya who cares? The album would still have the same songs on it wouldn't it?

Answer = yes.

Thus, it makes no difference when it was released. The album still sucks.
February 10th, 2006 06:22 AM
IzzyStradlin
quote:
glencar wrote:
You know, the Stones actually had a better marketing campaign than Manilow & they even stirred up some pre-release controversy & yet still they couldn't hit #1 & yet this warm-over pablum debuted right at the top. Would the Stones be better off releasing an album in the dead of winter?

At some point, you simply have to look at the quality of the songs. In the end, this is what determines the sales or lack thereof.

In the Stones case, it doesn't help that they've put out shit for the last 20 years or more.
February 10th, 2006 06:39 AM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
IzzyStradlin wrote:

Thus, it makes no difference when it was released. The album still sucks.

i'm not saying your right or wrong...however, what are you buying or listening to these days...just so i can put your statement into some sort of perspective...
February 10th, 2006 07:02 AM
Break The Spell
quote:
IzzyStradlin wrote:

Gasoline Alley and Never a Dull Moment are both better than Every Picture Tells a Story IMO, but all 3 are good. All Faces stuff is good.

He was pretty relevant through most of the 70's, certainly more pop by decades end but still ok stuff. I do agree his best was 69-74. Lets not even talk about the present however...
February 10th, 2006 07:45 AM
Jumacfly
quote:
IzzyStradlin wrote:

the Stones died in 1976??
what about 77/82??
may be you were not born yet...
February 10th, 2006 06:19 PM
Soldatti
quote:
IzzyStradlin wrote:
At some point, you simply have to look at the quality of the songs. In the end, this is what determines the sales or lack thereof.

In the Stones case, it doesn't help that they've put out shit for the last 20 years or more.

Sales equals quality?
Dirty Work sold well, Undercover sold well, Steel Wheels was multi-platinum, VL too.
February 10th, 2006 07:26 PM
IzzyStradlin
quote:
Soldatti wrote:

Sales equals quality?
Dirty Work sold well, Undercover sold well, Steel Wheels was multi-platinum, VL too.

Try reading (and understanding) my entire post. I said it didn't help that they've put out shit the last 20 years or so. Dirty Work et al was closer on the heels to when they were actually decent, thus the better sales. The longer you put out shit, the less likely you sell the next time around. Get it?

Some of you guys ar ereally thick.
February 10th, 2006 07:30 PM
IzzyStradlin
quote:
Break The Spell wrote:

He was pretty relevant through most of the 70's, certainly more pop by decades end but still ok stuff. I do agree his best was 69-74. Lets not even talk about the present however...

Relevant sales-wise maybe, but "Tonight's the Night", "You're In My Heart" and "Da YA Think I'm Sexy" are a far cry from "Gasoline Alley", "You Wear It Well" "Maggie May" "Stay With Me" etc.

2 different artists.

The decline actually started in the mid 70's in my opinion.

February 10th, 2006 08:14 PM
the good
quote:
IzzyStradlin wrote:

Try reading (and understanding) my entire post. I said it didn't help that they've put out shit the last 20 years or so. Dirty Work et al was closer on the heels to when they were actually decent, thus the better sales. The longer you put out shit, the less likely you sell the next time around. Get it?

Some of you guys ar ereally thick.

No, your thick. Did you or did you not say that in the end, album quality is ultimately what drives album sales? Yeah, you did. In the end means that fact supersedes anything else, and thus, the statement stands on its own.
[Edited by the good]
February 10th, 2006 08:45 PM
lotsajizz
quote:
IzzyStradlin wrote:
The decline actually started in the mid 70's in my opinion.

and you're an example of someone who doesn't get IT

in my opinion

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)