ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

With Mari Ann Moller @ the premier of Roman Polanski's "Cul de Sac"
© 1966, 2002 Associated Newspapers Archives

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: exile on main street - the vinyl touch Return to archive
02-08-04 05:13 AM
soul surf i for (hope this is the right place for my question):

I'm confused about "my precious". I want to know which 1972 vinyl-pressing has the best sound in your humble opinions.
I did have a japanese EMI pressing from around 1978. I just bought a Warner-japanese original (1972). The first sounds filtered and that's probably why I always loved it: it never makes me tired. (Because there is no redundant high notes/noise?)
The second which I bought this week. sounds more open, no filtering. At first very atractive with more details, in the long run exhausting.

I did read some stories about Bob Ludwig's job. I heard it on CD. I liked it. But I feel there must be some good original pressings somewhere. 69100 UK perhaps ? Please testify and tell me.

exile on main street is a strange street to walk down
02-08-04 08:57 AM
UGot2Rollme soul surfer - it doesn't matter which pressing you have, or even if you've got it on CD - the secret is to play it damn loud and you'll love it!

welcome to the show!
02-08-04 09:00 AM
mac_daddy welocome 2 ro (alot of folkw with that moniker running around these days )

which Japanese vinyl did mickboy use..? that sounds pretty f*cking good to me!!!
02-08-04 11:55 AM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy Rumor has it Mickboy used the Japanese acetate, but I'm not sure. That's the best CD pressing of the album you'll find. As for Vinyl, I'm not sure. (I have the first European pressing and I love it for its murky grunginess, but I don't know how it compares to the others)

-tSYX --- It's gonna be the death of me...
02-08-04 06:30 PM
stonedinaustralia i have an "original" vinyl - i.e. it's got the postcards

i bought it second hand and don't know how much use it had B4 i bought it but it looks in good condition - i've never played it for two reasons
1. i don't want to give it anymore wear and tear
2. i don't have a functional turntable
02-08-04 06:39 PM
Nasty Habits I am with the xyz -- the best sounding version I've heard is the UK original. I have the EMI Jap. copy you mentioned and think it's great (What do you think of the Japanese press of Let It Bleed? I love it!) but I think that I get most excited by the sound on my British version. But my ears are kind of weird -- the best version of Electric Ladyland I've ever heard is the UK mono/stereo track version so I am by far a guy who prefers grunge to clarity almost every time. . .

BEST VIEWED HIGH