ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

With Mari Ann Moller @ the premier of Roman Polanski's "Cul de Sac"
© 1966, 2002 Associated Newspapers Archives

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: NSC: Rod sells out--AGAIN! Return to archive
02-06-04 10:42 AM
luridchief He's a "Three Time Loser." I'm sure that the album with Woody is a low priority since he's now doing a THIRD album of standards:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=84&e=1&u=/pagesix/20040206/en_pagesix/justregularrod
02-06-04 01:00 PM
Factory Girl I have always thought that Rod betrayed his talent.

Rod Stewart was the worst concert I've ever seen (and I've seen many!). He seemed completely bored by his own music. He was more interested in costume changes and in parading his (then) babies with Rachel Hunter on stage.

What a turn-off! Shame on you, Rod!
02-06-04 01:09 PM
steel driving hammer Rod I still love you but......................

It's better that you kill the light, you're giving us all a fright.

Now you wanna throw the dice, you already crapped out twice, ah yeah...

02-06-04 01:12 PM
LadyJane I was thinking about getting tickets for Rod's upcoming concert in Buffalo...but then I saw that Mr. David Bowie is playing a theatre show in May. Needless to say, I will be seeing the "thin white duke" (if I can snag tickets).

LJ.
02-06-04 01:46 PM
Martha Good luck getting your Bowie tickets LJ. I am shooting for the second Bowie show (we saw him in Cleveland Jan. 7th) right before your's on May 24th in Columbus, OH. Tix on sale 10 am tomorrow!

Rod is Rod, he does what he likes, I can't fault him for that. He did change his shirt a bahzillion times when I was him perform in 1998. WTF?

I want him to reunite with Ronnie! And blues me all night long. Damn!
02-06-04 01:54 PM
Factory Girl Who has that "Unplugged and Seated" CD Rod did with Ronnie???

I had it, but traded it in. Now, its out of print.

02-06-04 02:39 PM
Pattie

That''s a good cd!!!!!
I love the songs on there
02-06-04 03:03 PM
Monkey Woman
quote:
Is your work on the "American Songbook" albums about growing old gracefully?

And about riskless moneymaking, eh, Rod?
02-06-04 03:11 PM
parmeda omg...I'm going to see Rod on the 20th.
Am I going to be bumbed out? ...damn, I better bring a lot of film for the wardrobe changes, lol
02-06-04 03:26 PM
Factory Girl Pammy, you better bring lots of chiba.
02-06-04 06:06 PM
macawber singing old standards or bring members of n'sync onstage and putting rap samples in your songs,its equally as bad.
these guys really need to remember how they got to the dance in the first place.
02-06-04 07:21 PM
Hannalee When I saw Rod interviewed on Parkinson last year, I got the impression that he's lost confidence in his voice since his throat operation. He something along the lines of had he realised how long it would take for him to be able to sing again at all, he would never have had the op. I wonder if this is part of the reason for his change of tack.

Just how standard are these "standards", anyway? I bought the first album, and I didn't know any of them!
02-06-04 08:06 PM
gypsy I thought about buying tickets to Rod's concert as well...he plays OKC April 15...but then I remembered that I only like his stuff from the '70's...and I cannot see myself watching him perform "Forever Young" and not laugh.
02-06-04 10:12 PM
Martha Pam, you'll like the show..Rod CAN sing and very well, and he'll rock out for some of the show. I don't regret seeing him when I did. He is Rod Stewart, and that goes way back for me.

And.....If he does hook up with Ronnie..I'm all the way there!
02-06-04 11:33 PM
Steel Wheels I moved my bowels today and the smell was better than anything Rod has sung since 75. It was one of those "horse shits" that make you laugh while sitting on the bowel.

The stench was like a rainbow in the sky - a temporary phenomonon that lingered just on the outskirts of reasoning.

Rod's first album of standards are songs familiar to me...all sung much better by Francis Albert Sinatra.
02-06-04 11:40 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl My wife and my sister Luisa are more than happy of this news...
02-06-04 11:42 PM
Steel Wheels What? Of me moving my bowels in such a magical fashion?
02-06-04 11:43 PM
luridchief Martha is right--it's been a good while since I've seen him live (late 80s?), but he does put on a decent show.

I just haven't keep any of his studio work since TONIGHT I'M YOURS (1981)--and only about half the tracks on that are listenable.

The recently released, remastered REASON TO BELIEVE boxed set--containing his early Mercury albums--is a gem, though!
02-07-04 12:33 AM
parmeda Well folks...we'll see after the 20th.
I'll let you know how it goes
02-07-04 01:30 AM
Trey Krimsin "Who has that "Unplugged and Seated" CD Rod did with Ronnie???"

I used to, but I gave that CD and the Eric Clapton Unplugged CD away. I think I gave them to someone close to my family. It's been a few years ago, and I don't remember who exactly I gave them to.
02-07-04 12:36 PM
T&A Hannalee: you didn't know ANY of those songs? You been in a cave or something? Those are songs everyone should be at least familiar with if not know every word!

I love his standards albums. I love the standards...love Rod's voice...what's not to like?

Sure, I like his rock'n'roll stuff, of course. But, I don't consider it an either/or thing. He'll get back to doing some rock'n'roll--hopefully with Ronnie in tow. Meanwhile, let's just enjoy one of the true original voices of our generation. A lot of folks are doing or have recently done the standards thing - Dr. John, Boz Scaggs, Costello. None has done them as well or effortlessly as Rod. Give the man credit, for crissakes!

The Unplugged album is great - there were a couple of b-sides to singles that coulda made it even better - both featuring Ronnie - Sweet Little Rockn'roller and Gasoline Alley. I grafted them onto a cd-r to make the disc "whole."

02-07-04 04:11 PM
UGot2Rollme
quote:
Steel Wheels wrote:
I moved my bowels today and the smell was better than anything Rod has sung since 75. It was one of those "horse shits" that make you laugh while sitting on the bowel.

The stench was like a rainbow in the sky - a temporary phenomonon that lingered just on the outskirts of reasoning.

Rod's first album of standards are songs familiar to me...all sung much better by Francis Albert Sinatra.

SW: that was a very poetic, classic sh#t you took! I agree that Rod hasn't rocked in over 20 years and it's kind of a sad state that some of us are trying to decide whether or not to buy a ticket to his show or to stay at home. I'd chose the latter, unless he decides to loose some weight and tour with Woodie.
02-07-04 06:32 PM
Hannalee I tell a lie; I did know I'll be seeing you, I'd just like to be able to convince myself that I didn't in order to will away the feelings of acute nausea that it always induces. I definitely don't know any of the others - Rod says his parents used to listen to those things; mine didn't.

BEST VIEWED HIGH