ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

With Mari Ann Moller @ the premier of Roman Polanski's "Cul de Sac"
© 1966, 2002 Associated Newspapers Archives

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Ronnie Snubbed by Sultan Return to archive
02-05-04 02:55 AM
UGot2Rollme from the news wires.....

---------------------------
Rolling Stones rocker Ronnie Wood is furious the Sultan of Brunei refuses to take his phone calls - because the rich royal had commissioned him to paint his portrait.

The "Brown Sugar" hit maker, 56, was ready to fly to Bandar Seri Begawan to immortalize the Sultan on canvas, but his last minute phone calls to the palace to confirm his visit have not been returned. And now Wood is worried the large fee he expected to receive for the job has been withdrawn.

He says, "I thought we had a deal but now it all looks as if it's a bit on the rocks. As far as I was concerned, he said he wanted me to paint his portrait and I took him at his word but it's all gone very quiet and now he doesn't seem to be returning my calls."

"It has reached the point where I'm considering what my next project will be and I'm also thinking about setting up an academy for young artists from disadvantaged backgrounds. Obviously if the Sultan thing gets back on track, that would put me in the financial position to move ahead with that quicker."

Copyright World Entertainment News Network 2004

----------------
02-05-04 05:20 AM
FotiniD Pardon me, does Woody need the Sultan's fee to pay for his -any- endeavors, be it academy or anything?!?!

I mean, I have this image of the rock 'n' roll life, with the exotic villas and huge cars and taking planes to everywhere and all that... Does he really NEED the money?! Funny one.
02-05-04 05:26 AM
fmk438j 'Brown Sugar' hitmaker?

02-05-04 09:07 AM
sammy davis jr. I'll paint the Sultan's picture.....I'm sure Ron didn't wait until the last minute or anything. Now the guy's not interested- go figure.
02-05-04 06:23 PM
glencar The Sultan is a very busy man. He has to count his petrodollars.
02-05-04 10:13 PM
stonedinaustralia Fotini i know what you mean but i doubt ronnie is swimming in money like mick and keith

as ronnie's said before he's had to rely on his paintings for income when the band wasn't touring

sure he's a partner in "the firm" now and i doubt he wants for much but the real $$ in music comes from songwriting royalties which he doesn't have a lot of

[Edited by stonedinaustralia]
02-06-04 01:08 AM
Child of the Moon
quote:
fmk438j wrote:
'Brown Sugar' hitmaker?

I wondered about that myself...
02-06-04 04:12 PM
Gazza The Daily Express today published a retraction to this story as the Sultan had contacted them to confirm he had NOT commissioned Ronnie to do this portrait
02-06-04 04:13 PM
Strange_Stray_Cat Doesn't matter, Ronnie can do mine instead.

BEST VIEWED HIGH