ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

With Mari Ann Moller @ the premier of Roman Polanski's "Cul de Sac"
© 1966, 2002 Associated Newspapers Archives

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Keith's health Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4
02-04-04 07:52 PM
gotdablouse Lots of valid points about Ronnie's playing. Thinking about it a bit harder, I would indeed say that when I saw them in San Fran and Oakland in 2002, he was actually playing the guitar whereas in 95 and 97 he was just clowning around, barely touching the strings, which was deeply annoying. I guess that would indeed qualify as an improvement but unfortunately I'd say the end result is not that different due to his uninspired and unmemorable playing. He really doesn't add anything to the music at this point in the game.

As for the sound, it was much better in 1997, at the 80,000 seater Oakland Coliseum it was really superb! Strong, sharp. At the 40,000 Pacbell Park in SF in 2002,it was muddy and distant :-(
02-05-04 05:50 AM
Zeeta NankGazzaLJ etc

Quite correct about Ronald not being turned up - that's the thing even if he WAS playing his little boney ass off all night - I wouldn't fuckin' know either was as I can't hear the bastard!!!!

I told the sound man in his little caged booth at Manchester UK to "Fuckin turn Ronnie up" and he just told me tp sod off or something!?"?

Regardless, surely, surely Ronnie can hear just exactly *how* LOW he is in the mix and for fucks sake *tell* the sound people, *tell* Keith and fuckin Chucky Egg that he wants turning the FUCK up! LOUD REAL LOUD!

He is in the group he has a say, even if Keith tells him that he want to be louder, Ronnie sould fuck it, go behind Keith's back and personally have a serious word with the sound man/team before a show and say;

"Look you fukcin gimp/s - I can't hear me, they can't hear me. I wanna hear me! They wanna hear me...so you set of novices TURN ME UP or FUCK OFF OUT!"

I mean come on! He really should take on the responsibility himself.

Rant over...for now!
02-05-04 06:59 AM
UGot2Rollme The sound quality was probably the biggest dissapointment of the tour, for me. Zeeta, I was also at the Manchester show just a few feet away from the mixing board, and it was very difficult to hear Ronnie. Also, when they hit the B-stage the sound quality was similar to a muddy bootleg. In DC the sound was awful, too (unless you were on the floor) until the last 4 tunes that they cranked up so the rest of the stadium could hear them at rock n'roll levels.
02-05-04 08:23 AM
FotiniD You should have been at the San Siro gig!
I didn't get a chance to be in other Flicks gigs last year, but I don't think it gets any worse than that! (technical sound matters of course, cause I loved the Stones' performance).

From what I heard people saying that day, the stage was too big to fit in the stadium vertically (supposedly Meazza is relatively small?), so they had to put it horizontally (if you get the picture). That way the sound reached the other side of the stadium way too fast and hit on the tiers, getting this wooble effect that was just dreadful. Add to that the mix mistakes/problems and you get one perfect headache Also people sitting on the top tiers at one side of the stadium complained they couldn't almost hear them loud enough. Big sound problems that obiously need to be fixed, as said, if the greatest rock 'n' roll band can't afford the best sound, who can?

(But really, I can't complaint. I had such a Stones-cold turkey period before that this was like a gift from above and I was in heaven either way ).
[Edited by FotiniD]
[Edited by FotiniD]
02-05-04 08:26 AM
FotiniD Now, this is a wild thread. Starting from Keith's health, moving on to Ronnie's playing and now nagging about the sound Crazy mood-swings, all of us!
02-05-04 09:19 AM
negrita we need a new tour to start. Or another Dogshit in the Doorway, or, of course, the new Stones product. That will settle our mood-swings.
02-05-04 09:22 AM
LadyJane Hey Negrita!! Welcome! I couldn't agree with you more!!

LJ.
02-05-04 09:30 AM
FotiniD Right on Negrita. And welcome to the nuthouse
02-05-04 10:01 AM
Pattie
I just love dogshit in the doorway
02-05-04 10:01 AM
Pattie
the record I mean..
02-05-04 10:14 AM
Joey " the record I mean.. "

02-05-04 10:14 AM
FotiniD That's ok Pattie, we totally understand, nobody's perfect

Just kidding

(But seriously, put on Main Offender or Talk is Cheap and it'll soon pass )
02-05-04 10:15 AM
negrita That was funny Pattie.

I tend to like the record too. A bit over-produced, but once a Mick fan...........
02-06-04 01:24 AM
Taptrick I have this funny image of Keith's daughter attending an ALANON meeting. She begins to tell her story but hesitates, "I just don't think anyone can relate to what I have gone thru with my father's drinking and partying."
The regulars reassure her, "We understand. We've been there too..."
"No you don't understand, my father is different..."
"Our parents drank a lot too. We've been through some amazing times. We do understa..."
"My dad is Keith Richards..........."
Silence from the ALANON group.........till finally someone offers completely perplezed... "oh..."
"yeah your dad probably is al ittle different than ours"

[Edited by Taptrick]
02-09-04 06:32 PM
Cant Catch Me
Hell yeah, liquor’s good for you! Take it from a pro . . .

“I ain’t drunk, just drinkin.’”
02-09-04 07:02 PM
stonedinaustralia hey CCM great to see you back

i miss your minty fresh posts
02-09-04 08:13 PM
throbby "ditto"
[Edited by throbby]
Page: 1 2 3 4

BEST VIEWED HIGH