ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Keith/Billy Gibbons Return to archive
02-06-03 09:52 AM
Mathijs Does anyone knows the releation between Billy Gibbons and Keith? I know ZZ Top opened for the Stones in Honolulu in 1973, and on some 1975 and 1981 shows, and Keith said in a 1988 interview that ZZ Top and AC/DC were the only bands he could listen to at that moment, but does anyone know wheteher keith and Gibbons are friends?

Mathijs
02-06-03 09:58 AM
marko completely new to me,i�ve been stones fan since 1980,and been reading every damn magazine.I do know also that zz-top
warmed for stones in 73,75 and 1981.But i have no idea
about their friendship.Btw isn�t that guitar just beatifull
what keef just got from gibbons?!Mathy,,,do you know how it
sounds?
02-06-03 10:05 AM
steel driving hammer Marko was song you mentioned about Turrin 82/12th YCAGWYW?
I just totally skiped by it the day you told me to listen.

I'm sorry.

I'll listen to side 2 tonight of Turrin.

Thanks.
02-06-03 04:32 PM
telecaster
quote:
Mathijs wrote:
Does anyone knows the releation between Billy Gibbons and Keith? I know ZZ Top opened for the Stones in Honolulu in 1973, and on some 1975 and 1981 shows, and Keith said in a 1988 interview that ZZ Top and AC/DC were the only bands he could listen to at that moment, but does anyone know wheteher keith and Gibbons are friends?

Mathijs

I think they are casual friends. I saw ZZ Top with The
Stones in 81. LOUD. It was a great show.

Jimi Hendrix said Billy Gibbons was the best guitar player
he ever heard.
02-06-03 06:21 PM
woodywoodpecker yeah Billy, is a great guitarist but I don't know about the connection though" Id say Billy has a lot of respect for Mr. Riff.
02-07-03 04:12 AM
Mathijs >Jimi Hendrix said Billy Gibbons was the best guitar player
>he ever heard.

Is that possible? I am not really aware of all ZZ Top facts, but didn't ZZ Top start AFTER Jimi's death, and didn't it take until 1973 until ZZ Top got recognition all over the US?

Mathijs
02-07-03 04:23 AM
gypsymofo60 Well I have an interview with Keith 'Rollin' On' from '88 where he seems to give alot of praise to Guns n' Roses, so I doubt ZZTop were all he'd be listening to at the time.
02-07-03 04:58 AM
F505 Didn't know keith liked garden gnomes
02-07-03 07:08 AM
Mathijs Well, this bearded garden gnome can at least still play...

Mathijs
02-07-03 07:54 AM
egon
quote:
telecaster wrote:
Jimi Hendrix said Billy Gibbons was the best guitar player
he ever heard.

really?

don't get me wrong i like ZZ, but i always thought they
made quite 'simple' music.
02-07-03 09:35 AM
telecaster
quote:
Mathijs wrote:
>Jimi Hendrix said Billy Gibbons was the best guitar player
>he ever heard.

Is that possible? I am not really aware of all ZZ Top facts, but didn't ZZ Top start AFTER Jimi's death, and didn't it take until 1973 until ZZ Top got recognition all over the US?

Mathijs

I will try and dig up the info but Billy Gibbons played
in a blues band that played alot of the same shows/clubs
as Jimi. I think it was pre-ZZ Top days.
If I find it I will post it

02-07-03 12:41 PM
MR D don't know if jimi really said billy gibbons was the best
guitar player he ever heard but he liked him enough to give
him a pink stratocaster when billy and his band, the moving sidewalks,
were opening for jimi. I do like zz top but i think they
suck live cause their drummer ain't no charlie watts.
02-08-03 10:41 AM
padre Forget about everything ZZ TOP has done after the Deguello album. And that was in 1980. Everything they did up to that one are classic. Gibbons hadn't find his trademark tone he got in Eliminator (and couldn't get rid of ever since), so his playing is goddamn super! He really was one of the best bluesbased guitarists in the 70's. And Frank Beard was on fire, too. I really don't know what's happened to the man in the last 20 years. Do yourselves a favor and first get Deguello, then Tres Hombres, then Tejas, then Rio Grande Mud and First Album and then Fandango. You will not be dissappointed. And please avoid the Greatest Hits or anything from the videoage.
02-08-03 11:08 AM
gypsymofo60
quote:
padre wrote:
Forget about everything ZZ TOP has done after the Deguello album. And that was in 1980. Everything they did up to that one are classic. Gibbons hadn't find his trademark tone he got in Eliminator (and couldn't get rid of ever since), so his playing is goddamn super! He really was one of the best bluesbased guitarists in the 70's. And Frank Beard was on fire, too. I really don't know what's happened to the man in the last 20 years. Do yourselves a favor and first get Deguello, then Tres Hombres, then Tejas, then Rio Grande Mud and First Album and then Fandango. You will not be dissappointed. And please avoid the Greatest Hits or anything from the videoage.

Deguello, Tres Homres...good stuff! Gonna get me a pair of cheap sunglasses.
02-08-03 11:31 AM
Riffhard I don't remember where I read it,but in an old interview Keith said that he thought Billy Gibbons would be the most influential gutarist of the 70's. He went on and on in his praise for his style and his perfect tone. The man can flat out play that's for sure. Yeah,padre your dead right about the videoage stuff. All that was more about hotrods and hot bitches. Ofcourse there's nothing wrong with that either,but it certainly detracted from the music.

Riffhard
02-08-03 02:44 PM
telecaster
quote:
Riffhard wrote:
I don't remember where I read it,but in an old interview Keith said that he thought Billy Gibbons would be the most influential gutarist of the 70's. He went on and on in his praise for his style and his perfect tone. The man can flat out play that's for sure. Yeah,padre your dead right about the videoage stuff. All that was more about hotrods and hot bitches. Ofcourse there's nothing wrong with that either,but it certainly detracted from the music.

Riffhard

He can play that is for sure. They were GREAT with The Stones in Texas in 81 when I saw them. Video was good and then not good for ZZ.

Jesus Just Left Chicago, Just Got Paid, Nationwide, some
really, really good stuff.

They fell into the MTV thing and never recovered
02-08-03 04:36 PM
justforyou 'Loaded' from 1996's Rhythmeen packs a nice punch. Last year I was lucky enough to see them live - best parts of the show were Jesus Left Chicago, Balinese, Rough Boy and some slow bottleneck blues tune - hope they come back soon!
[Edited by justforyou]

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST