ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: you got me rocking is that worth? Return to archive Page: 1 2
02-07-03 04:47 PM
GimmeExile "Not Fade Away" was a great opener, with Mick popping up on stage from a trap door and Keith ripping that first chord.

But "Jumpin' Jack Flash" as opener at Tower is about as good as it gets!

[Edited by GimmeExile]
02-07-03 05:29 PM
Sir Stonesalot You Got Me Rocking was written, IMO, with an ear to being played in big arenas and stadiums. I mean, the Hey Hey thing was obviouly inserted for that reason. But the reason why so many of you have changed your minds about YGMR after seeing it on THIS tour is because the Stones are playing it with rabid abandon....and Ronnie is just RIPPING it up with that tasty slide part he plays.

You think YGMR was great as an opener, or on a B stage...you should have seen it at Roseland. Pinned my ears back but good.
[Edited by Sir Stonesalot]
02-07-03 05:36 PM
telecaster
quote:
luxury1 wrote:
Sir Douglas told me that Keith was the one who chose "You got me Rockin" as the opener--it is his tune.

Ever hear the boot of Keith singing the song?

Pretty funny
02-07-03 05:56 PM
StrangeStrayCat Great "Stonsey" chorus, love to hear Keith singing backup vocals! Really like the song and always have.
02-07-03 06:08 PM
Nasty Habits I thought it was a cynically written useless fist pumping piece of shit until I saw them play it in Philly on this tour, and saw the crowd reaction it gets. I remember seeing it at the Tower, being pissed that it was the second or third song, and then dropping my jaw at Keith's playing in the drum section in the middle and Ronnie's solo at the end. Now I know that it really is a fist pumping piece of shit, but a great one that the crowd really loves. I've got to hand it to them -- they have really sold that song on this tour. I don't need to hear it anywhere but in concert, but I now respect the fact that they've stuck with it and have turned it into a song the crowd really gets into at a show.
02-08-03 10:25 AM
padre
quote:
Mr T wrote:
because their trying to push that song as being their 'recent classic' - they don't wanna be strictly a warhorse band, but most of their recent songs aren't gonna draw big crowds. They want this to be their anthem for the past decade - and play it for the same reason they wrote Don't Stop. Why they aren't doing Mixed Emotions instead I don't know

Yeah, Mixed Emotions sounded live on 89-90 tour much better than on album. More gittars than on the too slick studio take.
If they wanted to keep a 'recent classic' on the set, the job would've been done better by Out Of Control.
YGMR is a good number, but I've always thought that the lyrics on the chorus are the weakest link on that one. "Hey hey hey you got me rocking now"...gimme a break. Sounds like some 80's glamband (Poison, Motley Crue, etc). With decent lyrics I think YGMR would stand along with Brown Sugar as a classic Stones rocker.
And a word about Love Is Strong. I think one reason why they don't do it live is because it's sung so low on the album that somehow it's hard for Mick to do it live. The same effect was on Anybody Seen My Baby's live takes. But Love Is Strong was the 'net choice' on Stones set in Finland on Bridges tour. Always loved that number. So did the crowd.
Page: 1 2

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST