ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: you got me rocking is that worth? Return to archive Page: 1 2
02-06-03 07:08 AM
elmolewis69 I never liked YGMR but this is personal taste, I know.
Anyway I find amazing that this unsignificant, repetitive and boring track is on the contrary a milestone in the last 10 yrs setlists.
On top, in 10 yrs they always played the same way, not a single variation of it. How can people like it?
Maybe there's something beyond this song which I don't know?
The question is: is this track representative of the group for the lyric or the groove or whatever?
I'm curious to verify the other opinions.
02-06-03 07:25 AM
Nellcote I had marginal interest in the tune, until I was witness to it's insertion as opener at the Fleet. I've now need to hear it daily. It kicks butt. Great way to lead off a show. Probably not a bad way to sell more 40 Licks units either.
02-06-03 10:01 AM
jb Extremely weak and almost arrogant of them to place this as a opener.....
02-06-03 10:29 AM
Nellcote Hey, JB. Get hit with a flying chad today or what?
You are on some tear....
Look, this is not '72 shows, where it was Brown Sugar or die. This is the mix it up, give 'em variety Stones.
02-06-03 10:32 AM
jb I understand..but if they want to use a number form VL, Love is Strong is much better....YGMR is a cheesy tune IMO...
02-06-03 10:44 AM
Nellcote Love is Strong is NOT an opening number, under any circumstances.
02-06-03 10:50 AM
jb Not as an opening #..but in the # 2 spot where YGMR has insipidy appeared as of late.
02-06-03 11:37 AM
luxury1 Sir Douglas told me that Keith was the one who chose "You got me Rockin" as the opener--it is his tune.
02-06-03 11:40 AM
Nellcote Sir Douglas is not to be questioned.
He is the real deal...
02-06-03 07:19 PM
Child of the Moon I was never really sold on the song either until I saw 'em do it on the small stage in Tacoma. Tacoma was an "on" night, anyway, but when they did that song, they completely changed my view of YGMR. I agree w/ Nellcote - I find myself cranking it more and more every time I hear it.

Really, nothing can beat the vision of 20,000 fists pounding their ways into the air at the mere call of "Hey! Hey! You got me rocking now!" THAT'S crowd control!
02-06-03 07:34 PM
~AzQb

............ahhhhhhhhhh....knowing i'm in the distinct minority here, i will regardless venture the fact that i adore this tune not only for its relative swing, but also for its "chin up shut up" lyrics.

I mean, come on..."i was a hooker losing er looks...i was a writer...can't write another book"[!] bloody fantastic--"i was down...down...down...BUT YOU GOT ME RAWKIN NOW!"

So hooey phooey get all gooey on ya who don't dig it-- look at it from THeIr perspective-- and maybe you'll catch a glimpse~

!~
02-06-03 07:48 PM
Riffhard Yeah I too kinda thought YGMR was a bit weak. Then I saw them pull it out on the B-stage at Giants and my whole attitude on it changed. They tore it up that night. I'm sure many here will agree,as so many from this board were present. To date that Giants show was the best I've ever seen them at a stadium show. Keith was so on that night. He pulled some riffs straight from from his gut all night long.Street Fighting Man keeps coming back to me as pure jaw dropping Keef from that night!

Riffhard
[Edited by Riffhard]
02-06-03 07:57 PM
gypsy I like the song. Yeah, I thought it was kind of odd as an opener at first. But, it grows on you. I love the lyrics...I love that it is a Keith song. It sums up the whole tour really.
02-06-03 08:03 PM
Boomhauer I like the song. Nothing wrong with it.............Damn!

Nevermind
[Edited by Boomhauer]
02-06-03 10:11 PM
Gimme Shelter I agree, "You Got Me Rocking" Rocks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
02-06-03 10:12 PM
exile have the stones actually done "Love is Strong" Live?
i cant remember it from Voodoo lounge tour havent seen it on any setlists this time eithier
02-06-03 10:18 PM
Gimme Shelter Yes, they played it live several times on the Voodoo Lounge tour.
02-06-03 10:53 PM
MP It was certainly a great opener at the Fleet
02-06-03 11:29 PM
souldoggie I've always loved the song. Great riff. And I always felt it should of been the lead single off Voodoo Lounge.

Having said that though, I always get a kick out of one line that, to my mind, just isn't quite right. No, forget that, it's just plain wrong. I mean Mick got the sport right, baseball, but "...a pitcher down in a slump..."??? Pitchers are never down in a slump, hitters are in a slump. Oh well, he is British, so he gets a pass.
02-07-03 01:07 AM
Highwire Rob You Got Me Rockin�

Tribal Beats!!!! Great tune to get a fresh concert crowd fired up from the first rolling thunder. Keef gettin� all Jamaican mud paint and braids on us...

Charlie goin� cannibalistic on the drums!!
[Edited by Highwire Rob]
02-07-03 02:55 AM
dealer squealing I totally agree! YGMR is a boring song to say at least,
of all those songs they have why overplay this song!!
Why not open with 19 Nervous breakdown??
Or Lets spend the night together?
02-07-03 04:16 AM
gypsymofo60 Someone said YGMR shoulda bin the first single on, or should I say off VL.....ABSO(fucking)LUTELY!!!!!!!!!! Love Is Strong is a good song, but the very reason Tattoo You sold so well in '81, is because Start Me Up was chosen as the kick-off single- shrewd move, gets punters, not just fans interested. It's got that Whoooooooooah! wake up, whats that riff. Everytime The Stones have introduced an album with one of those great Keef Riffs the album sells like crazy........I think it gets me rockin'! HEY-HEY!
02-07-03 05:16 AM
elmolewis69 Tks for all yr comments. I will try to digest this song and listen to it less skeptical than before.
This topic of the opening act is extremely interesting. I will open another discussion on it.
Tks again.

02-07-03 07:40 AM
egon u got me rocking sucks???

WHAT THE FUCK??!!

i love that song.

especially on no security.
02-07-03 08:32 AM
gypsy Who suggested "Love is Strong" as the lead song for the tour? THAT would totally suck.
02-07-03 09:07 AM
Mr T because their trying to push that song as being their 'recent classic' - they don't wanna be strictly a warhorse band, but most of their recent songs aren't gonna draw big crowds. They want this to be their anthem for the past decade - and play it for the same reason they wrote Don't Stop. Why they aren't doing Mixed Emotions instead I don't know
02-07-03 01:52 PM
winter I actually think Love is Strong would be good opener - not a wack you in the mouth opener, more like Not Fade Away on the VL Tour. Keith's intro is classic Keith.

As for "openers" - the Lead in Video/Mix that opened the No Security Shows is my favorite - I don't think the intros on this tour compare at all. The footage of the four of them strutting back stage - bam JJF, Mick with sunglasses - perfect! I don't know how they'll ever beat that one. This tour's lead in is too quick, it doesn't give enough time for the anticipation to grow before they hit the stage -
02-07-03 02:09 PM
Highwire Rob Personally, I can't see how the Stones�or any band, for that matter�will ever top the Steel Wheels/Urban Jungle DEFINITIVE Rock Opener:

Continental Drift intro leading in to CANNON BLAST leading in to Start Me Up!!!!

(I always imagine Charlie lighting a real cannon fuse on that one! LOL)
02-07-03 04:01 PM
Stones Fan, Gar to me,YGMR is like Don't Stop. A good song but much better live. YGMR is a great live song. That killer drum solo in the middle just hammers that song home for me.
02-07-03 04:10 PM
Street Fighting Man Continential Drift leading into Start Me Up was a rush! Then again, I also liked Jumping Jack Flash, and of course, Street Fighting Man!

Not Fade Away was a little lame in terms of generating crowd excitement, but was cool in terms of making a statement about the Stones longevity!
Page: 1 2

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST