ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Main Offender Return to archive
02-05-03 06:05 PM
exile Im listening to "Main Offender" by KR & x Pensive Wino's
just wondering about your opinions on this album
02-05-03 06:52 PM
Jair Motta Everytime I listen this record i simply cant stop to sing Hate When You Leave...
02-05-03 07:47 PM
Mottrush Love it!! But I still prefer "Talk Is Cheap"

02-05-03 08:05 PM
Highwire Rob Yes! Not go�nna happen but I wish Keith would pull some MAIN OFFENDER licks out for the Stones Tour. Eileen is my favorite all-time Keith song. Yep, that album and Mick�s WANDERING SPIRIT mix well in my CD tray of Stones albums.

Re TALK IS CHEAP: MTV ran the video for Take It So Hard on one of their early morning shows a few weeks back. One of the rare occasions Music Television actually plays decent music! I had never seen that video--I loved it. A grainy textured Keith and Winos playing in a dried-out seabed of submarine wreckage! It�s so cool with the sound of his classic riffage.

Who is the thin guitarist with the long blond hair? Is he a regular with the Winos. Where does he play when not playing with Keith?

--Rob.
[Edited by Highwire Rob]
02-05-03 08:12 PM
gypsymofo60
quote:
Highwire Rob wrote:

Who is the thin guitarist with the long blond hair? Is he a regular with the Winos. Where does he play when not playing with Keith?

--Rob.
[Edited by Highwire Rob]

That's Waddy Wachtel, he usually organises Stevie Nicks panty collection.
02-05-03 08:16 PM
exile I think you are talking about Waddy Wachtel
the dude with the buck teeth
excellent musician

what do you all think about Keith's Jamacian accent on "Words of Wonder"
quite funny i thought and a really nice song
02-05-03 08:17 PM
Highwire Rob
quote:
gypsymofo60 wrote:
That's Waddy Wachtel, he usually organises Stevie Nicks panty collection.

LOL
02-05-03 09:41 PM
VirginiaMonkeyMan The single of Eileen has a wicked live version of Gimme Shelter with Keith on vocals!
02-05-03 09:44 PM
Gimme Shelter I got to see Keith on the Main Offender Tour at the Paramount theater in Seattle. It was a great show.
02-05-03 09:46 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy I love "Wicked As It Seems", "999", "Hate It When You Leave", and "Words Of Wonder". "Words Of Wonder"... heheh... with the fake accent... but it's *good*. Like "Far Away Eyes".

-tSYX --- Well the preacher kept right awn sayin'...
02-06-03 07:52 AM
lucasd4 MAIN OFFENDER is a great album....it contains many of Keith's best riffs of the past 20 years.....999, Wicked, Eileen, Running Too Deep, Will But You Won't all kick ass....the guitar sound is incredible....the best Keith tone since SOME GIRLS....if only recent Stones albums sounded this good....
02-06-03 08:19 AM
no_cole_porter Personally I find Demon to be one of the best songs on the whole album. The video for Wicked As It Seems is really well...Wicked. It's got a nice array of nutty people in it.
02-06-03 09:40 AM
Mathijs It has always amazed me that on Main Offender and the following tour Keith had such a brilliant guitar sound. Especially on the live shows (listen to Boston, Toronto and Argentina) his guitar sound was so raw, thick, hard-driving and aggressive (in some ways reminiscent of his 1973-tour sound!). But only one year later during the Voodoo Lounge tour, Keith was virtually absent from the mix, and when he was a little up in the mix he had this overly clean sound.

Why did keith let that happen?

Mathijs
02-06-03 12:20 PM
padre
quote:
no_cole_porter wrote:
The video for Wicked As It Seems is really well...Wicked. It's got a nice array of nutty people in it.

Damn right about that! I think it's the best promo The Stones have produced together or separately. The video matches the song's mood perfectly.
Main Offender has some great moments and Wandering Spirit is one helluva album, too. BUT imagine this: without them we would've gotten a STONES album with this kinda tracklisting:

Wired All Night
Wicked As It Seems (Mick vocals)
Mother of a Man
Out Of Focus
Eileen (keith vocals)
Don't Tear Me Up
Knock Yer Teeth Out (from Ronnie's Slide On This. Mick voc)
999 (Mick vocals)
Wandering Spirit
Put Me In The Trash
Evening Gown
Hate It When You Leave (Keith vocals)

Now how about that for an album???!!!!!
02-06-03 01:50 PM
Child of the Moon
quote:
padre wrote:
BUT imagine this: without them we would've gotten a STONES album with this kinda tracklisting:

Wired All Night
Wicked As It Seems (Mick vocals)
Mother of a Man
Out Of Focus
Eileen (keith vocals)
Don't Tear Me Up
Knock Yer Teeth Out (from Ronnie's Slide On This. Mick voc)
999 (Mick vocals)
Wandering Spirit
Put Me In The Trash
Evening Gown
Hate It When You Leave (Keith vocals)

Now how about that for an album???!!!!!

Shit, you're right! That would have been incredible! Although, I'd have to include Handsome Molly somewhere, at least as a non-album B-side.
02-06-03 02:15 PM
sandrew Mathijs, I've wondered the same thing. I was listening to the Hollywood Palladium album the other day and thought how good CYHMK would sound today if he used the open G-tuned E-335 (?) he used on "Take It So Hard" and "How I Wish."

The Tele sounds so toothless during the intro to CYHMK ...

I miss those Ernie Balls that Ronnie and Keith were using on the '89 tour. Ronnie's leads sounded so much better when he actually had some good-sounding overdrive and sustain. Remember how good he sounded on "Undercover of the Night" in Atlantic City? Now he sounds so thin and trebly, especially on the B-stage.

I remember a Keith lead, also with the white Ernie Ball, on "It's Only Rock 'n' Roll" from a concert in Germany that was broadcast on the American Music Awards in 1990 -- one of the best I've ever seen him do in a live situation. (That's also my favorite version of IORR. Charlie had the meanest high-hat swing going towards the end of the song. He's got one of the best left feet in rock and roll.)

I'm beginning to think they were at one of the tightest periods of their career on that '90 Urban Jungle tour of Europe. They still had Wyman; they were in their late '40s, fresh off solo tours that had sharpened their chops. Plus, they were playing about a half-hour longer than they do today.

A lot of people aren't fans of the '89-90 period. (I'm no fan of the synth-jockey, Matt Clifford, either.) What do you all think?
[Edited by sandrew]
02-06-03 05:39 PM
Child of the Moon Personally, I think Steels Wheels/Urban Jungle WAS their last tour during which they were a tight, effective unit - not just a group, but a BAND. Plus, their song selection was impeccable (songs played for the first time in 20-25 years, Midnight Rambler making its triumphant return, plus some excellent choices off of Steel Wheels), the stages were glorious (if only for the big dogs that ate Mick), and it was really just a great return to form for the Stones. I'm no Matt Clifford fan either - I much prefer (shudder) Chuck Leavell - but at least the band gelled every 9 out of 10 nights or so, which is more than I can say for the Licks tour. Don't get me wrong, I think Licks has been wonderful. But it's also been inconsistent. I was lucky enought o see them on an "on" night (Tacoma), but I've heard stories and have seen footage of "off" nights, too (HBO broadcast, mostly).

I do quite miss the tightness of the Steel Wheels days. Keith could still play some mean licks on most songs. Now he is, sorry to say, coasting a bit. But back then, he was still very much the Master of the Riff.
[Edited by Child of the Moon]
02-06-03 06:08 PM
Honky Tonk Man This is Great! Guys who agree with me about Steel Wheels and Urban Jungle. To put it as mildley as i can, Keith was fucking HOT on those tours. If you too young to of seen them live at the time, just watch the "At The Max" video. Keith is brilliant!

Keith was a better guitarist then. He was younger, fitter and a little quiker with the finger-picking

Alex
02-06-03 07:11 PM
Child of the Moon
quote:
no_cole_porter wrote:
Personally I find Demon to be one of the best songs on the whole album. The video for Wicked As It Seems is really well...Wicked. It's got a nice array of nutty people in it.

Wow, I totally can't believe I forgot my favorite song on the album, bar Eileen! I listen to Demon whenever I'm feeling really down and dejected - it's like there's someone out there who "knows," y'know? That's how the Stones have always been for me.

Keith Richards: Writing the soundtrack to my life, day by day.
02-06-03 09:46 PM
J.J.Flash Simply 999 drive me nuts every time I hear it! What a fuckin' hard song, heavy work on guitars guys, fuckin' loud, fuckin' agressive.
Don't forget boys, this fuckin' man is the king of riff! "Keef riff hard"! You know!
Eileen, quite impressive, so self-confident, Demon, so smooth, Wicked, well, Wicked comes from the deep of Keith's soul. I love this album!
Keep Rockin'!
02-06-03 09:48 PM
J.J.Flash Child, you wrote: "Keith Richards: Writing the soundtrack to my life, day by day."
So, I feel the same as you man! Thanks for the words! Take care!
02-06-03 09:52 PM
no_cole_porter Keith was using an Gibson L5-S on Take It So Hard and Whip It Up on the Live At The Hollywood Palladium during the Talk Is Cheap tour instead of a ES-355 which he's using now for Gimme Shelter or Sympathy.
02-06-03 09:55 PM
no_cole_porter I'd also like to add I really enjoyed the HBO Licks performance, but my only problem was Keith. Now please, Don't get me wrong, I love the man, But instead of driving a lot of the songs, he just played odd bends instead of the driving riffs. The string bends just made no sense, the first time I saw him do that was during Dead Flowers at the Willie Nelson Stars and Guitars special. Now come on Keef, The bands tight so get with it baby!
02-07-03 08:08 AM
egon
quote:
exile wrote:
just wondering about your opinions on this album

fan-fuckin'-tastic album! great from start to finish.

though must confess i tend to skip words of wonder.
02-07-03 10:50 AM
Street Fighting Man Personally, I'd always hoped that Keith would fit in another solo tour between the Stones juggernut tours. I saw Keith + The Winos in 1988 on the Talk Is Cheap tour and thought the concert was teriffic. The story is my friend + I were driving around in NYC, and heart Keith and the his band warming up on "Take It So Hard." The DJ (102.7 FM NY?) let them play almost the whole song on the air live, and was finally like, "Ok, we've got to cut out of hear or I'm going to get in trouble!" So he immediately switchs to the album version of "Take It So Hard," mentioning that Keith was playing at the Meadowlands that night and tickets were still available. That's all we had to hear - drove right there, bought tickets and enjoyed the show to the max. I did anyway, my friend left mid-concert to go out to get something. Ah, memories, got to love 'em!

BTW, Favorite Keith song is "Hate It When You Leave" - get's me right in the heart everytime!
02-07-03 03:47 PM
Stones Fan, Gar Best song on that album 999, love that hard driving song! Had a friend who wasn't really into the Stones, and he asked me why people were so high on Keith, I played 999 for him, question answered. Also, the first time I heard the album, I remember how cool, Hate When You Leave sounded, sort of a Motown tribute.
02-07-03 06:03 PM
Saint Sway best concerts I've ever seen have all been Wino shows. I'll take Keith and the Wino's over the Stones anyday

Talk & Offender are the best albums to come out of the Stones camp since the 70s

I recently bought the "Live At The Hollywood Palladium" DVD and have been watching constantly. Vintage Keef - best guitar sound in years - filthy, filthy, filthy!

heres what the Winos are doin currently:

for anyone in LA, Waddy Wachtel, Babbi Floyd & friends have a regular weekly gig at the Joint (I think). Keith & Bernard recently sat in with them

Charley Drayton has a new side band called Peaceful Kneival. It includes members of Black Crowes, Lenny Kravitz band and the singer from Screemin Cheetah Wheelies. They do all kinds of funk, blues & soul covers. THEY ARE BAD ASS LIVE!! Funnest band to see. Charley plays drums. He's been drummin with just about everybody these days. His playing is INSANE!

Ivan Neville has been touring with the Neville Bros

Steve Jordan was the 'musical director' this past week for the all-star blues tribute that Scorcese is producing (Sort of his blues version of Last Waltz). Steve also orchestrated a Rain Forest benefit last year that Keef played on. He did Running Too Deep, Key To The Highway and Happy
02-08-03 01:08 PM
egon does anyone have the japanese version of offender?
i saw it once and it had one exra song on it.
could have been key to the highway or the harder they come.
who can tell me?

cheers & nice w/e
02-09-03 04:09 PM
Saint Sway can anyone tell me how I can post pics here?

I wanna post a photo of Charley Draytons "Peaceful Kneival" playing at the Beacon Theatre on New Years
02-10-03 09:37 AM
Maxlugar I am in the camp that Main Offender is better than Talk is Cheap.

More feeling there.

Hate it When You Leave is a classic.

Too bad Wandering Spirt and this album were not combined for one giant Stones hit!

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST