ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

© Tony Gale with thanks to Gypsy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: RIP Frankie Laine Return to archive
7th February 2007 08:15 PM
Nellcote Crooner Frankie Laine dies at 93

Frankie Laine was one of the leading pre-rock 'n' roll performers
Veteran singer Frankie Laine has died in a California hospital aged 93 after suffering a heart attack following hip replacement surgery.
He was one of the most popular singers of the late 1940s and 1950s before rock 'n' roll put him in the shade.

His hits include Jezebel, I Believe, and the theme from television Western series Rawhide.

"He was one of the greatest singers, one of the last Italian crooner types," said his producer Jimmy Marino.

He gave his last public performance little more than a year ago, singing his first big hit That's My Desire on a TV show.

Born Frank LoVecchio, he was the son of a barber who moved to the United States from Sicily.

He struggled to earn a living until he was in his 30s. He had his first hit in 1947, after jazz musician Hoagy Carmichael enthused about his performance in a Los Angeles nightclub.

"Ten years is a good stretch of scuffling," Laine later said. "But I scuffled for 17 years before it happened, and 17 is a bit much."

Country covers

Laine carried on performing until shortly before his death
In a career lasting four decades, Laine achieved 21 gold records, and sold about 250 million albums.

Among his other hits were Mule Train, Cool Water, Granada and That Lucky Old Sun.

He holds a UK singles chart record for the most weeks at number one with one song, with I Believe topping the chart for 18 weeks in three spells during the spring and summer of 1953.

Laine enjoyed two other number one hits later that year, Hey Joe, and Answer Me, giving him 27 weeks at the top of the chart in 1953.

He had a further chart-topper in 1956, A Woman In Love.

As well as Rawhide, he sang the theme to Mel Brooks' parody 1974 Western movie, Blazing Saddles.

He also covered songs by country singers, including Hank Williams' classics Hey Good Lookin' and Your Cheatin' Heart.

Laine's family said he would be remembered for the beautiful music he brought into the world, his wit and his sense of humour.

7th February 2007 08:50 PM
fireontheplatter i don't know who this guy is.
rip
7th February 2007 09:20 PM
*ginda RIP Frankie. I hope you're hell bent for Heaven. I remember listening to him on the radio as a child singing Cool Water. He also sang the theme from High Noon (Do Not Forsake Me). His voice had the same sharp edge to it that Gene Pitney's did. I remember thinking it was Laine the first time I heard the theme from The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance - it turned out to be Pitney.
7th February 2007 09:28 PM
Nellcote Another Frankie Laine number, by The Man In Black...

7th February 2007 09:34 PM
Nellcote And an other of his songs, by a Brit band..

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)