ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

© Tony Gale with thanks to Gypsy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: New Patti Smith album (SSC) Return to archive
7th February 2007 08:44 AM
Gazza Columbia Records Announces The Release of 'Twelve,' an Album of Classic Songs Newly Interpreted By 2007 Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame Inductee Patti Smith

Columbia Records will release Twelve, the eagerly-anticipated album of "cover" versions of classic popular songs newly interpreted by the 2007 Rock & Roll Hall of Fame inductee Patti Smith, on Tuesday, April 17.

Twelve is Patti Smith's first album of new studio recordings since trampin', her Columbia Records debut, was released in 2004, and is the artist's first-ever full-length collection of songs originally created by other performers.

On Twelve, Patti Smith and her band -- Lenny Kaye (guitar), Jay Dee Daugherty (drums) and Tony Shanahan (bass, keyboards) -- work their magic on a surprising selection of classic songs and overlooked treasures from the rock & roll canon including "Pastime Paradise" by Stevie Wonder, "Everybody Wants To Rule The World" by Tears for Fears and "Helpless" by Neil Young. Also on Twelve, Smith and company interpret songs by Jimi Hendrix, Bob Dylan, the Doors, Nirvana, Jefferson Airplane, the Beatles, the Rolling Stones, the Allman Brothers, and Paul Simon.

An assortment of guest artists appear with Patti on Twelve including Italian cellist Giovanni Sollima; playwright Sam Shepard (with whom Patti collaborated on "Cowboy Mouth" in 1971) on banjo; early 60s Greenwich Village folk artists John Cohen (banjo) and Peter Stampfel (fiddle); Red Hot Chili Peppers' bassist Flea; Television guitarist Tom Verlaine; the Black Crowes' Rich Robinson on slide guitar and dulcimer; and hip-hop producer Luis Resto (Eminem) on keyboards. Patti's son, Jackson, and daughter, Jesse, are on-hand to contribute guitar and vocal respectively.

Patti Smith, whose seminal rock & roll album, Horses, was released in 1975, was presented with the prestigious insignia of Commander of the Order of the Arts and Letters by French Cultural Minister Renaud Donnedieu de Vabres at a ceremony in Paris on July 10, 2005. Cited as an esteemed rock & roll poet laureate, Patti was praised by the French Cultural Ministry as "one of the most influential artists in women's rock 'n' roll." The citation also noted Smith's deep appreciation of the 19th century French poet Arthur Rimbaud.

She was recently named one of the five inductees in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame's Class of 2007 along with R.E.M., Van Halen, the Ronettes, and Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five. Patti Smith will be officially inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame during a ceremony at New York's Waldorf-Astoria Hotel on March 12. "It's a great honor to be inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame," said Smith.

While her groundbreaking vision of "three chord rock merged with the power of the word" has ensured her place in rock & roll history, Patti Smith has, throughout her career, developed a reputation as one of pop music's foremost interpreters, visiting the songs of other musical artists and transforming them through the lens of her own understanding, appreciation and imagination. Beginning with her first single, "Hey Joe," in 1974 and her extrapolations of Van Morrison's "Gloria" and Chris Kenner's "Land of 1,000 Dances" on her seminal Horses album in 1975 through her live performances of songs ranging from "You Light Up My Life" to "My Generation" to her new album, Twelve, Patti Smith continues to reshape popular music's classic source materials and make them her own.

http://www.pattismith.net/

http://www.columbiarecords.com/

[Edited by Gazza]
7th February 2007 08:52 AM
lotsajizz I see her in a couple of weeks at Lupo's in Providence as she opens her American Tour. I have long worshiped her and it will be such a treat to see her live. Her newer material is as good as ever, if not better.
7th February 2007 08:54 AM
charlotte good post g-man, this sounds promising! wonder about the rest of the song list....?
7th February 2007 08:58 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Can't wait! Patti is the Keith Richards of women in rock...
7th February 2007 08:59 AM
charlotte no doubt Voodoo, no doubt.......
7th February 2007 09:01 AM
Gazza
quote:
lotsajizz wrote:
I see her in a couple of weeks at Lupo's in Providence as she opens her American Tour. I have long worshiped her and it will be such a treat to see her live. Her newer material is as good as ever, if not better.

she's played here twice in the last 4 years. Once just with Oliver Ray and the second time with the band. Both shows were terrific. Definitely worth going to see if anyone is even remotely considering it.

I notice she's playing the Stone Pony in Asbury Park just after the Providence gig....hmmm
[Edited by Gazza]
7th February 2007 09:04 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl My guess is that the Stones' cover will be "Paint it Black"; her cover of my generation, especially live is by far the best cover of that song I've ever heard
7th February 2007 10:47 AM
GotToRollMe Just reading that article makes me wanna get off my ass and go see her this time around. It's been too long. Thanks Gazza.
7th February 2007 11:05 AM
Gazza
quote:
GotToRollMe wrote:
Just reading that article makes me wanna get off my ass and go see her this time around. It's been too long. Thanks Gazza.

February 23 New Haven, CT Toad's Place
February 24 Asbury Park, NJ Stone Pony

tickets are only $25!
7th February 2007 11:14 AM
Saint Sway heres some cool pics of Patti performing with Rich Robinson's band a few weeks ago at Bowery Ballroom in NYC

Rich is doing another show with special guests on my birthday on March 17th at Irving Plaza and has asked Patti to sit in again. Hopefully her schedule allows for it. She was great. Of course I'm hoping this time they'll do Gimme Shelter....

7th February 2007 11:19 AM
GotToRollMe
quote:
Gazza wrote:

February 23 New Haven, CT Toad's Place
February 24 Asbury Park, NJ Stone Pony

tickets are only $25!

7th February 2007 11:24 AM
GotToRollMe
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
heres some cool pics of Patti performing with Rich Robinson's band a few weeks ago at Bowery Ballroom in NYC

Rich is doing another show with special guests on my birthday on March 17th at Irving Plaza and has asked Patti to sit in again. Hopefully her schedule allows for it. She was great. Of course I'm hoping this time they'll do Gimme Shelter....

Nice pics, Sway, thanks! That should be a nice birthday/St. Patrick's Day celebration for ya.
7th February 2007 12:32 PM
gimmekeef Didnt know Iggy grew his hair back.....
7th February 2007 12:38 PM
SheRat No word on dates out by me yet. Grrrr.

She talked to me from the stage once when I saw her at the Warfield. It was way cool.
7th February 2007 12:39 PM
pdog Great idea for an album...
7th February 2007 12:45 PM
monkey_man I have some good boots of her local performances.
7th February 2007 01:10 PM
lotsajizz Patti is a goddess and I intend to set up right in front of her (Lupo's let's you get CLOSE!) and worship at her feet all the night of the 22nd!

8th February 2007 12:31 AM
Brainbell Jangler
quote:
VoodooChileInWOnderl wrote:
Patti is the Keith Richards of women in rock...

So true. She's also a serious Stones fan,by which I mean someone who not only digs the band but has actually thought about their significance. Her essay,"Jag-Ahr of the Jungle," which is published in David Dalton's "The Rolling Stones: The First Twenty Years," is a classic. Here's a snippet:
"Ya never think of the Stones as fags. In full make-up and frills they still get it across. they know just how to ram a woman. they made me real proud to be female. the other half of male. they aroused in me both a feline sense of power and a longing to be held under the thumb."
8th February 2007 08:16 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
quote:
SheRat wrote:

She talked to me from the stage once when I saw her at the Warfield. It was way cool.

Great you met her, abd great picture, she's wearing a Keith Richards tee, this is another picture wearing the same

8th February 2007 08:45 AM
GotToRollMe
quote:
Gazza wrote:

That's a really lovely photo of her Gazza, thanks. SheRat and Voodoo, I love the photos with the Keith shirt and Dylan too. I'm a huge fan of hers. I had the good fortune to meet her back in the '70s, and still have a signed copy of her first single. I went to a bunch of her shows between 1974-1978, including a Bottom Line gig in '76 where she read from a book of poetry that I'd given her. Those were some good times and some great shows. I have a bunch of photos from all those gigs but they're on slides, so I have to convert them somehow and upload them here one of these days. If she's touring I'm sure she'll hit Manhattan...I'm gonna be there this time, by hook or crook.
8th February 2007 09:05 AM
Gazza here's the review I did at the time of the Belfast show from 2003

http://www.novogate.com/board/968/Archives/05%2D17%2D2003/152865-1.html
8th February 2007 09:19 AM
GotToRollMe Wow, what a great review, Gazza, thanks! She really has a gift for engaging the audience. I remember that poem about her dream of Dylan's dog, and one about Dylan's bird too...lol...That's one of the things I love about her - she's a great storyteller and cracks some good jokes too. You never know what you're gonna get at a Patti show, but you'll never be bored, that's for sure!

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)