ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

© Tony Gale with thanks to Gypsy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Model Obermaier Recalls Squats, Drugs, Flings With the Stones Return to archive
7th February 2007 06:38 AM
Ten Thousand Motels Model Obermaier Recalls Squats, Drugs, Flings With the Stones

By David Henry

Feb. 7 (Bloomberg) -- Almost four decades have passed since a photographer discovered Uschi Obermaier in a Munich street.

Now 60, the one-time pin-up girl chronicles her life and loves -- who included both Rolling Stones guitarist Keith Richards and singer Mick Jagger -- in ``High Times: Mein wildes Leben'' (``High Times: My Wild Life''). Her entertaining book, published last month, is in fifth position on Spiegel magazine's non-fiction bestseller list. A feature film based on the autobiography, co- written with Olaf Kraemer, opened in German cinemas on Feb. 1.

Obermaier rose to prominence as a member of Kommune Eins, a group of political activists living together in the loft of a Berlin warehouse. With boyfriend Rainer Langhans, she became a symbol of the generation of 1968, a time of radical social upheaval and frequent run-ins with police. Obermaier confessed to having little interest in the polemical discussions of the day, preferring to pursue her own dreams.

``I wish today's young people would go where their heart is,'' she said in an interview during a book-promoting session at Berlin's KaDeWe department store, where she was besieged by autograph-hunting fans. ``It's not easy, but they will lead a happy life. I'm 60 and I know what I'm talking about. Believe in your dreams.''

The book captures the litany of excesses that became synonymous with Obermaier's generation. She portrays herself as the victim of a conservative Bavarian upbringing, emerging as a survivor of the lifestyles adopted by the men who surrounded her.

Squabbling Stones

Obermaier's sultry looks caught the eye of many rock stars, including Jimi Hendrix, with whom she had a short affair. Richards and Jagger squabbled over the German beauty after the Rolling Stones songwriters raced each other to her Munich apartment from a concert in Zurich in the early 1970s. Italian film director Carlo Ponti was so enchanted that he offered her a 10-year movie contract.

An affair with Richards ended as he slid further into drug addiction and reclusion in hotel rooms. ``It quickly became clear to me that the reason for his withdrawn existence was heroin,'' she said in the book. Although Obermaier also took drugs, she never became addicted, citing vanity as a reason.

She turned her back on modeling and the high life to roam the world with Dieter Bockhorn, a cafe owner in Hamburg's red-light district, a globetrotter and a heroin user.

On the Road

Using a converted bus, the couple spent the next 10 years on the road in Asia, the U.S. and Mexico. Bockhorn died in a motorcycle crash on New Year's Eve in 1983.

Obermaier is now a U.S. citizen and lives in the hills near Los Angeles, where she works as a jewelry designer.

``Now at my age, I think young women should have hope that it's not over when you get older,'' she said in the interview. ``I'm a good example of that. I like to give them hope.''

``High Times'' is published in German by Wilhelm Heyne Verlag and costs 14 euros. The film is showing in more than 100 German cities.

(David Henry is an editor for Bloomberg News. The opinions expressed are his own.)

To contact the reporter on this story: David Henry in Frankfurt at [email protected] .

Last Updated: February 7, 2007 00:15 EST
7th February 2007 06:59 AM
new faces

7th February 2007 03:47 PM
Saint Sway Another Groupie Kiss N Tell book.
People are getting old and getting desperate or thinking they ought to be despararte. The clock is ticking. Cash in while you can. I would.
8th February 2007 12:46 AM
Brainbell Jangler
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
Another Groupie Kiss N Tell book.
People are getting old and getting desperate or thinking they ought to be despararte. The clock is ticking. Cash in while you can. I would.

OK, if that's all you see.

[Edited by Brainbell Jangler]
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)