ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Pirámide del Sol - Teotihuacan, México Febrero de 1998
© Sergio Mimbrera
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Hyde Park 28.8.05 - more rumours!! Return to archive
February 4th, 2005 08:53 PM
Gazza I realise Muddy started a thread about this rumoured event a week ago ( http://www.novogate.com/board/968/207960-1.html ) and, like many others, I found it incredulous, but finally here's a link to the story itself which suggests it may not be as far-fetched as it seems...

Taking the date into account and the strong talk (by Bill German) of a US tour start date around Labor Day (early September), who knows - could this be a one off European show as a curtain raiser to a world tour which would then start properly in the US a week later?

Thanks to Monkeymark on IORR for finding the link:

http://www.virtual-festivals.com/festivals/festival.cfm?festivalid=162

They list a series of big UK festival/outdoor shows scheduled for summer 2005, last of which is the Stones for 28th August

When clicking on the Stones' link it says:

28 August at London Hyde Park

Back after 36 years!

Although still to be officially confirmed, VF has it on good authority that the greatest rock n' roll band in the world will be returning to Hyde Park for a massive outdoor show, as part of their 2005 world tour.

The band famously performed in front of their largest audience to date (500,000) last time they played in Hyde Park, back in 1969. It was free, though!

[Edited by Gazza]
February 4th, 2005 08:59 PM
mac_daddy would be a killer way to announce their final farewell tour...

maybe it's time for me to ante up for the fan club (shudder)...

February 4th, 2005 09:09 PM
Soldatti Great news, and like I said they can start the tour outside of US...
February 4th, 2005 09:39 PM
Madafaka Surpriiiiiiiiising!
February 5th, 2005 05:34 AM
J.J.Flash Must find a way to move my ass to Hyde Park.......oaaaah the money...... as they say...."not a problem... the solution"

Imagine dudes.......the frenziest, craziest, loudest, wildest version of Midnight Rambler......Taylor could join the stage and perform a stirring rendition of Bye Bye Johnny (with the same passion as circa 1972) and CYHMK (of course Keith could practice his killer rhythm).

The gig could last up to 3 and a half hours.......no bearded's keyboard toy louder than Keith and Ronald.....and for an opening act.....we would have CREAM...yes babies, the one and only Cream....that trio built by 3 genius, yes....Jack Bruce, Ginger Baker and that lousy musician named Clapton..... and then......then......

TRIMMMMMMMMMMMMMM......WAKE UP JACK BASTARD.......YOU ARE LATE FOR THE OFFICE.....
February 5th, 2005 05:59 AM
Jumping Jack Wyman could join in the one time show without getting on an airplane.
February 5th, 2005 08:12 AM
JaggerLips Hyde Park 28th August? I think I cand manage that!
Just can't wait until the OFFICIAL ANNOUNCEMENT OF THE WORLD TOUR 2005
February 5th, 2005 08:25 AM
caro Funny, I would've thought that the last thing Mick would want to do is play in Hyde Park again. I can picture the headlines now :
"Wrinkly rockers searching for their youth in Hyde park"
"Trying to cash in on Brian's death once again"
"Taxpayers will pay for the park's cleanup"
"Get over it, Mick : Flower Power is Dead"
"Did Jagger really pay for Brian's murder?"
February 5th, 2005 09:14 AM
Dan
quote:
Jumping Jack wrote:
Wyman could join in the one time show without getting on an airplane.

Or at least break out the metal detector and look for dropped coins after the show.
February 5th, 2005 09:30 AM
nankerphelge That's damn funny!!!
February 6th, 2005 08:18 AM
Bob Tamp It probably aint going to happen. I read on Shidoobee that Hyde Park does not allow concerts in August, and permits have to be applied for 9 months in advance. It would be cool to see it happen though.
February 6th, 2005 08:31 AM
JumpingKentFlash It's awesome if it happens. Maybe a good bootleg or something would even come out of this.
February 6th, 2005 10:40 AM
Gazza
quote:
Bob Tamp wrote:
It probably aint going to happen. I read on Shidoobee that Hyde Park does not allow concerts in August, and permits have to be applied for 9 months in advance. It would be cool to see it happen though.

I'm unaware of the "never in August" rule (if so, why?) and as for the permit - who's to know it hasnt already been applied for? This festivals website would seem to be a reputable source - surely they'd know who have applied for licences for these kind of shows...

anyway, as someone rightly pointed out on the IORR thread, that proposed date (which is also a bank holiday weekend) is the same weekend as the Notting Hill Carnival, which takes place within a couple of miles of Hyde Park.

The Carnival is the biggest of it's kind in Europe and attracts crowds of well over 1 million during the 3 days or so that it's held. If you're going to add a big concert at Hyde Park to the mix with anything from 150-200,000 in attendance, that would be an incredible strain on policing, public transport etc. Of all of the weekends in August to stage such a concert, that would appear to be the least sensible and likely one.

February 6th, 2005 12:06 PM
JaggerLips
quote:
Gazza wrote:

I'm unaware of the "never in August" rule (if so, why?) and as for the permit - who's to know it hasnt already been applied for? This festivals website would seem to be a reputable source - surely they'd know who have applied for licences for these kind of shows...

anyway, as someone rightly pointed out on the IORR thread, that proposed date (which is also a bank holiday weekend) is the same weekend as the Notting Hill Carnival, which takes place within a couple of miles of Hyde Park.

The Carnival is the biggest of it's kind in Europe and attracts crowds of well over 1 million during the 3 days or so that it's held. If you're going to add a big concert at Hyde Park to the mix with anything from 150-200,000 in attendance, that would be an incredible strain on policing, public transport etc. Of all of the weekends in August to stage such a concert, that would appear to be the least sensible and likely one.

My suggestion screw Notting Hill have their festival another weekend! hahahah selfish me?
February 6th, 2005 09:09 PM
Soldatti On the new tour I can see many big shows like this or Toronto, they can play less shows for more people in that way.
February 7th, 2005 12:30 AM
corgi37 Will it be a free show?
February 7th, 2005 04:50 AM
Gazza I doubt it'll happen anyway, but to answer your question - probably not!!
February 7th, 2005 01:59 PM
Jaxx boy, Stones at Hyde Park looked GREAT posted on the Virtual Festivals sight. if it wasn't booked, i don't think it would have been out there like that. even if it is booked, there's no certainty that it will actually happen. i think all of us at one time or another have suffered emotional distress at the cancellation of a long awaited gig.
February 7th, 2005 02:28 PM
glencar Let it happen, cap'n!
February 7th, 2005 04:14 PM
Gazza
quote:
Jaxx wrote:
boy, Stones at Hyde Park looked GREAT posted on the Virtual Festivals sight. if it wasn't booked, i don't think it would have been out there like that. even if it is booked, there's no certainty that it will actually happen. i think all of us at one time or another have suffered emotional distress at the cancellation of a long awaited gig.

yes...the 2nd Paris show plus an entire 5-date UK tour in '98. One day I was lookin' forward to seeing 6 shows that summer - I ended up seeing one!
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood