ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Pirámide del Sol - Teotihuacan, México Febrero de 1998
© Sergio Mimbrera
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: CYHMK by Black Crowes! Return to archive
January 28th, 2005 09:52 AM
Saint Sway a kick ass live version of the Crowes doing "Can't You Hear Me Knockin" is streaming today on www.blackcrowes.com

click on the 'online radio' - CYHMK is the last encore

listen to the killer guitar riff on the intro by Rich Robinson! Thats how that riff is SUPPOSED to sound!! Nasty thunder! Not that watered down riff that Keith tried to pass off on us on the Licks Tour

HOT DAMN!!!
January 28th, 2005 10:18 AM
telecaster Keith actually played that intro very well at half the shows

He needs to get a better sound, too clean

Sounds like Chuck joined the BC on this one
January 28th, 2005 10:21 AM
FotiniD Boy, those Crowes sure do rock, don't they? Thanks for the link! I wish the Stones had saved more of that rawness in their sound still... I hope they actually do try it back next tour (one can hope...)

And the site is great too - did you notice the guitar strings that you can almost "play" when you rollover the mouse? Great idea, the pc freak in me goes crazy for such stuff

Back to the music; amazing live version! Got to catch them live sometime.
January 28th, 2005 11:23 AM
J.J.Flash
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
a kick ass live version of the Crowes doing "Can't You Hear Me Knockin" is streaming today on www.blackcrowes.com

listen to the killer guitar riff on the intro by Rich Robinson! Thats how that riff is SUPPOSED to sound!! Nasty thunder! Not that watered down riff that Keith tried to pass off on us on the Licks Tour

HOT DAMN!!!

I've heard once about this version of CYHMK and I was anxiously looking for it. Unfortunately, I can't access the shit.... seems that the link is broken.......

January 28th, 2005 11:36 AM
Saint Sway JJF,
its working fine for me. Go to www.blackcrowes.com and click on the online radio - which is located to the right of the ashtray

hope that helps
January 28th, 2005 11:44 AM
J.J.Flash
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
JJF,
its working fine for me. Go to www.blackcrowes.com and click on the online radio - which is located to the right of the ashtray

hope that helps

Fellow Saint.....

could you please post the direct link for the radio section?

TIA
January 28th, 2005 11:47 AM
Angiegirl JJF, Not possible, the site is a Flash-site, so you yjust need to have the Flash plugin...
January 28th, 2005 11:53 AM
J.J.Flash
quote:
Angiegirl wrote:
JJF, Not possible, the site is a Flash-site, so you yjust need to have the Flash plugin...

Thank you my queen, but I'm already able to see Flash based sites. I don't know what's going on!
January 28th, 2005 11:56 AM
charlotte Thanks! That's a kick ass web site...
January 28th, 2005 01:19 PM
Mikey Can any guitar players tab "Time will Tell"?
January 28th, 2005 01:45 PM
wkoetke Sad but true everyone, the Black Crowes version kicks the crap out of the Stones recent live version.

Reason: the obvious one, which is that neither Keith nor Ron can really cut it when it comes to loud, raucus rythym guitar any more. The ears don't lie.
January 28th, 2005 02:22 PM
Saint Sway Rich Robinson sounds like Keith Richards circa the 70s

Keith Richards sounds like MIck Jagger on guitar
January 28th, 2005 04:27 PM
HardKnoxDurtySox
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
a kick ass live version of the Crowes doing "Can't You Hear Me Knockin" is streaming today on www.blackcrowes.com

HOT DAMN!!!

Do you know when this is from Sway? "Ford" era or "Freed" era? Although I'm sure there are many great boots out there that I don't know about, the Crowes need to release a live album from like 94 or 95. The band was at its peak and Marc and Rich were playing together like Keith and Ron used to do circa 1978.
January 28th, 2005 04:32 PM
Saint Sway the show is from St. Louis in October of 2001

if anyone wants a copy they can post an email here for B&P
January 28th, 2005 05:18 PM
ChrisEditor Wow. Great version.

I'd love to get a copy of that show.

C
January 28th, 2005 05:33 PM
GimmeExile Saint Sway, do you have the complete concert of the Crowes performing CYHMK? If so, I'd love to B&P a copy of the show...Thanks!
January 28th, 2005 08:06 PM
mac_daddy at the end of the southern harmony alt mix there is a rehearsal of the tune, as well as a live take. pretty good...

and yes, the crowes have a very good website. rich's site is tight, too (and i remember a solid nem one, as well)
January 28th, 2005 10:14 PM
Soldatti The version is very good, the web site even better...
January 29th, 2005 07:38 AM
J.J.Flash .....and I'm the only son of a bitch who can't see the fuckin' website....
January 29th, 2005 03:24 PM
Saint Sway heres the set list of the show:

Midnight From The Inside Out
Sting Me
Kicking My Heart Around
Horsehead
Cosmic Friend
Remedy
High Head Blues
She Gave Good Sunflower
Sometimes Salvation
How Much For Your Wings
Buttermilk Waltz Jam -> Mojo Hand Jam -> Thorn In My Pride
Time Will Tell (Bob Marley)
Soul Singing
Wiser Time (w/Dave Scher from Beachwood Sparks)
By Your Side
Twice As Hard
Jealous Again
- encore -
Better When Your Not Alone
CAN'T YOU HEAR ME KNOCKIN!!!!!!!!!!!

Mac Daddy,
is the Crowes bootleg you have with the CYHMK rehearsal and live version also the one with the Crowes sound checking "Sway"?
if not, and you need it, I'd be happy to send you a copy
January 29th, 2005 06:41 PM
mac_daddy that's the one! i thought "sway" was in there, along with gdtrfb (w/ warren haynes), maybe..? i have to check, but that disc is the bee's knees!!!

have you hooked up with any solid tapers out there that will be archiving the run in march..?
January 31st, 2005 02:19 AM
padre Has anyone done a collection cd of all the Stones' songs The Black Crowes have played? And btw how many of them are there?
February 1st, 2005 11:33 AM
Saint Sway
quote:
padre wrote:
Has anyone done a collection cd of all the Stones' songs The Black Crowes have played? And btw how many of them are there?

I don't know if one exists. Maybe I'll try and assemble one. They played a show in Vegas at the Joint in Dec '96 that had quite a few Stones covers in the show. Thats a good show to seek out.

these are the Stones songs that I'm aware of the Crowes have covered - and kicked ass on:
Torn And Frayed
Can't You Hear Me Knockin
Happy
Dead Flowers
Silver Train
Honkeytonk Women
Jumpin Jack Flash
I Wanna Be Your Man
Shake Your Hips

Chris Robinson has covered: No Expectations

Rich Robinson has covered:
Memo From Turner
Hand Of Fate
Moonlight Mile
Corrina Corrina

and they've ripped off Sway, Till The Next Goodbye, Rip This Joint, Street Fighting Man, I Got The Blues, Loving Cup, Crazy Mama, Tumbling Dice.... and plenty of other Stones classics. Shake Your Money Maker, Southern Harmony and By Your Side are loaded with Stones sounding tunes.

www.frayed.org is a great Stones & Black Crowes site. Plenty of info on there
February 3rd, 2005 08:29 AM
HomerJRichards Totally cool thread. I love the Crowes cover of Happy. Haven't heard any of their other Stones covers but i will be doing so very soon (getting broadband this weekend whoohoo)

Have the Stones & Black Crowes ever toured together? I think it would be totally logical for them to do so. I understand the Crowes have just got back together which is excellent news.
February 3rd, 2005 10:37 AM
Saint Sway They toured together briefly on the Voodoo Lounge Tour . Crowes opened the UK shows.

I know the Crowes would love to open for them again. But it seems that the Stones just go with the flavor of the month these days when they choose their opening bands.

Ronnie Wood has jammed with them onstage. He's a fan. Mick's been to a bunch of their shows and they've always invited him onstage but he always passes ( thats just not Micks thing, he doesnt really get up and sing with any bands). But Mick did hire Rich Robinson to work on the demos for his record.

the exciting news is that Rich Robinson invited Keith to come jam with them at the Crowes shows in NYC next month. Keith said if he's in town, he'd do it. The Stones Paris sessions just got delayed for some reason so we'll see....
[Edited by Saint Sway]
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood