ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Pirámide del Sol - Teotihuacan, México Febrero de 1998
© Sergio Mimbrera
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: The Playoffs...NFL (NSC) Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6
January 24th, 2005 03:09 PM
Mikey -They moved Christmas this year to Feb 6th - Hiyoooooooooo - that was a tribute to Carson. But seriously,
- Andy Reid is 9-0 after a bye week, which what the SB is.
-The Pats staff notwithstanding, don't underestimate the Eagles staff for putting together a plan of attack
-Donovan. Playmaker
-Eagle Defense. Everyone talks about the Pats D, right. Well last night they showed a telling stat - defensively, the Pats and Eagles defenses have given up the same amount of points - 260 each.
-Nobody thinks the Eagles have a chance and that could work to their advantage
-In comparison, the Eagles and Pats both win games the same way - not many superstars, collective team win, good QBs
-If the Dolphins beat the Pats, why can't the Eagles on a neutral field
-The Eagles are road warriors - 29 & 6 in their last 35 games away from the Linc
-Its 33 degrees in Hell and dropping.
January 24th, 2005 03:21 PM
Joey

" Crouch to sign contract with K.C. "

BY ELIZABETH MERRILL

" After a couple of failed attempts and at least two changes of heart, Eric Crouch will get another shot at the NFL.

The former Nebraska quarterback is set to sign a contract with the Kansas City Chiefs and will be allocated to NFL Europe as a safety. A person within the Chiefs organization said Sunday that the paperwork is in the mail and that Crouch will report to camp Feb. 25 in Tampa.

"I'm sure there are some skeptics," the person within the organization said. "He wants to go. He's anxious to go."

The 2001 Heisman Trophy winner has not played an official game since the 2002 Rose Bowl. Contacted on his cell phone Sunday, Crouch declined to comment on his involvement with the Chiefs.

"I really can't at this time," he said. "The thing is, I've always had a desire to play football. I've always been a fan of the game."

Crouch said he was on the road conducting business with his recently purchased company, which produces playground and commercial park equipment.

The 26-year-old worked out for the Chiefs last summer but didn't make the roster. He then had a brief flirtation with the CFL when he visited Toronto last fall. The Argonauts want him to play quarterback.

Crouch's NFL history has been scrutinized, criticized and brief. He was drafted by St. Louis in the third round in 2002, converted to wide receiver, then left the team after one preseason game.

He signed with the Packers in April 2003 hoping to make the roster as a quarterback. He walked away from the team just before training camp after the Packers indicated that he probably wouldn't beat out the three quarterbacks ahead of him.

Crouch rejoined the team last March but was released in June.

Chiefs President Carl Peterson is a big proponent of NFL Europe. Three of his Pro Bowlers - Dante Hall, Gary Stills and Brian Waters - played in the league. "

January 24th, 2005 03:24 PM
jb Seems like a nice Christian kid.....
January 24th, 2005 03:28 PM
Joey
quote:
jb wrote:
Seems like a nice Christian kid.....

January 24th, 2005 04:52 PM
Lazy Bones
quote:
jb wrote:
If there is a g-d , Philly will win..I am sick of the patriots cheating their way to the championship!!!!!!!!!

Holy shit, Josh! I f*ckin' agree with you!!

The Patriots are the Atlanta Braves of football - everyone's tired of seeing them.

Go EAGLES!!!
January 25th, 2005 07:06 AM
Nellcote SS:
You like facts, right?
Look up The Eagles game of 09.14.03
Eight sacks-two picks
Your Eagles better FIND the game...

BTW, nice pix on Mac's site...
January 25th, 2005 10:15 PM
littleredrooster Nice job NE!!!!!
But the PAT stops here......E-A-G-L-E-S!!!!!!!!
The drought will be OVER!!! 'TO' or not THE COW PATIES have met their match!!

We all know that most Super Bowls SUCK.....Eagles in a Sleeper!!!
Or, Macca by a 'nip'!
[Edited by littleredrooster]
[Edited by littleredrooster]
January 25th, 2005 10:50 PM
Nellcote Hey Rooster!
Time for a new gig for you...
Let's review your "picks to click"

Yankees will win ALCS...Oh yeah, forgot
Yanks OWN the worst choke in sports history now.
SAY IT LOUD!!!OWN THE WORST CHOKE IN HISTORY!!!

Back to the topic...

Redbirds will nip Red Sox...Right, another brilliant call..

J E T S will beat Pats in December '04 causing Pats to say BYE to the BYE week.....Seeing a pattern?

Colts will smother Pats in Manning Bowl (Funny, the Stones played the Manning Bowl in Lynn, MA in the 60's!)..We know where Peyton is right now, crying with his brother....

The Steel Curtain will rein in the Pats...
Only to have that sissy baby Hines crying on TV today...
The "Bus" had no passengers....
Now it's the Eagles..

Why Roostah, if I was not mistaken, you are a real Obi Won when it comes to this prediction stuff...

Pats, winners of 33 out of the last 36...
Beat the best Offense in Football, the best Defense in Football, back-to-back...
Bring On The Eagles!!!

Pats are about TEAM!!

Pats have The Best winning playoff % of all time....
Tied Lombardi with most playoff wins..
The "mind' Belichick will prevail...
Sure, Any Given Sunday can happen...

Roostah, keep your day job...get out of the prediction biz..
You are starting to sound like Shannon Sharpe spitting all over the CBS set last week....

[Edited by Nellcote]
[Edited by Nellcote]
January 26th, 2005 12:05 PM
littleredrooster Please !

START TAKING YOUR MEDICINE AGAIN!!!!!!
January 26th, 2005 12:22 PM
Nellcote When you stop drinking the Jim Jones Kool Aid...
Or, better yet, keep betting against a Bahston Team, it seems to do the trick!
January 31st, 2005 07:56 PM
time is on my side Well, SUPER SUNDAY is coming and I thought I would revive this thread (it was buried on the second page). Who's going to win??? Or does anyone care??? Will the Patriots punch their ticket to officially being known as a dynasty and join the elite teams of bygone era's as one of the all time greats??? Or will the Eagles spring an upset and finally win their first SUPER BOWL???

The EAGLES sure are doing a lot of trash talking. My feeling it's going to be the Patriots but it's going to be close because the EAGLES have a better team than what a lot of people think. I just think the Patriots are going to find a way to win in the end.

[Edited by time is on my side]
January 31st, 2005 08:29 PM
Nellcote One needs to concern themselves in the wins over quality opponents department when comparing the teams.
Predictions are just that, like a weatherman, anything can happen.
Patriots have won more wins over quality opponents this year than the Eagles
Patriots have played the tougher schedule out of the two teams this year, beating 8 quality win teams to the Eagles 5.
Draw your own conclusions.
This includes you SS.
coldhardfootballfacts.com is the source
In any case, playing football in February is the holy grail...
January 31st, 2005 08:43 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Nellcote wrote:
In any case, playing football in February is the holy grail...

I'll bet $100.00 on the Pats. That's all I can afford to lose but these games only come up once in awhile. Gotta live a little.

[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
February 4th, 2005 08:42 AM
Nellcote Hey SS!
Strangely Silent on your IGGLES?
I thought you'd be getting all jiggy by now
just like Ol' Freddy Mitchell...

I am here to reprise my wager of several years back...
I'll take the Pats straight up vs. the IGGLES
for that bottle of Rebel Yell..

Are you in?
February 4th, 2005 01:40 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Most people in the world don't give a fuck about the Superbowl. I mean it's not like they have a stake in it. Or even like the sport.
February 4th, 2005 01:48 PM
Nellcote TTM, it's very different than in years past, I agree.
February 4th, 2005 01:54 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Nellcote wrote:
TTM, it's very different than in years past, I agree.

Zzzzzz....it's already getting TOUGH being a DYNASTY.Zzzz
February 4th, 2005 02:42 PM
Nellcote HEY TTM!

Remember, it's a tough opponent, they've got several ways to beat you, they are tough in the running department, they've got lots of weapons to hurt you with.

That's the Cliff Notes version of a Belichick press briefing which does not change every week..
February 5th, 2005 01:14 PM
Some Guy is T.O playin?
February 5th, 2005 01:51 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Some Guy wrote:
is T.O playin?

He wants to awfully bad...and I don't blame him. I'd say probably.
February 5th, 2005 02:08 PM
Ten Thousand Motels I mean I'm really getting tired and weary right now. That's the problem with being like as Billy the Kid , the Fastest Gun in the West syndrome...there's always some punk gunning for you. You can't have a meal in peace, always looking over your shoulder. They want what you've got. They want to be number 1.... in your rightful place. It's scary. It almost time to meet in the street....High Noon.

February 5th, 2005 08:58 PM
Ten Thousand Motels International Media Covers US Football Championship

By Jim Stevenson
Jacksonville, Florida
04 February 2005

Each year, a potential one billion people around the world are able to watch the U.S. National Football League championship game called the Super Bowl. VOA's Jim Stevenson is in Jacksonville, Florida to cover the game and has more on the throngs of international broadcasters who will bring the popular Super Bowl to the airwaves.

The Super Bowl broadcast from Houston, Texas last year was the most watched television program ever in the United States with 144.4 million viewers. The 10 most-watched sports programs in U.S. television history have all been Super Bowls.

Announcer 1: “Super Bowl records set in this game, four kick returns, most combined points set in the first quarter, the longest pass reception, most punt returns, the longest kickoff return.”
Announcer 2: “That's what you call a shootout!"

More than 3000 working media are credentialed for Super Bowl 39 this year in Jacksonville, Florida. Of that group, 356 are international journalists from 130 organizations. Mexico leads the international contingent with 41 media outlets represented in Jacksonville, followed by Canada with 24, Germany and Britain with 14 each, and Japan with 12.

The Super Bowl, perhaps the most American of all sporting events, is a worldwide curiosity.

The championship game, while perhaps not understood by many international viewers, will be seen live in the early hours of Monday in Europe, and after daybreak in Asia.

Sunday's game between the Philadelphia Eagles and New England Patriots will be beamed to a potential audience estimated by the NFL at one billion in more than 220 countries and territories. It will be broadcast in 21 languages, including Arabic, Cantonese, Icelandic, Russian, Serbian and Thai.

Fourteen television and radio stations from 10 countries will broadcast the game from Alltel Stadium including a crew from China. Last year, Philadelphia Eagles tight end Chad Lewis, who speaks fluent Mandarin, was their color analyst. This year his team is in the game, although Lewis is sidelined with an injury.

While the other sport of football, or soccer, is the most popular in the world, American-style football is gaining global interest. The NFL makes a concerted international marketing effort with the exhibition "American Bowl" played every season in Japan. NFL Europe, considered a developmental league, exposes the game to thousands of people on that continent.

Many international sports fans find American football to be tedious, with all the stoppages in play interspersed by a few seconds of action. Still, two Japanese television stations each have 50 people at the Super Bowl. Their live telecasts will begin at eight in the morning, Monday, Japanese time.

Even if the Super Bowl itself is confusing and not on the same scale with the month-long World Cup football finals played every four years, international fans can still enjoy the entertainment segments such as the pre-game festivities and the halftime extravaganza.

February 5th, 2005 09:58 PM
time is on my side Well, we're already having a little pre-Super Bowl party and I'm already plastered out of my mind (perhaps I'll delete this post when I wake up tomorrow- perhaps not, does it make any difference???).

Really looking forward to the game. Super Sunday's are always a great reason to be alive and have always enjoyed the nationwide party atmosphere this spectacle seems to bring out. Sports definately has a way of reviving the animal spirits (of course there's always plenty of that going on in the work place during any given workday).

Just looked at the postings on this thread and looks like the usual suspects (the New England fanactics) have continued to post. I, too, am hoping for a Patriot victory and have already predicted a near certain Patriot victory. The only problem with that is there is a reason why I don't like gambling- I'm always wrong in my predictions.

Hope the game turns out to be a close one. Isn't it funny how the games have been real good the last four to five years??? It used to be known as the Super Bore but I've always enjoyed the Super Sunday parties.

PEACE

February 6th, 2005 05:17 AM
Ten Thousand Motels It'll be all over by halftime

Patriots will control the game, cruise to title

By Rob Longley
Brian Dawkins had the George Halas NFC Championship trophy in his hands and insisted that every one of his teammates touch it. The Eagles safety roamed around Lincoln Financial Field in Philadelphia with the hardware in hand and the celebration of the just completed victory over the Atlanta Falcons raging.

It was difficult not to get the feeling that this was their Super Bowl.

That feeling may well get a little stronger today at 5:30 p.m., kickoff for the 39th edition of America's most-watched sporting event.

The opponent this time is not some less-accomplished team from the NFC, but the defending champion New England Patriots. The Eagles have said all the right things about unfinished business, but they'll have to mean it.

In New England, they face the most dominant team in the salary-cap era, one that shows its strength in many ways.

STARTS ON DEFENCE

It starts on defence, with veteran linebackers such as Tedy Bruschi and Ted Johnson and safety Rodney Harrison. All three hit to hurt and will make Eagles such as quarterback Donovan McNabb and receivers Terrell Owens and Freddie Mitchell realize that the game is tackle football.

On offence, the Pats are led by the most reliable big-game quarterback in more than a decade. Tom Brady has not lost in eight NFL post-season appearances and is a two-time Super Bowl MVP.

So what can the Eagles do?

If the Eagles are wise, they will try to roll the dice on the Patriots --something uptight opponents of the defending champs have shied away from doing these playoffs.

Unlike Peyton Manning and the Indianapolis Colts, Eagles coach Andy Reid will have to implore McNabb to test the Patriots deep. If New England is vulnerable anywhere -- and that is up for debate -- this could be the spot.

In the past, Reid has shown he doesn't mind gambling. The great mystery is how healthy wideout Terrell Owens is and how much he will play. He was rested for the team's walk-through yesterday and is listed as questionable for today. Even though the Eagles have survived nicely while T.O. was on seven weeks injury leave, they likely need him now more than ever.

The downside of the aggressive strategy, of course, is the Patriots' proven ability to attack and force turnovers on opponents that attempt to get too greedy.

Defensively, if the Eagles can't find a way to slow down running back Corey Dillon, they can kiss the Halas Trophy all they want but kiss goodbye to the Lombardi.

With Dillon, the Patriots have become even more dominant in their ability to control the clock and win the battle of field position.

In their victory over the Colts, they had three separate drives in the eight-minute range as Dillon ripped Indianapolis for 144 yards. If they can control the Patriots' run -- Kevin Faulk is an efficient complementary runner -- then the Eagles can focus on bringing some heat on Brady.

For the Patriots, the fun is to see what new wrinkles coach Bill Belichick comes up with. Their defence is famous for false looks and changing alignments that confound offences to the point that they have no clue what they are facing.

The Patriots have been particularly effective in neutralizing big-name quarterbacks and will have several puzzling looks for McNabb.

On offence, Brady loves to spread the ball around to as many as 10 receivers per game, which makes the Pats incredibly difficult to defend.

Although it goes against the grain of recent Super Bowl performances, this could well be a low-scoring affair as both teams have ball-control ability.

Look for the Patriots to seize control of the tempo, clock and scoreboard by halftime before continuing on to a comfortable, emphatic third Super Bowl win in four years.

Jack McCaffery: Prepare the parade: Birds will beat Pats

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- By now, it has transcended all mathematical possibility, has strained all ethical loyalty and has resisted every law of modern sports management. All it did was happen, for 1,000 reasons, one more illogical than the other. What happened was that Maurice Cheeks scored on a breakaway dunk, the Sixers convened for a quick parade down Broad Street, Harold Katz insulted the loyal customers from behind a foot-long cigar ... and Philadelphia never, ever again won a world team sports championship. That was 1983. No one then thought it would last so long. Some still believe it all has been a trick, for it couldn’t have happened -- not in a town with such a passionate population, media penetration, facilities, money and opportunity.

But now comes tonight, and the possibility that it all will end. No, make that the probability. No, call it in already: The Eagles are going to defeat the New England Patriots to win Super Bowl XXXIX and make 1983 go away at last. Harold Katz was not immediately available for comment.

Why now? Why after so many years? Well, Fred Shero, who never had much difficulty winning world championships for Philadelphia, probably said it best when he started Bobby Taylor after 60 consecutive starts by Bernie Parent: It’s his turn. That’s it: It’s Philadelphia’s turn -- at last.

That is not to diminish the preparation that will have gone into the Eagles’ acquisition of the Lombardi Trophy -- the years of number-massaging from Joe Banner, the hours in meetings for Donovan McNabb, the determination Terrell Owens showed to recover from a broken ankle, the detailed game plans of Andy Reid and his able assistants, or the skills of nine Pro Bowl players.

It is not to suggest that when the Eagles win tonight it will have been from some weird lottery draw -- that every 22 years, there has to be a Broad Street carry-on and, so the Birds just happen to be standing there, willing to accept the applause on behalf of all those years of ultimate losers.

But just as it never made sense that Philadelphia had been so unable to win a championship, an oddly favorable and almost unexplainable atmosphere surrounds the Eagles now, as it has, really, all season.

If ever the rest of the NFC East was lousy with incompetence, this was the year. But to their credit, the Eagles took advantage and won every division game. As such, they were presented with as cozy a tournament draw as there ever had been, not including basketball brackets drawn up for his own tourney by Bobby Knight. They needed to beat the .500 Minnesota Vikings, and then the rising but too inexperienced Atlanta Falcons -- both games being at home. That left them in the Super Bowl, where they would need to catch just the right team at just the right time.

That team was the Patriots; that time is now, and never mind that New England is favored by a touchdown. St. Louis was so favored four years ago and was upset by, yes, the Pats. So who are they, now, to deny that such upsets are possible in a Super Bowl?

That time is now because not only do the Eagles have the tactical tools to compete against the Patriots -- specifically, they have the designer defense to neutralize Tom Brady -- but also because of the standard, subtle factors that can make the difference in football games.

One of those factors is that the Eagles are the more desperate team. And the more desperate teams tend to win NFL games, provided the talent is comparable. The Patriots have won two of the last three Super Bowls. The Eagles believe they were good enough to have done the same, but somehow fell just short of the opportunity in three consecutive NFC finals. Whatever happens now, this nucleus of Patriots has its place in NFL history. The Eagles, with as much ability, have been thirsting to rise to that level. Now, they have the chance; more, they spent the week in Northern Florida demonstrating that determination while the Pats seemed distracted, disinterested or just plain distanced.

Beyond the distraction of the offensive coordinator recruiting for Notre Dame, the defensive coordinator reportedly set to become the head coach in Cleveland and the sad midweek news of the death of Tom Brady’s grandmother, proof of the Pats’ shrinking attention span came when Bill Belichick said he would reject the standard go-to-Disneyland chant upon a Patriots victory. No, he was planning to play golf instead. First, no coach preparing for the Super Bowl should be permitted to mutter the word golf. And maybe, just maybe, Belichick would not be invited to a theme park at all, for other than Nancy Kerrigan, no one seems more out of place at Disneyland than a runner-up football coach.

It’s Philadelphia’s turn, remember. Finally, the sports world will make some sense. Philadelphia, with its dedicated fans, bottomless TV money, spectacular facilities and limitless patience, will celebrate its first major league championship since 1983.

Terrell Owens, whose return to health makes the Eagles capable of winning any game at any time, had the most telling prediction: "Obviously, to win," he said, adding: "We came here to win it. We met a lot of goals along the way. And this is the end of it."

It’s the end of it, all right -- the end to 22 years of maddening frustration for Philadelphia sports fans. Line up the parade route chairs: Eagles 27, Patriots 20.

To contact Jack McCaffery, e-mail [email protected].
©The Daily Times 2005

February 6th, 2005 09:14 AM
UGot2Rollme as I posted here before the season started, after the Eagles added TO and Kearse to their line-up "ain't no stoppin' us now!". Philly has alot of heart and soul and we've been waiting 24 years to get back to the big dance.

GO EAGLES!!!!!!
February 6th, 2005 11:41 AM
Some Guy Whats that saying about on any given Sunday?
February 7th, 2005 12:22 AM
Nellcote Yeah, what is it about any given Sunday?
THE BEST TEAM IN THE NFL-THE NE PATRIOTS!!!!!
February 7th, 2005 12:59 AM
time is on my side Just returned from a celebration or should I say coronation, it's now official, PATRIOTS, are now a dynasty and should now be mentioned with those bygone teams (Cowboys in the 90's, 49'ers in the 80's, Steelers in the 70's and the Packers in the 60's- I'll just mentioned those teams from the last half century or so because it's time for me to put an end to this night and I don't wont to confuse anyone). They are a team for the ages. If they should win again next year, they should be placed above teams and may be the best team of all time but that's for another year. As for now, scholars on torn off pieces of paper used for homework assignments will try to determine what the Patriots meant to the American psyche during the early part of the 21st Century. It's my hope, despite the ongoing worldwide tragedies, it will be remembered in a positive light. So ends, all too quickly, another year of NFL football.

May God Bless America, the NFL, and may a copy of Jersey Devil find you soon (mine is due to arrive in a few weeks).

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood