ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Coliseo de San Juan, Purto Rico - February 11, 2006
© Javier J. Freytes, "El Nuevo Día" with thanks to Montana
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: It's rocker's pick 'n Mick Return to archive
February 7th, 2006 12:47 PM
Honky Tonk Man Taken from today's Sun newspaper
------------------------------------------------------------
It's rocker's pick 'n Mick

Time out ... Mick insists 'wrinklies' are not shown on TV

HE dyes his hair, dates younger women – and now MICK JAGGER is hand-picking his audience.
The pouting rock legend took drastic action to avoid a TV audience of more than one billion spotting the ROLLING STONES’ ageing fans at Sunday’s Super Bowl gig.

The band performed during the half-time break at American football’s biggest night.

But beforehand Mick ordered lackeys to move some of the fans from the central arena so they wouldn’t appear on screen.

And it seems baldies, wrinklies and non-supermodels were among those turfed out — unless you are KEITH RICHARDS, CHARLIE WATTS and RONNIE WOOD, of course.

A source tells me: “Mick was worried there were too many bald heads and middle-aged fans at the front of the stage.

“Staff were told to take tickets off older fans and hand them to better-looking ones. A lot of people were not pleased.”

But Mick and his cronies, who followed pre-game entertainment from JOSS STONE, did put on a show young pups like the KAISER CHIEFS would admire.

The set was amazing — based on their 40 Licks logo.

But while Mick sucks on a Werthers Original, he’ll draw Satisfaction from the fact viewers won’t have noticed his fans are closer to drawing their pensions than student loans.

TV network ABC, terrified of having a repeat of the Janet Jackson nipple scandal from two years ago, introduced a five second delay to cut out explicit lyrics.

They bleeped out two of Mick’s lines they thought would upset middle America.

February 7th, 2006 01:03 PM
Angiegirl I just love it when the Brittish press warms up to one of their biggest export products. Bring on the Euro Tour 2006!! [rubs hands]
February 7th, 2006 01:29 PM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
Angiegirl wrote:
Bring on the Euro Tour 2006!! [rubs hands]

Well I agree with that!

The whole "censorship" thing was ridiculous enough, but to actually have people REMOVED because they looked to wrinkly or old is just utterly ridiculous! Hey-ho, it's the Stones and they can do what they like!
February 7th, 2006 01:32 PM
Angiegirl It's sad indeed, but nothing new. They did it for the '95 Paradiso shows in Amsterdam as well. The baldies were sent to the upper balconies and the young and pretty who were clueless about the band were hired to simulate oragsms in front row downstairs. They recorded for the Stripped docu back then, so probably is was the same deal at Brixton and l'Olympia...
February 7th, 2006 01:42 PM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
Angiegirl wrote:
It's sad indeed, but nothing new. They did it for the '95 Paradiso shows in Amsterdam as well. The baldies were sent to the upper balconies and the young and pretty who were clueless about the band were hired to simulate oragsms in front row downstairs. They recorded for the Stripped docu back then, so probably is was the same deal at Brixton and l'Olympia...

I think this probably happened with the Madison Square Garden ppv show from the Licks tour. During Satisfaction, the camera constantly focuses on these pretty women dancing up and down in the front. Surely that's another fix of this kind? I presume this is all Mick’s doing. I CAN see where the guy is coming from, but it is a little sad and isn't doing his credibility and god at all. It certainly won't dispel the "rocking wrinkles" tag attached to him and the other Stones. In fact, I'd bet it makes it worse.
February 7th, 2006 01:43 PM
jb It's smart PR..you want more shots of the bald, fat guy from Salt lake?
February 7th, 2006 01:44 PM
pdog I prefer to look at good looking people too !!!
Call me crazy...
February 7th, 2006 01:48 PM
nankerphelge That is no big surprise is it?

After the Baltimore show, I stopped in the men's room.

Holy shit what a wakeup call.

all 45 year-old men
all bald and/or grey
all wearing distressed leather jackets
all taking entirely too long to piss because their prostates are all the size of eggplants!

No front rowers in there!!!
February 7th, 2006 01:49 PM
Angiegirl I think it is Mick, I somehow cannot see how Keith, Charlie or Ronnie would care about they way their fans look. It's a sellout, these older and balder fans are the ones who've made them rich after all. So yeah, Mick's a hypocrite. But we already knew that, didn't we? He's arrogant and manipulative and we love him.
February 7th, 2006 01:51 PM
pdog
quote:
nankerphelge wrote:
That is no big surprise is it?

After the Baltimore show, I stopped in the men's room.

Holy shit what a wakeup call.

all 45 year-old men
all bald and/or grey
all wearing distressed leather jackets
all taking entirely too long to piss because their prostates are all the size of eggplants!

No front rowers in there!!!

No Meat inspecting... No Pecker checkers ... No Sausage handlers...
Can we move on?
February 7th, 2006 02:13 PM
luxury1 the whole age thing is Mick's Achilles Heel.

ANd by the way, NO ONE removed me from the front row at the MSG Licks Show. My wig was firmly in place that night...
February 7th, 2006 02:20 PM
winter
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:

I think this probably happened with the Madison Square Garden ppv show from the Licks tour. During Satisfaction, the camera constantly focuses on these pretty women dancing up and down in the front. Surely that's another fix of this kind? I presume this is all Mick’s doing. I CAN see where the guy is coming from, but it is a little sad and isn't doing his credibility and god at all. It certainly won't dispel the "rocking wrinkles" tag attached to him and the other Stones. In fact, I'd bet it makes it worse.

This absolutely did happen at MSG / HBO. I had row C on the floor, Keith' side, which should have been the 3rd row, but it was the 4th. They added a row AA in front, which was all models. Shit happens, but it made for some viewing entertainment between bands.

The Stones are not the only band to do this sort of thing.

wintah

February 7th, 2006 02:36 PM
Lucy_Bandersnatch Too easy. Just follow the money. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder's wallet. Isn't Mick known for being pretty savvy about this sort of thing?

Selective jiggling..now I've heard of everything...
February 7th, 2006 02:42 PM
texile its pathetic is what it is ...
we've always been weel aware of jagger's ego and superficial tendencies but ....
and it may be great pr if people bought it but they DON'T -
so it is what it is - pathetic.
i often wonder which jagger is the real deal -
the man who made exile has got to have more going on than this.......
February 7th, 2006 02:45 PM
pdog
quote:
texile wrote:
the man who made exile has got to have more going on than this.......

Hello... You ever hear of Keith Richards !!!
February 7th, 2006 02:54 PM
gimmekeef Its the bald guys payin $400 a seat and buyin ABB....Course when did the band give a shit about the real fans anyway?..
February 7th, 2006 02:55 PM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
jb wrote:
It's smart PR..you want more shots of the bald, fat guy from Salt lake?

I agree to an extent. It certainly makes for BETTER viewing, especially for Mick, but one can't deny that it's somewhat smirked upon. In my opinion, it makes Mick out to be a little, well, sad to be honest. The Stones are what they are and that’s a bunch of very rich, though be it wrinkly old men and lets face it, so are A LOT of their fans. Honesty is the best policy and I think it’d be more credible if the dinosaurs of rock n’ roll just played it the way it’s meant to be.
February 7th, 2006 02:56 PM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
luxury1 wrote:
ANd by the way, NO ONE removed me from the front row at the MSG Licks Show. My wig was firmly in place that night...

Don't be daft! If I were Mick, I'd have you on stage with me!
February 7th, 2006 04:56 PM
texile
quote:
pdog wrote:

Hello... You ever hear of Keith Richards !!!

yeah but what i meant pdog is that its sometimes hard to marry the silly-ass man we read about in the press with the man who sang and wrote songs like let it loose and such...
honky man is correct -
the tactic is laughable and only makes the stones seem desparate and clueless.
February 7th, 2006 05:04 PM
pdog
quote:
texile wrote:

yeah but what i meant pdog is that its sometimes hard to marry the silly-ass man we read about in the press with the man who sang and wrote songs like let it loose and such...
honky man is correct -
the tactic is laughable and only makes the stones seem desparate and clueless.

I see your point... BUT !!! What the hell was the topic...?
February 7th, 2006 06:36 PM
Soldatti Today I've seen on TV the Ruby Tuesday video from At The Max (from UK I think) and I can't believe how young was the crowd 15 years ago.
I think that the middle aged fans were more prominent since the Licks tour, it's very complicated for the Stones to attract new fans in the States and some parts of Europe too. The tickets prices are helping a lot of course.
February 7th, 2006 06:43 PM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
Soldatti wrote:
Today I've seen on TV the Ruby Tuesday video from At The Max (from UK I think) and I can't believe how young was the crowd 15 years ago.
I think that the middle aged fans were more prominent since the Licks tour, it's very complicated for the Stones to attract new fans in the States and some parts of Europe too. The tickets prices are helping a lot of course.

I agree with what your saying. However, the "young crowd" you speak of from 15 years ago, is REALLY the same crowd we have today. It's just that they've got older. I totally see your point, but remember people can REALLY age in 15 years!

I completely agree with your ticket argument. I for one simply cannot afford to se more than one show this tour. Their prices are disgusting, but what can a poor boy do?
February 7th, 2006 06:59 PM
Lucy_Bandersnatch

Looks like the censors missed something...
[Edited by Lucy_Bandersnatch]
[Edited by Lucy_Bandersnatch]
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)