ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Coliseo de San Juan, Purto Rico - February 11, 2006
© Javier J. Freytes, "El Nuevo Día" with thanks to Montana
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: AP: Stones "ragged" Return to archive
February 6th, 2006 08:47 AM
Mel Belli ABC has no ‘Satisfaction’ with Stones’ lyrics
Network says NFL enforced 5-second delay on group’s halftime show

The Associated Press
Updated: 10:56 p.m. ET Feb. 5, 2006

NEW YORK - They may not have flashed any body parts — except for Mick Jagger’s well-toned stomach — but the Rolling Stones made ABC glad editors were on duty for the Super Bowl halftime show.

Two sexually explicit lyrics were excised from the rock legends’ performance Sunday. The only song to avoid the editor was “(I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction,” a 41-year-old song about sexual frustration.

In “Start Me Up,” the show’s editors silenced one word, a reference to a woman’s sexual sway over a dead man. The lyrics for “Rough Justice” included a synonym for rooster that the network also deemed worth cutting out.

ABC was the first network to impose a five-second tape delay on the Super Bowl, although it said the changes to the Stones’ show were made by the NFL and its producers. The sensitivity no doubt reflects a lingering reaction to Janet Jackson’s infamous wardrobe malfunction two years ago.

The Stones probably didn’t mind, either. It brought a little rock ’n’ roll danger to the ultimate “safe” gig and — if they’re lucky — it distracted attention from their mediocre show.

Jagger, at age 62, is still a force of nature, strutting and dancing across a stage designed as a replica of their famed wagging tongue logo. The band’s performance felt ragged — they seemed just warming up during the opening “Start Me Up,” and a three-song set affords no such luxury.

The Stones chose three tough rockers, including the best song from their well-received recent album and one of their most enduring hits.

“Here’s one we could have done at Super Bowl I,” Jagger wryly said in introducing “Satisfaction.”

It was their best, most energetic effort, and ended with Jagger blowing a kiss to the audience. But unlike U2’s performance four years ago at the Super Bowl, their set was not an example of a band at its peak rising to the majesty of the event.

Some in Detroit felt the city’s rich musical history was snubbed when the Stones were selected, even if the Super Bowl had Motown-themed halftime shows twice in the past 25 years. This year’s Motown tribute came before the game.

Stevie Wonder was the centerpiece, singing a medley of his hits with the help of John Legend, Joss Stone and India.Arie.

It was a typical monument to excess, with a stage more crowded than a train station at rush hour, and was marred by microphones that occasionally malfunctioned. Brightly clad dancers hoofed it incongruously when Wonder sang a portion of his angry ghetto tale “Livin’ for the City,” at one point pretending to fight each other.

Most importantly, the medley format did a disservice to the musicians. They rushed through the songs as if at a fast-food service line. With hours of meaningless pregame hoopla, couldn’t they be given five minutes more to finish a few songs?

The National Anthem offered a particularly odd partnership — Aaron Neville and Dr. John (in a tribute to hurricane-ravaged New Orleans) with Detroit favorite Aretha Franklin. Neville sang half of the song in his feathery-soft voice, then was never heard from again when Franklin blew the dome’s roof off.

She barely needed a microphone.

© 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
February 6th, 2006 08:56 AM
Shawn20 That review is a joke. What were they watching. The Stones were great. The Stones are victims of blatant racism. Motown was given their due....they cannot compare to the power of the Rolling Stones.
February 6th, 2006 09:04 AM
the good Yeah, I linked this below. I just don't get it. The Stones were awesome. People on the radio are busting on the Stones too. I don't know what they were watching. I think its just easy for these guys to take cheap shots at the Stones. Its the peanut butter and Jelly of the media, the old stand by, and it gives them some facile applause lines for the next day...
[Edited by the good]
February 6th, 2006 09:12 AM
Mel Belli Which radio jocks? Local?

Look, the younger the viewer, the less chance he has of "getting" a rock band playing pure and simply.

Was there a moment last night that could compare to U2 drawing on (some say exploiting) immediate post-9/11 emotion and playing "Where the Streets Have No Name" to a swell of pre-recorded synthesizers? No. And, er, thank God.
February 6th, 2006 09:19 AM
gimmekeef Its the same old press..always negative.We know they kicked ass and thats all that matters.Following one of the most boring first halfs of football ever the boys kicked some ass....
February 6th, 2006 09:42 AM
maumau
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:
Its the same old press..

well i think it is more than that. it is just "the same article" from an AP writer that is circulating from the moment the show ended. It has been copied and pasted on USA Today and CBS news and elsewhere giving the impression that this is a common review.

it is not. look for google news for more

funny how much attention it gets from stones fan boards

me i think they were fine, not awesome, occasionally kicking some ass

mediocre > not at all
February 6th, 2006 09:42 AM
gimmekeef Another more balanced review perhaps:

Jagger and the boys provide satisfaction at halftime
Following pregame serenades from Wonder and Franklin
Monday, February 06, 2006

By Monica Haynes, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Annie O'Neill, Post-Gazette
Stevie Wonder performs before the game last night.
Click photo for larger image.

More Super Coverage:

Music, ads make colorful Super Bowl sideshow

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DETROIT -- Performing just three songs, The Rolling Stones did more to move the crowd than either the Steelers or Seattle Seahawks did in the first half of Super Bowl XL.

The Stones' selection as the halftime act did cause a stir in Motown, a city of legendary musical talent. But Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Ron Wood and Charlie Watts strutted their senior-citizen stuff like much younger guys on a red stage shaped like their trademark giant lips with a protruding cloth tongue. They kicked things off, appropriately enough, with "Start Me Up." Hundreds of volunteer fans surrounded the stage, and the cloth tongue was pulled back to reveal even more. By the time the Stones ended with "Satisfaction," the stands were a sea of flickering lights.

In the pregame show, icon Stevie Wonder introduced a second generation of wonderful talent when he included his daughter, Aisha Morris. The performance was a medley of old hits, including "Living for the City" and new songs from his latest CD, "A Time 2 Love." Wonder was joined by Grammy-nominated John Legend, India.Arie and British soul singer Joss Stone. In addition to singing songs from Wonder's repertoire, they performed old Motown hits, including "I Heard It Through the Grapevine" and "Dancing in the Streets".

Aretha Franklin and Aaron Neville sang the National Anthem backed by a 150-voice Detroit-based choir. Neville sounded a bit shaky starting things off, but Franklin got things in gear when she added her gospel-singed vocals.

February 6th, 2006 09:45 AM
maumau http://www.suntimes.com/output/football/cst-ftr-super06.html

The chicago sun times

"In 3 songs, Stones say a lot"
February 6th, 2006 09:50 AM
Mel Belli The Sun-Times reviewer thinks Mick went "mute" instead of being bleeped? That's pretty funny.
February 6th, 2006 09:53 AM
gimmekeef NY Time gives the boys a thumbs up!:

Jagger and Stones rock the house

By JON PARELES
THE NEW YORK TIMES

The Rolling Stones sang three songs for the Super Bowl XL halftime show Sunday night and were censored in two of them -- not a bad average for a band of sexagenarians who still ride a reputation as provocateurs.

The two unheard words -- from "Start Me Up" and from a song on the latest Stones album, "Rough Justice" -- were sexual references. But then again, so was most of the Stones' miniset, from the stage shaped like the band's lascivious lips-and- tongue logo to Mick Jagger's hip-swiveling, elbow-pumping, gleefully leering presence.

His cropped-top shirt showed his navel, and, of course, he sang "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction."

"Here's one we could have done at Super Bowl I," he said, introducing that 1965 hit. "But everything comes to he who waits."

The Stones have been rocking stadium-sized audiences since the 1960s, and they do their job with rowdy ease.

There was no question that the songs were being performed live, as Keith Richards and Ron Wood played tandem guitar parts that constantly jostled each other, and Jagger toyed with the timing of his leathery vocals. That perennial looseness, the constant playful reworking of the few basic chords after 40 years of performing the same song, is one of the band's claims to greatness.

The Super Bowl, under protest, had been forced to lift its initial age limit of 45 for the standing-room fans who wanted to get close to the Stones. For its musical segments, this Super Bowl belonged to icons of the baby-boom generation: not just the Stones at halftime, but a soul-music showcase before the game.

"The Star-Spangled Banner" was shared by Aretha Franklin, from Detroit, and Aaron Neville, from New Orleans, with another New Orleans patriarch, Dr. John, on piano.

But no one upstages Franklin. After Neville sang a sweetly tremulous verse, Franklin took over and turned the anthem into one creamy, sustained, swooping phrase after another, bringing it the ecstatic devotion of gospel music.

To baby boomers, Detroit is Motown, and before the game, Stevie Wonder was at the center of a Motown medley that also featured younger performers: John Legend, India.Arie and Joss Stone, all seizing their moments in songs such as "I Heard It Through the Grapevine," "Dancing in the Street" and "Signed, Sealed, Delivered."

February 6th, 2006 09:56 AM
rollmops Another boring journalist probably watching the game confortably seated in his sofa, writing about a subject that he doesn't get ; Rock and Roll. The Stones rocked very hard Sunday night without safety net. They played ROCK AND ROLL like it should be played: with attitude and loud. No compromise. Just kicking ass.
Mops
February 6th, 2006 10:00 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Mel Belli wrote:
The Sun-Times reviewer thinks Mick went "mute" instead of being bleeped? That's pretty funny.

That was my impression.
February 6th, 2006 10:02 AM
FPM C10
quote:
maumau wrote:
http://www.suntimes.com/output/football/cst-ftr-super06.html

The chicago sun times

"In 3 songs, Stones say a lot"

Yeah, and it's Jim Derogatis - for whom the term "derogatory" was coined? The guy that all the Chicago RO-ers wanted to kill for his LAST Stones review. I guess he just has a short attention span.

In 3 songs, Stones say a lot

February 6, 2006

BY JIM DEROGATIS POP MUSIC CRITIC

When the Rolling Stones performed on his show in 1967, Ed Sullivan was wary of giving network air time to such lewd hell-raisers, and he famously made them change the lyrics of "Let's Spend the Night Together."

There is no small irony in the fact that four decades later, rock's one-time baddest of the bad boys are viewed as safe, non-controversial entertainment for half-time at the Super Bowl, which is still reeling from a glimpse of Janet Jackson's breast in 2004.

This year, the show got all the controversy out of the way long before kick-off. After pundits pointed out that the median age of the Stones is 62, the NFL abandoned its plan to ban anyone over 45 from dancing in the middle of the tongue-shaped stage.

And when other critics wondered why the producers tapped a bunch of Brits rather than homegrown talent from one of America's greatest music cities, Aretha Franklin quickly was recruited to sing the national anthem, with Aaron Neville and Dr. John helping her out and giving a nod to hurricane-battered New Orleans.

As for the Stones, they delivered a succinct but fiery three-song set that found them doing much more than simply going through the motions.

"Start Me Up" was a predictable opener, and you knew they had to close with "Satisfaction." But if you remember what the song is really about, the latter takes on added resonance in the midst of the year's biggest orgy of advertising excess.

"When I'm watchin' my TV/And that man comes on to tell me/How white my shirts can be ... I can't get no satisfaction," Mick Jagger sang with a bit more sneer than usual. And the tune ended in a wonderfully raucous jam with Ron Wood and Keith Richards playing a minute of sheer punk-rock dissonance and clatter.

In between, the Stones bettered Paul McCartney at last year's show by playing an actual recent song -- "Rough Justice," the strongest from the 2005 album "A Bigger Bang" -- and they even poked a little fun at themselves.

"Here's one we could have played at Super Bowl I," Jagger said in introducing "Satisfaction," originally released in 1965.

The group's biggest cop-out was something that only a hardcore Stones fan noticed, but it was undeniable: Jagger emphatically went mute and cut off the last word of the one mildly licentious line in "Start Me Up." (You know, the one about the dead man.)

Well, at least the Stones are consistent: They were willing to bend for Sullivan in '67, and they happily censored themselves in 2006, lest they offend anyone watching Super Bowl XL -- several hours of men violently hurling themselves at each other in the name of good, wholesome family entertainment.
February 6th, 2006 10:23 AM
the good
quote:
Mel Belli wrote:
Which radio jocks? Local?

No, Glenn Beck, a national guy. I think I've had it with him. He sounded crazy when he railed against evolution, but I put up with it because he can be funny. This is the last straw. I mean, I can handle an uneducated guy who thinks that creationism makes more sense than evolution, but can I tolerate a jackass who trashes the Stones performance last night? No.

At least the Times liked it. I am pissed about the AP article. That is going to get picked up by every newspaper. Its just amazing how one person's erroneous view can be circulated for widespread consumption and taken as truth...
February 6th, 2006 10:33 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
FPM C10 wrote:
When the Rolling Stones performed on his show in 1967, Ed Sullivan was wary of giving network air time to such lewd hell-raisers, and he famously made them change the lyrics of "Let's Spend the Night Together."

I wouldn't get too upset about the censorship. Everyone knew going into this that it was a possibility.
February 6th, 2006 10:44 AM
Gazza Of course they were fucking ragged

This is the Rolling fucking Stones, not the bastarding Eagles or Garth fuckin' Brooks.

Live guitar-driven rock n roll. raw, ragged and dirty.

And the problem with that is what, exactly?
February 6th, 2006 11:53 AM
glencar Agreed! The only way the Stones wouldn't be "ragged" is if they did 3 soft ballads. Ah, the melody...
February 6th, 2006 11:56 AM
Ten Thousand Motels The Stones should have covered "we will rock you" by Queen or "rowdy friends" by Hank Jr.
[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
February 6th, 2006 12:02 PM
the good
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Of course they were fucking ragged

This is the Rolling fucking Stones, not the bastarding Eagles or Garth fuckin' Brooks.

Some people just don't get it Gazza.
February 6th, 2006 12:06 PM
GimmeExile
quote:
Gazza wrote:

AMEN BROTHER!
February 6th, 2006 12:33 PM
jb
quote:
Gazza wrote:

word.............
February 6th, 2006 01:50 PM
Jumacfly
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:
The Stones should have covered "we will rock you" by Queen or "rowdy friends" by Hank Jr.
[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]

Howe could this happen?:o
February 6th, 2006 01:55 PM
Sir Stonesalot >This is the Rolling fucking Stones, not the bastarding Eagles or Garth fuckin' Brooks.<

Since you can't bring yourself to say it...I will:

Or fucking Bon Jovi.
February 6th, 2006 03:15 PM
pdog I have nothing to copy or paste in this thread...
I recorded the game, and watched it last night begining at 11 PM PST. The game was ok, The Stones were great... Just the 6 players, is all we needed... Booby Keys should be up there too. They should tour like that !!!
I would pay $1000.00 to see a 20 song set with just the 4 Stones, Bobby Keys, Daryll and (gulp) Chuck...
February 6th, 2006 03:18 PM
charlotte
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Gazza, I have talked to your boss, feel free to take the rest of the week off...
February 6th, 2006 05:39 PM
Gazza As far as my boss is concerned, I take EVERY week off - even when I'm there

I actually called in this morning to take the morning off. I said two words "Stones" and "Superbowl". He understood.
February 6th, 2006 06:56 PM
PartyDoll MEG
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Nothing at all, Baby!!!

I think I said the exact thing about 50 times to the many moronic people I worked with today!! "Last time I watched the Eagles (only on a TV rerun. Why waste my money), they couldn't fricken get up off their stools," was my statement to them.
February 6th, 2006 07:01 PM
purrcafe Better ragged than slick. Except of course if they were slick the papers would complain that they are too polished.
February 6th, 2006 08:32 PM
Soldatti
quote:
Gazza wrote:
I actually called in this morning to take the morning off. I said two words "Stones" and "Superbowl". He understood.

Send It To Me!!!
February 7th, 2006 12:27 AM
The Wick What these knobs were looking for was a poncey duet with some young shit bag no talent (oh God, how could they have done that shite with Timbershite?). They didn't get some no talent like Mary J. Blige hyped up by the press and clueless fakes like Stink and Elton Clown so they got pissed off. They wanted to hear her sing something like Miss You with her and get a hand job by Boner from U2 while listening, and they didn't, so they're pissed off at the Stones. They can't handle people that truly rock, not Kid the Ponce Rock and Aerogag, and when faced with it, they don't know how to react. So fuck them all and next time they need something to suck on, I have something very large waiting for them.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)