ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Coliseo de San Juan, Purto Rico - February 11, 2006
© Javier J. Freytes, "El Nuevo Día" with thanks to Montana
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Superbowl performance - your verdict Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
February 5th, 2006 10:30 PM
mark Start Me Up and Rough Justice were good. Overall mix could of been tweaked better. Rough Justice was my Stones. Raw and energetic. Couple of sour notes, but I could live with it. Satisfaction though, was a trainwreck. Woody working the whammy bar and Keith meandering in and out of the two string Chuck bends. Musically, it started out OK but ended up in a jumble. Charlie was brilliant as usual.
February 5th, 2006 10:37 PM
FPM C10 Yeah, not bad. I still wish they hadn't done it, but the actual performance was fine.

Keith still had the same clothes on he was wearing earlier this week at the PC.

Censoring the two songs was ridiculous - and both times they cut to a shot of Mick's back, so that at first it seemed like he wasn't singing the offensive lines - but given that the first Super Bowl in 1967 took place the same day the Stones did "Let's Spend Some Time Together" on the Ed Sullivan Show, I guess it has all come full circle, and the world is as stupid now as it was then.
February 5th, 2006 10:39 PM
The Wick The performance was overall, solid. I actually thought the removal of the tongue thing was also deliberate for effect and thought it worked quite well. The shaky start was down more to the sound I thought, but they did sort of mess up SMU's first part. But from then on, I thought it was wonderful, and they proved that they are as good as ever. The only weak spot, and I have said this about the whole tour, Keith is sounding weak and is not playing with that chugging rhythm like he used to. I thought he played the short solo well, but otherwise, nothing spectacular. I think Ronnie Wood showed what he has this entire tour, and that is fantastic playing. I thought he nailed the solos and was superb on Rough Justice. And well, what can you say about Charlie Watts, he was as solid as ever and crisper than any drummer in the world. For all the shite we give him and I do that aplenty, Jagger was magical. He is a fucking master and there has never been anyone nor will there ever be anyone even close to being as good as him. It was a joy to watch him and he can do this for another 60 years, just wonderful stuff from Jagger. His ad libbing also rolled backing the years and it sounded like one of the shows from the 70's.
February 5th, 2006 10:39 PM
Lethargy Usually, these days, Keith or Ronnie is the weak link. Tonight, it looked like both Keith and Ronnie pulled it off -t the guitars sounded great - but JAGGER looked a little off his game. I don't know, no huge mistakes, but a bunch of little things: Mick looked nervous, a little uncomfortable, flubbed of lots of lyrics and rythyms. Don't get me wrong, I loved the sloppiness of it, but Mick just seemed a little off. All in all, though, thumbs up.
February 5th, 2006 10:52 PM
Stonesthrow
quote:
Brainbell Jangler wrote:
An outstanding performance and total redemption of the Salt Lake incident. When Josh and I agree and are joined by the inestimable Maxmeister, you can take it to the bank. Again, how about that Ford spot with someone doing "Down Home Girl"? An ad aimed at the Stones audience, to be sure.

That Ford ad was otherwise nothing special. However, when I heard Down Home Girl, I just about Joey'd a brick. I love DHG, but I would never in a million years expect to hear that on a commercial. Nice surprise.

[Edited by Stonesthrow]
February 5th, 2006 10:57 PM
Egbert I liked it - raw and rough around the edges - just as it should be.
February 5th, 2006 11:10 PM
Poison Dart Stones were great

9 out of 10
February 5th, 2006 11:34 PM
glencar In Rough Justice, Mick's voice was lost in the mix but otherwise, a pretty good show. Someone at work told me that they played SMU, Satisfaction & "some other song in the middle but it was pretty good."
February 5th, 2006 11:35 PM
sammy davis jr. 8 out of 10.....
Guitar mix was screwed, in fact overall mix was shitty....I thought Keith was the weak link tonight. Mick wasn't on his "A" game, but did a nice job. I thought Satisfaction was weak song as well....Keith's solo was nothing to write home about. It's a shame the mix wasn't better. I mean it is the Rolling Stones!
February 5th, 2006 11:37 PM
glencar Funny thing: when football coverage returns, you can Bon Jovi's "It's My Life" playing. It really sucks.
February 5th, 2006 11:48 PM
PolkSalad my mom pointed out Mick's flabby arms. she's his age and was laughing her ass off the whole time. better than last year's half time sho for sure...
February 6th, 2006 12:39 AM
time is on my side My view is that the STONES more or less played it safe and pulled off a fairly good performance given the circumstances though there was nothing really special or memorable about it. They left an overall good impression in the small amount of TIME they were afforded.

I liked the stage set up. Wouldn't mind seeing that incorporated into some of their upcoming shows. As many before me have already pointed out, they messed up the beginning to Start Me UP and the mix seemed a little off throughout. However, it seemed to me like they were just getting started and just like that they were into Satisfaction fixing to leave the stage.

Overall, I would give it a 6 1/2 or maybe 7 out of 10. Looking forward to see them in a few days here in Atlanta.
February 6th, 2006 01:15 AM
Ramrod As usual, I haven't had the opportunity of seeing the superbowl performance yet, but it sounds like the hardcore fans loved it. I think their choice of songs was good.... 2 very well known crowd pleasers for the average audience member plus 1 new song from ABB. You gotta remember that the majority of the crowd were probably your typical church on Sunday Bush voting conspicuous consumer types, not at all Stones fans. Real stuffed shirts.

For a setlist to really get em going I would suggest Some Girls, followed by Cocksucker blues and then rounded off with Just Wanna See His Face. But that would be the last time they would ever be on prime time in America!!!!!
February 6th, 2006 01:36 AM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
Ramrod wrote:
rounded off with Just Wanna See His Face. But that would be the last time they would ever be on prime time in America!!!!!

ha...funny i was thinking that on the weekend..that if they really wanted to be controversial and get people upset forget lyrics with sexual double entendres rather start singing about Jesus!!
February 6th, 2006 01:40 AM
JuanTCB I'm gonna go with 8.5 out of 10 as far as their performance is concerned (not counting problems in the sound booth).

The guitars were loud and thick, Charlie was great and having a blast, Ronnie cured his ADD for 10 minutes (he lost it during the last two when he came down with the tropical disease known as "whammy bar fever", the last outbreak of which was when he was cracked out in '82), Mick was super but did get a bit winded - he made up for it with an excellent Satisfaction, and Keith quit the posing and just held down the rhythm, though I didn't think his solos cut through (but I think that's mainly due to his choice of guitars - that hollow-bodied Gibson just doesn't have much bite).

A lot of people (mainly non-Stones fans) thought it was boring. Compared to the pre-recorded backing track gimmicry of Macca & the Beatles songs or U2 & the list of 9/11 casualties (call me a cynic - sorry) or Aerosmith with Britney, etc. ... the eternal lesson holds true - most people are really, really stupid and have shit taste in music, culture, and life.

Going into the game, my biggest fear was that they'd crumble under pressure and look bad, or old, or spent. I thought they'd pull it off and be merely good; I hoped for very good. I thought they were great - MSG great, even.

No humiliation from Detroit in front of 20% of the world tonight!
February 6th, 2006 03:26 AM
egon Torrent.....?
February 6th, 2006 04:14 AM
exile anyone got a link for a download? I missed it caught a bit on the news
February 6th, 2006 05:47 AM
egon In Dutch

http://www.telegraaf.nl/prive/33028931/ABC_knipt_in_Stones-songs.html
February 6th, 2006 06:59 AM
Jumping Jack I fear for my safety because the roof will be blown off Phillips arena on Wednesday!!!
February 6th, 2006 07:06 AM
exile maybe some kind soul can upload some video files of the performance. I am forever optimistic
February 6th, 2006 07:08 AM
Dick Bush FUCKING COOL SHOW!!
February 6th, 2006 08:53 AM
JumpingKentFlash It was SO FUCKING GREAT!!!!! BETTER THAN Brussels 73.
It REALLY rocked like hell.
February 6th, 2006 09:06 AM
Ihavelotsajam
quote:
PolkSalad wrote:
my mom pointed out Mick's flabby arms.

I'd kill for those "flabby" arms... your mother is high.
February 6th, 2006 09:20 AM
the worst kinda guy ABC TV sucks ass. once again the censorship machine was working. censored the word cum from start me up and censored
the word cocks from rough justice. the united states and the fcc are very narrow minded and backwards.
February 6th, 2006 09:36 AM
gimmekeef Far better than expected...7/10....JJF as the opener might have worked better.But considering the venue etc they pulled it off.It was actually fun to see the guys kinda nervous..and they were....lot at stake...Then the big grins at the end...All around good and a delight during a very boring game...
February 6th, 2006 09:36 AM
Joey

OUTSTANDING PERFORMANCE by the band ....

At " Barry O's " bar last night the crowd gave the Rolling Stones' Halftime Concert a standing ovation . Word .

February 6th, 2006 09:52 AM
Lil Brian
quote:
Mel Belli wrote: All in all, competent, but they were on the brink of disaster...

Perfect! Just the way I like 'em.
February 6th, 2006 10:08 AM
sirmoonie The Steelers are on record as saying the Stones were the best and inspired them to the victory.
February 6th, 2006 10:25 AM
Saint Sway Excellent Performance!!!!

They absolutely rose to the occassion! A fine job!

I was fearing a Salt Lake Incident II - but the boys were at their A-Game. Awesome! Well done!
February 6th, 2006 11:22 AM
glencar
quote:
Ramrod wrote:
As usual, I haven't had the opportunity of seeing the superbowl performance yet, but it sounds like the hardcore fans loved it. I think their choice of songs was good.... 2 very well known crowd pleasers for the average audience member plus 1 new song from ABB. You gotta remember that the majority of the crowd were probably your typical church on Sunday Bush voting conspicuous consumer types, not at all Stones fans. Real stuffed shirts.

For a setlist to really get em going I would suggest Some Girls, followed by Cocksucker blues and then rounded off with Just Wanna See His Face. But that would be the last time they would ever be on prime time in America!!!!!

This might surprise you but even those Bush voters know good rock & rollw ehn they see it. At a couple of Dem boards I lurk at, it was all "those guys are still around?" & "They're too old to still be doing that." I'm guessing that the Stones went over better with Nascar types than the brie & wine set.
Page: 1 2 3
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)