ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Recording "I Wanna Be Your Man" - De Lane Lee Studios, London 7th October 1963
© Gus Coral
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Under My Thumb, '97-'98 Return to archive
02-03-04 10:00 PM
Child of the Moon One of the things that interests me most about the Stones is how they interpret their own songs in live performance throughout the years. One song I've been curious about is Under My Thumb on the Bridges to Babylong tour. Anyone actually hear them do this song on the tour? How was it? Did it resemble the '81 version, or did it get the "studio" treatment?

And speaking of which, anyone ever hear Ruby Tuesday from '67? Or No Expectations in '73?
02-03-04 11:00 PM
voodoopug I heard it opening night in chigago on b2b and it was more resembling to the studio version...much mellower than the 81 version....i quite liked it!
02-03-04 11:19 PM
M.O.W.A.T. They played it in Quebec City as the Web-choice song.
02-03-04 11:30 PM
kahoosier Can you find it on the net anywhere to download?
02-03-04 11:36 PM
M.O.W.A.T. There is a boot of the Quebec show out there called "Wild Hoarses in Quebec". The show had a shortened set than the other shows on the BTB tour because Mick was suffering from laryngitis that night. I haven't seen it on any P2P sites in a long time (I had most of the show downloaded from Napster before the Metallica protest) but it is out there somewhere.
02-03-04 11:53 PM
parmeda
quote:
M.O.W.A.T. wrote:
They played it in Quebec City as the Web-choice song.

They did the same thing with it in Chicago on opening night.
I have to agree with voodoopug. It was toned down a bit. ( I'm very partial to AFTERMATH...) However, Mick was able to rip the vocals from down deep in his throat...the snarls were priceless.

Back in '81...the three shows that I saw, opened with UMT.
And I saw three different renditions. One of which I thought was totally lack-luster from what I expected (Rockford, IL). A month later and 2 more shows under my belt, they had time to 'practice' and it was polished. I remember Wyman's bass...you could feel every beat. Mick... it was an opening number and I think he was too busy working the stage in his spandex, lol...he was talking through the motions it seemed. I wouldn't say it was a studio version, but more of an impression grabber to set the pace of the evening. They came out and kicked everyone's ass with it.
02-04-04 03:35 AM
dealer squealing the 1997-8 version was horrible.
02-04-04 05:01 AM
JumpingKentFlash I think I have it on the "Web Choices" boot. Good version, but not better than the '69 or '81 versions.
02-04-04 05:45 AM
Jumacfly Sloppy, cheesy, chucky, that s how was UMT in 1998...
02-04-04 06:07 AM
shakedhandswithkeith yes, I saw the song in Nuernberg 98 /web choice) and was surprised. I wished they played the ´81 version, but they played a boring slow version that remembers to the studio version. but it wasn`t the song of the night.

btw keith played the complete 97/98 tour Wanna Hold You in a asskicking rock version, I wish he will play more numbers like these and I bet that nobody will take the time during Keith Songs to buy beer

Little T&A for Keith and not 2 ballads!

02-04-04 10:05 AM
Lazy Bones
quote:
Child of the Moon wrote:
Or No Expectations in '73?

Only played once that year - 18 January in Los Angeles.
02-04-04 11:26 AM
Nasty Habits
quote:
voodoopug wrote:
I heard it opening night in chigago on b2b and it was more resembling to the studio version...much mellower than the 81 version....i quite liked it!

I liked that version, too. I haven't heard any others from that tour, but being there it seemed very spontaneous -- I remember a lot of Jagger-Band interaction as if they didn't quite have the arrangement worked out for it, which was pretty exciting to witness. Haven't heard it in a long time (I think it is on a Piece of Gold?) but it was cool as it happened. Much more '69 than '81, that's for sure.

02-04-04 03:15 PM
Child of the Moon Thanks everyone! Now here's my second question: Are there any good recordings out there that I can find of this particular version? Suggestions?
02-04-04 06:28 PM
glencar I know it's on "You Get The Best Of Me" which is the aforementioned web choice compilation. I join the otehrs who liked 1981 much more.
02-04-04 07:12 PM
Saint Sway I agree. BTB version sounded like the studio version, which I dont like either.

I REALLY REALLY like the 81 version. Great example of taking one of their weaker and slightly outdated songs and CRANKING it up and giving a new riff heavy sound

same with Lets Spend The Nite... BTB version was weak. I wasnt crazy about the 81 version but at least it had balls

they need to crank up the guitars again and get juiced up and sloppy. Hammer shit out. I dont want to hear a show like I'm listening to a record. I want KEEEEEEF!!!
02-04-04 08:00 PM
gotdablouse The 1981 version was absolutely superb, even as captured on Still Life or the LSTNT video. Play that at full throttle and get shivers down your spine, to me that's what the Stone are about. Some nasty guitar weaving, a rolling bass line. It's the song that made me pick Still Life over Macca's Ram as a present in 1982 ;-)

The shows were still "raw" in 1981, and the 5 guys (+Stu and Mac) had to bust their ass each night, no "elevator music" pros like Chukster or Blondie to fill in the gaps and build a tepid atmosphere. It's no surprise that in 97/98, they tried to copy the studio versions, just playing it safe and brains/imagination in cruise control. This makes me mad, mad, mad!
02-05-04 12:04 AM
Scottfree
quote:
gotdablouse wrote:
The 1981 version was absolutely superb, even as captured on Still Life or the LSTNT video. Play that at full throttle and get shivers down your spine, to me that's what the Stone are about. Some nasty guitar weaving, a rolling bass line. It's the song that made me pick Still Life over Macca's Ram as a present in 1982 ;-)

The shows were still "raw" in 1981, and the 5 guys (+Stu and Mac) had to bust their ass each night, no "elevator music" pros like Chukster or Blondie to fill in the gaps and build a tepid atmosphere. It's no surprise that in 97/98, they tried to copy the studio versions, just playing it safe and brains/imagination in cruise control. This makes me mad, mad, mad!

I commend you on your post, fore I feel the same way.....The version of "Just my Immagination," on that tour was friggin sublime, and BEAST OF BURDEN was great as well.....Well I loved 81, I have a boot called Time is on our Side, which is a SB from Wash DC, it's just incredible.........
02-05-04 12:06 AM
exilestones@netscape Chicago 97 under my thumb is a great version and one of the rehearsals that is around is hot.

BEST VIEWED HIGH