ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Recording "I Wanna Be Your Man" - De Lane Lee Studios, London 7th October 1963
© Gus Coral
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Clapton's Robert Johnson Record Return to archive
02-03-04 10:46 AM
Ten Thousand Motels Eric Clapton Gives (More) Props To Robert Johnson
Monday February 02,
Eric Clapton

Rock legend Eric Clapton will be paying homage to the artist that undoubtedly is his biggest inspiration.

"It is a remarkable thing to have been driven and influenced all my life by the work of one man… I am talking, of course, about the work of Robert Johnson," Clapton said in a statement.

Throughout his career, Clapton has done several Johnson covers, but his new album, Me And Mr. Johnson, will mark the first time he has dedicate an entire album to his work.

Early in his career Johnson was criticized for his shabby guitar skills, but he quickly developed into a great guitar player and artist as a whole. In fact, he became so good that a rumour began that he sold his soul to the devil in exchange for his gifted talent. He died at the tender age of 27 in 1938, leaving a legacy of mystery and intrigue.

Although Johnson only released two recordings, he is regarded as one of the greatest blues musicians of all time and has also been covered by The Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, Red Hot Chili Peppers and The White Stripes.

In addition to Me And Mr. Johnson, scheduled for a March 23 release, Clapton will be releasing a new album of original work later in the year.

—Andre Mihsin
02-03-04 10:48 AM
nankerphelge Do they give a track listing -- will be interesting to see what he chose.
02-03-04 10:50 AM
GimmeExile Great! Now when is the tour gonna hit the U.S.?
02-03-04 10:57 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
nankerphelge wrote:
Do they give a track listing -- will be interesting to see what he chose.

CProduced by Eric Clapton and Simon Climie, "Me And Mr. Johnson" features the following Robert Johnson perennials: "When You Got A Good Friend," "Little Queen Of Spades," "They're Red Hot," "Me And The Devil Blues," "Traveling Riverside Blues," "Last Fair Deal Gone Down," "Stop Breakin' Down Blues," "Milkcow's Calf Blues," "Kindhearted Woman Blues," "Come On In My Kitchen," "If I Had Possession Over Judgment Day," "Love In Vain," "32-20 Blues" and "Hellhound On My Trail."

02-03-04 01:25 PM
Martha TOUR TOUR TOUR TOUR TOUR TOUR TOUR TOUR!

hehehe!
02-03-04 01:40 PM
Scottfree Clappner lives down the street from me in Columbus, Ohio, I snubbed him at a place called Spagio, I wonder how he felt......
02-03-04 02:22 PM
Child of the Moon Sounds like a good disc! I'm happy to see Me and the Devil Blues and They're Red Hot.
02-03-04 05:20 PM
gotdablouse Isn't Simon Climie the "techie atmospheric" guy behind the dreary sounding "Pilgrim"...wonder how that fits onto a blues record.

Un any case, gotta give credit to Clapton for keeping his fans awake with new projects, unlike Keith & Co who think that staging mega buck tours is of interest to anyone but their egos....
02-03-04 10:36 PM
Steel Wheels Clapton's fans are awake...how else would they find the exits?
02-03-04 11:59 PM
parmeda This little gem shines out a ray of light at the end of March... *said with a raised eyebrow*

...yessssss!

02-04-04 12:09 AM
Martha TOUR TOUR TOUR TOUR TOUR TOUR TOUR TOUR
and play the entire track-list!

My idea of heaven.
02-04-04 11:29 AM
sirfito I agree: TOUR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Cheers,
Fito
02-04-04 01:46 PM
FM The musicians on the album are -

Eric Clapton (vocals, guitar)
Andy Fairweather Low (guitar)
Doyle Bramhall II (guitar)
Billy Preston (keyboards)
Jerry Portnoy (harmonica)
Nathan East (bass)
Steve Gadd (drums)

Fraser
02-04-04 02:09 PM
tumblingdice01 We see Clapton on 9 Apr in Antwerp. We'll be sure to let you know what he plays!

BEST VIEWED HIGH