ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Recording "I Wanna Be Your Man" - De Lane Lee Studios, London 7th October 1963
© Gus Coral
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Plans for Stone's 2004-2005 tour? Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
02-01-04 03:55 PM
parmeda They won't have to 'splain' nothing, lol...I'll be with those two and let's just say that I have a way with workin' the crowds
02-01-04 05:26 PM
LadyJane Well...I think we will have to assemble the entire RO Ladies Mick Jumping team for this adventure.

Pammy and Lux will have to fight over Mick. I'm heading straight to Mr. Richards...we are long overdue for a nice chat!!!!

LJ.

02-02-04 09:21 AM
Snappy McJack Let's hope that they can get more songs in per show.

Holy lord, I just saw that Bowie gets about 27 songs in. The Stones keep decreasing the amount of songs they play per tour and increase ticket prices per tour. Correlation? I don't think so!!!
02-02-04 08:09 PM
LuckyWithTheLadies My humble thoughts:

Ticket prices have GOT to be lower. Rolling Stone's shows are turning into status symbol events. As Mick points out in 4 Flicks, people are going to Rolling Stone's concerts just to show the world that they can afford the outrageous ticket price. That is not what rock n roll is about, which coincidently is something he didn't point out. When Elvis got old he went to Vegas. When the Stones got old they took Vegas on the road. I unfortunately didnt get to go any of the shows on this tour, but the DVD of Twincky's Ham looks way too much like something you'd see in Vegas. Sparks flowing down the video screens, balls of fire bursting out of the top. What's next? lions on stage? dancing chorus girls? exploding volcanoes? Come to think of it, that last one would work good during the last lines of Start Me Up. Just kidding.

There has GOT to be fewer backup musicians on stage. Or at least there has got to be less dependence on backup musicians. When Keith can stop playing quitar during Jumping Jack Flash, lean on his amps, strike a pose for those in the front rows, and it has almost no discernable effect on the sound coming out of the sound system something is drasticaly wrong. Try doing that on any tour before and including 81.

As Alice Cooper said, "If I may put forth a piece of personal philosphy," I think they should throw caution to the wind and do something crazy. Like how bout doing a US tour (maybe make it permanently ongoing) of unannouced club gigs or theatre or areana shows only announced a few days or hours before the show, creating pantimoniam(sp?). Rolling Stone's shows would become crazy again and maybe a little dangerous too. With a reinstated Bill Wyman, and only Bobby Keyes, one or two chick backup singers, and someone one other than Chuck level on a real piano. If Bill don't wanna fly, send him by boats, limos, whatever. There doesn't need to be any big hurry about getting to the next gig. These guys are billionaires they can come and go as they please. It could be done. Wouldn't make any money but could be done.

Or even crazier how bout an unannounced, unadvertised European club tour with just Mick, Keith, and a DJ. I am probably alone on this message board in thinking the Techno/Dance remixes of Sympathy for the Devil and Miss You are the shit. I think it would be awesome to hear Mick and Keith lay down some vocals and quitar licks while a live techno mix is being done. I realize that it would be very hard to pull off and not look really stupid and open the lads up for some scatheing critisim in the music press. But they are already playing live over a DJ mix in Sympathy for the Devil. Hell, Kid Rock is making a career out of playing classic rock live with a DJ. It could be done. Wouldn't make any money but could be done.

However, I agree though with the previous poster, huge stadium shows are what the Stones are all about. It is the image they have with the public and part of their drawing power. As Charlie Watts says the Rolling Stones have always been about having a huge following. So I don't know that there is any completely escaping stadium shows. However, I have to disaggree with posters that think dragging out some obscure track off of side two of a UK LP recorded before they hit it big in the States is the answer. Actually, I dont know if Around and Around or Down the Road Apiece fits that bill or not. But I sure as heck don't wanna hear either of those, not with the current Stones line up anyways. Not Fade Away was bad enough, in my opinon. And please no more Midnight Rambler in stadiums. It just don't work in a venue that large and impersonal. In my opinion it was the absolute worst moment in the Steel Wheels tour. No amount of cascading sparks, shooting flames, or risque cartoons are gunna make it work. Not that I am at all opposed to that sort of thing. I think the Rammstein DVD shows what can be done with pryotechnics, as does the Twinckenham show. And only a real sour puss, as Keith says, wouldn't like the cartoon girl during Honky Tonk Women.
Page: 1 2 3

BEST VIEWED HIGH