ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Till the next time... we say goodbye
MGM Grand, Las Vegas - February 8, 2003
Background image by Li'l Red Rooooooooooooooooooooostah for Rooster Productions Lsd.

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Guitar mix? Return to archive
02-04-03 07:27 PM
ShannonDC I'm just getting back on-line after the Denver show and was wondering how the mix sounded to others. From where I was (good seat, 4 rows off the floor), Keith was unbearably loud for over 1/2 the show. I could hardly hear Ronnie except for a few solos. The mix on the small stage was great for me - I could hear every single note any of them played. I love Keith, but he overpowered the horns, bass, drums, keyboard for much of the show. And what happened to Johnny Lang's solo? Was he plugged in? Didn't the sound man know he'd be sitting in? I couldn't hear a note.

But I thought it was a great show despite some really rough moments in the first 5 songs. Great crowd too.

Shannon
02-04-03 08:45 PM
gypsymofo60
quote:
ShannonDC wrote:
I love Keith, but he overpowered the keyboard for much of the show

Shannon

And The Savage Youngun is jumping Jack Flashing for joy! "TURN THAT MOTHERFUCKIN'LEVEALL DOWN"
02-04-03 10:35 PM
woodywoodpecker Just watched HBO again in Keith is way too Loud.
Drown's out the whole band. Keith your solo's are terrible
wish you would leave them for ronnie.
02-04-03 10:37 PM
Scottfree Not all of Keefs solos are terrible, just most....
02-05-03 12:05 AM
woodywoodpecker yeah correct,scotfree!
If find it a touch emabarassing when I watch Keith Cover the rythym/The solo's song after song. Umm what's Ronnie doing in the band? I honestly think keef's solo's are terrible compared to let say Bitch (Sticky Fingers, now that's magic)Sympathy (Beggars again fantastic)Now he play's Blues scales mixed with too much major country scales.
Ronnie's the man (when he gets a chance) to add that spark and energy which really ignites the song;s IMO
Some of my fav live tracks are All down the Line/Black Limo/Gimmie Shelter/Dead Flowers all from the stripped sessions ronnie's tearing the songs to pieces.
02-05-03 09:46 AM
sammy davis jr. I've said it once, I'll say it again....There must be an unwritten rule that Keith is to be louder than Ron in the mix. I mean it is him and Jaggers band, at least in their eyes. I also agree that Keith is no longer a lead player, not that he ever was really. "Whip" from the HBO special is a prime example. He plays lead nearly throughout the entire song, killing the rythymn of the whole song. On the other hand, Keith plays some beautiful guitar parts on Thru and Thru.
02-05-03 12:39 PM
lucasd4 What are you people talking about??? Keith's guitar SHOULD be the loudest sound you hear at a Stones concert....he's been way too low in the mix on past tours and he wasn't playing half the time anyway...he's playing better than he has in 25+ years on this tour and he's mixed way up front--right where he should be
02-05-03 01:07 PM
justforyou Listen to the official rcfc.com release of Dead Flowers from Vegas and the guitar mix has Keiths guitar lower than Ronnie's. So is it an official rule ? Sounds nice that version, with Keith rhythm soloing most of the time...I really like the guitar sound he has there.

On HBO's Whip, you really have to concentrate to make out what Ronnie's playing which surely can't help the old weave!

I like looking at Charlie...when he sees the weave and gets all happy!
02-05-03 01:24 PM
sandrew The worst part of the HBO special was "Sympathy." Keith's playing was the worst I've ever heard from him - endless, aimless noodling.

On second viewing, I was kinda disappointed with the HBO special. It was a lot sloppier than I remembered from the live telecast, during which I was delightfully sozzled.

"Midnight Rambler" was one of the few really strong perfomances of the night, the tightest I've heard them on that since Atlantic City '89.

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST