ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Till the next time... we say goodbye
MGM Grand, Las Vegas - February 8, 2003
Background image by Li'l Red Rooooooooooooooooooooostah for Rooster Productions Lsd.

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: I Wish Macca would Let It Be!!! Return to archive Page: 1 2
02-04-03 11:02 AM
VirginiaMonkeyMan This guy really thinks he's something else...Hey, maybe Keith can release a Dust Brothersless "babylon"

Just a couple of weeks ago, Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr announced they were going to release a Spector-less Let It Be, restoring the album to McCartney's original vision. Maybe this upset him.
02-04-03 11:04 AM
jb Macca has become such a jerk in recent years, that even his fans most be repelled by his pettiness....
02-04-03 11:11 AM
telecaster
quote:
jb wrote:
Macca has become such a jerk in recent years, that even his fans most be repelled by his pettiness....

I think is doing ANYTHING to get out of the house and
away from his new bride.

02-04-03 11:14 AM
jb Too much tofu has stuck to his brain....what a disgrace to Lennon's and his late wife's memory...
02-04-03 05:39 PM
Stonesthrow >>what a disgrace to Lennon's and his late wife's memory...

If I were a callous jerk, I would make a snide remark about Lennon's late wife's memory. Since I am not, I'll just bite my lip and move on. I do however, wonder about Jb's statement. Either he meant it as a snide remark about Ono; or he mistakenly believes she is dead; or he knows where the body is buried. Which is it?

02-04-03 05:46 PM
Moonisup macca, well his guitar should be put in his ass
02-04-03 05:52 PM
throbby Stonesthrow wrote:
If I were a callous jerk, I would make a snide remark about Lennon's late wife's memory. Since I am not, I'll just bite my lip and move on. I do however, wonder about Jb's statement. Either he meant it as a snide remark about Ono; or he mistakenly believes she is dead; or he knows where the body is buried. Which is it?

Surely you know JB is speaking of Paul's late wife Linda.

02-04-03 05:54 PM
exile ok
have a listen to Macca's solo work (wings etc all that crap)
then listen to John Lennons solo work

its plain to see who was the real genius in the beatles and who was the freeloader

just my opinion

BTW Voodoochilde sent me "Too many Cooks" the other day its a great song
02-04-03 06:51 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy I dunno, Exile - you listen to some of McCartney's solo work ("Band On The Run", "Jet", "Let Me Roll It", "Live And Let Die", "Rinse The Raindrops", "Souvenir", the entirety of Run Devil Run, etc.) and ther're real classics in there. When he drops the terrible pop artist crap and actually plays some music (which he's been doing more and more intermittantly, regrettably - although his most recent studio album gave me some hope), he's damn good.

I was actually not that impressed at our buddy Sir Paul recently, very kinda down on him, *especially* for dropping the Australia shows - what a dickhead for that! But my father got me his DVD for Christmas, and I watched the soundchecks, and damnit, if McCartney had played small theaters just covering old blues and rock songs, it would have been a mind-blowing revival. Instead, he dragged out the same setlist night after night... he was still good, but he was *boring* in comparison to The Stones. His soundcheck songs on the DVD were "Matchbox", "Bring It To Jerome", and "Midnight Special", and they blew me away. "Midnight Special" in particular - it just came out of nowhere, and there was something simple and heartwarming about it, maybe because he sang it like he meant it rather than all those crappy pop ballads he wrote in the seventies. It was almost like something the Faces would have done.

As for Lennon - I'm sorry to say it, but it's true - people give him more credit because of the way he died. Lennon did have some great numbers in his solo carrer. But he also had a lot of pretentious artsy bullshit, and I think he'd freely admit that, especially in his pre "Lost Weekend" work. But because his death was one of the catalysts of that horrid period known as "The Eighties" (which according to various sources lasted from around 1978 to 1992), people remember him as a symbol of happier times rather than as a musician. Just as McCartney needed Lennon to give him a real creative edge and not dull himself into some sort of pop composer, Lennon needed McCartney to keep himself grounded. While the two of them did have some great solo work after the breakup of that Other British Band, they really did compliment each other most as a team.

-tSYX --- Let the midnight special, shine her light on me...
02-04-03 06:59 PM
Prodigal Son Although John's music had the tendency to be self-centred, preachy, miserable and angry it was mostly pretty good. Meanwhile Paul's was conservative, trite, too happy, lme and poppy. And most of the time I prefer John. The two's deficiencies proved what they were without each other; back when the problems got balanced out by the other. But aside Band on the Run, Flowers in the Dirt, Flaming Pie and Venus & Mars, there's no album Paul's done that even matches John's worst (barring the horrible sound collage ones with Yoko, his worst was Some Time in New York City).
And now he wants to remaster Let it Be to how he wants it? It should be better and more rock-spirited, I'll give you that. But why can't he wait to put together the original planned Get Back album now that tracks have been recovered? Then he can make it how he wanted. But no, Paul wants it done now so he can get lots of press attention and money, money, money. What a self-centred airhead. If Ringo passes away and Paul's still there, he'll begin to take credit for everything the Beatles ever did and he'll always ramble on about how great it was and how he IS the Beatles. If John were around, he'd be saying, "Look, it was great and fun but that's all in the past. It's about today for me." That's the way I'd like to look at it.
02-04-03 07:22 PM
exile yes TheSavageYoungXyzzy ill give you "Band on the Run" and "Live and let Die" are great songs probably classics
but dont compare to # Instant Karma, # (Just Like) Starting Over, # Woman, # Jealous Guy
But like i said only my opinion

Maybe just for me Johns work just had more soul than Pauls

Johns colaberations with Yoko i mean "Rock and roll circus" that one should have been on cutting room floor thank god Yoko stopped releasing records.

I also agree they used to compliment each other john and paul

I saw Paul and his band (yes with Linda on tanborine and taking photos) at Sydney Entertainment centre about 12 years ago and it was a good show very enjoyable
much of the show centred apon his beatles numbers of course which i dont blame him as thats what everyone came to see

I just think its great that the Stones have remained so true after all these years and are still so fucking cool

[Edited by exile]
02-04-03 07:22 PM
Stonesthrow Throbby-- The way Jb structured the sentence, it could be read as Lennon and his (meaning Lennon's as opposed to McCartney's) late wife. Assuming your interpretation is correct, Jb should have said Lennon along with McCartney's (not his)late wife. Being something of a cynic, I was hoping he really meant it as a comment about Ono.

02-04-03 07:37 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy Prodigal - you liked Flowers In The Dirt? I bought it a few weeks ago - I thought it was TERRIBLE. One of McCartney's worst efforts ever. Terrible, uninspired late-80s powerpop. Only decent song was "My Brave Face", and even that was a little too power-poppy to be anything other than forgettable.

-tSYX --- Ou Est Le Soueil... blah blah blah blah blah puke.
02-04-03 07:47 PM
100 Years Ago uh, isn't this a Stones board? what's with all this Beatles talk?

Stones dammit STONES!!!!

02-04-03 09:52 PM
Nasty Habits
quote:
TheSavageYoungXyzzy wrote:
Prodigal - you liked Flowers In The Dirt? I bought it a few weeks ago - I thought it was TERRIBLE. One of McCartney's worst efforts ever. Terrible, uninspired late-80s powerpop. Only decent song was "My Brave Face", and even that was a little too power-poppy to be anything other than forgettable.

-tSYX --- You Eat Le Soil... blah blah blah blah blah puke.

Xyzzy --

I really hate to say this, but I am declaring war on you. During my first year of college, I roomed with a guy who LOVED Flowers in the Dirt and played it more often than I care to think about. And while that album is actually a whole lot less sucky than most Paul McCartney albums*, that "Ou Est Le Soooie" song was very very very bad. Bad! Title track to GITD bad. I Love Ladies bad. Billy Preson synths on Brown Sugar '75 bad. BAD! and reading those words in YOUR post brought all the horror of that song rushing back into my head from 15 (?) years ago, in all its atrocity.

I don't care that you didn't mean to offend me, but you have �WOUNDED! me, sir! I am now in the fits of severe mental anguish, with that annoying cackling French guy yelling the lyrics at me from across a decade and a half. I have no recourse -- it's war. I declare war on you for one week.

The only way you can halt this terrible situation is if you go up there & edit your post so I don't have to look at those lyrics ever again. Do that, and I will understand that you did not mean to attack me, and I will pull my forces back.

In happier news, I listened to the Car Wash soundtrack and Bo Carter's Greatest Hits all day today and although Rose Royce are no Bo Carter, that soundtrack is great, and I Wanna Get with You is right up there with Jimmy Cliff's "Sitting in Limbo" for smile bringing surrender. The sweetest smooth soul sound I've had my attention directed towards in quite some time.

* especially if you ever had to suffer your high school Beatlephiliac friends trying to justify the existence of, say, No More Lonely Nights or Press to Play when they were new (at least I could hold up Dirty Work with PRIDE!). Believe me, if you were around it at the time, FITD was a breath of slightly nicer smelling shit from Paul McCartney.
02-04-03 10:01 PM
gypsy I like both Lennon & McCartney's post-Beatles work. But, I think they are definitely over-rated.
Does anyone else remember years ago when McCartney sued Sesame Street for copyright infringement on "Let It Be?" They (Sesame Street) had changed "Let It Be" around to "Letter B" for a song about...the letter "B."
02-04-03 10:21 PM
Nasty Habits
quote:
gypsy wrote:

Does anyone else remember years ago when McCartney sued Sesame Street for copyright infringement on "Let It Be?" They (Sesame Street) had changed "Let It Be" around to "Letter B" for a song about...the letter "B."

That's just terrible! If that story is true I declare war on Paul McCartney, too!

02-04-03 10:46 PM
gypsy The story is true. I remember it on the news when I was just a kid...late '70's, I believe. I'll look it up when I have more time.
02-05-03 02:28 AM
Cant Catch Me I wish that "Macca" would start going by his eff'ing REAL name, dammit, which is Paul McCartney, not this damn Macca shit and please, please, don't make me puke, never Sir Paul!

Is it a British thing? Cuz' it only makes me think of macadamia nuts, macadam asphalt, the "Macarena" or, especially here in America, McDonald's. No matter what he thinks, he is not such an institution that he should go by a ridiculously common two-syllable prefix.
02-05-03 04:57 AM
Honky Tonk Man Firstly, people have been calling him Macca since day one and secondly, his real name ISN'T Paul McCartney. At least not in that order. His first name is James. Paul is his middle name

Alex
02-05-03 06:32 AM
F505 His first name is James. Paul is his middle name

Alex

thank you Pete!
02-05-03 09:39 AM
sammy davis jr. A disgrace to John's memory? You mean John the drug addled, wife-beating, "peace-loving" hypocrite? I don't think Paul could ever tarnish John's reputation.
02-05-03 09:55 AM
jb Sammy, you glass eyed douche...stop fawning all over Macca!
[Edited by jb]
02-05-03 10:36 AM
dkmonroe Assuming this is about the forthcoming Spector-less "Let It Be", I for one will be pleased to hear it. I think that the Spector version sounded like Muzak.

And I think that if you compiled the truly enjoyable songs in JL's solo output, you'd have one really short CD. His solo work is grotesquely overrated.

With PM, you'd have maybe one double CD. Slim pickin's for both, but JL had some really unlistenable horrors in his collection.
02-05-03 10:38 AM
jb Who cares about the Beatles!!!!!!!
02-05-03 01:25 PM
jb Fuck the beatles..
02-05-03 01:41 PM
Joey " Fuck the beatles.................... "

Josh , you make Joey very sad .

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{ J. C. }}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}
02-05-03 02:04 PM
Moonisup he does not make Rik sad
02-05-03 02:40 PM
jb Hello Rik!!! Where you been? Still waiting on my shoes.
02-05-03 03:55 PM
Cant Catch Me Okay then, somebody was bound to point out that technicality, how about James Paul "MotherfACCA" McCartney then, or "Sir MotherfACCA" ... ?
Page: 1 2

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST