ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Till the next time... we say goodbye
MGM Grand, Las Vegas - February 8, 2003
Background image by Li'l Red Rooooooooooooooooooooostah for Rooster Productions Lsd.

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Dan does Phoenix Return to archive
02-04-03 12:57 AM
Dan This show was never even considered until a few weeks ago. While inquiring about a possible ride to Las Vegas, I was offered one to Phoenix. It was very tempting, and I started to catch the fever again. I didn�t make up my mind for good until my $50 hotel bid on Priceline was accepted.
I was never able to find an acceptable single but I scored a pair that was too good to pass up. Went to the arena as soon as we arrived in Phoenix around 2p.m. It was originally intended to be a simple recon mission before heading to the hotel. Instead I was able to sell the extra ticket within minutes thus relieving myself of the last bit of anxiety surrounding the trip. I just wish I had more time prior to the event to find someone who wanted to go as that ticket was too much of a sacred item to sell to a stranger on the street.
Went to the GG at Cooperstown before the show. Saw a few familiar faces and met a few familiar names for the first time. Had a few beers, talk to some Stones fans. Met a few with the same game plan as me. Very encouraging to see so many people picking up the hobby. Walked in just as Jonny Lang was finishing. Did I miss anything?
Found my seat, section 117X row 18 looking directly down on the stage, Ronnie�s side. I think it was even better than San Diego as it was a more direct angle.
I was hoping for a different opener but it was �Street Fighting Man� again. In theory, its great as an opener, but not when the mix is weak therefore opening with a throwaway song such as �You Got Me Rocking� or �Its Only Rock N Roll� would work much better. There was a noticeable improvement in clarity and volume during �All Down The Line� .
This was my 5th show of the tour, not much else I can say except it was another Stones show, no more no less. I am just content to sit in my living room and let the music speak for itself over and over again. I was elated to finally see them do �Wild Horses� which has always been at the top of my wish list but never seen them play it before. It was the first time I had seen �Sympathy For The Devil� at an indoor arena this tour. The whole stage was bathed in red light with the flaming tongue on the video screen. Mick was also wearing a red leather jacket with black pants and a black tongue logo shirt. Much more demonic looking than the goofy thing he was wearing on the last few tours.
Phoenix also had the best B-stage sound I�ve heard this tour and I was directly next to main stage. At one point during �Brown Sugar,� Mick ran back up the catwalk to about the third row to slap the hand of a boy, who couldn�t have been more than six and was sitting atop an adult�s shoulders before running back to the B-stage to finish the song.
Upon exiting the arena, I see the tell-tale orange T-shirts announcing the free AT&T promo discs. As I did in San Diego, I begin walking in circles hitting up the same people numerous times. Once I found an unattended box and grabbed a handful. After yielding 65 discs, I set my sights on the T-shirt. Made some inquiries and it was obvious they were told to ask for $50 but I was able to successfully bring the price down to something more reasonable.
Can�t wait to see you all in San Jose tomorrow.

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST