ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Till the next time... we say goodbye
MGM Grand, Las Vegas - February 8, 2003
Background image by Li'l Red Rooooooooooooooooooooostah for Rooster Productions Lsd.

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Phil Spector Taken Into Custody In Connection With Homicide Return to archive Page: 1 2
02-03-03 01:57 PM
nankerphelge Music Legend Taken Into Custody In Connection With Homicide

UPDATED: 10:57 a.m. PST February 3, 2003

LOS ANGELES -- Music industry veteran Phil Spector was reportedly taken into custody this morning in connection with a local shooting, according to authorities.

Shortly after 5 a.m. Monday morning, Alhambra police officers responded to a call from the 1700 block of S. Grandview Drive regarding a shooting, according to the Sheriff's Headquarters Bureau.

When the officers arrived they discovered that a female had been shot inside the location, according to authorities. The victim was pronounced dead at the scene.

The suspect, identified by authorities as Phillip Spector, 63, was taken into custody and is currently being detained at the Alhambra police station.
02-03-03 02:06 PM
glencar Ronnie Spector said he was pretty violent. This is a sad coda to a brilliant career. Now he's an OJ.
02-03-03 02:17 PM
jb Fuck-him....guy was a weirdo.
[Edited by jb]
02-03-03 02:25 PM
Nellcote For my 500th post, I'm finding myself agreeing with you JB!
02-03-03 02:27 PM
jb Congrats!!! How about those Dolphin pro-bowlers yesterdaY!!
02-03-03 02:29 PM
Nellcote Yes, name the defensive genius who made the interception....
#24......two letter first name.....
02-03-03 02:36 PM
jb Ty...but also what about Jason Taylors...Sam Madisons...Ricky 2 TD's Williams...
02-03-03 02:45 PM
Nellcote Yes! On the one year anniversary of the Pats.......
WINNING THE SUPER BOWL!
One year ago right now, just departing New Orleans, what a time.
I am convinced that the Raiders had no business being in the Super Bowl, after that pathetic display.
The Pats & The Phins will have longevity in the AFC.
The Silver & Black will be at the end of the pack.
02-03-03 02:55 PM
Factory Girl Why was Phil Spector a weirdo? I read that he produced the Ramones...
02-03-03 03:03 PM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
jb wrote:
...guy was a weirdo.

maybe jb, but it seems that that often comes with the turf of being a genius
02-03-03 03:07 PM
Riffhard Yeah old Phil has had a strange ride for sure. He's the Howard Hughes of R&R. A complete recluse who has been showing signs of degeneration for decades now. A sad coda indeed glencar.

On the upside,maybe VH-1 can get him to produce some of the bands in thier repulsive series "Music Behind Bars".

Riffhard
02-03-03 03:12 PM
nankerphelge That's right Riffy -- the 12', barbed-wire covered, reinforced concrete Wall of Sound!!
02-03-03 03:31 PM
Riffhard LMAO Nanky! I set 'em up you knock 'em down!

Riffhard
02-03-03 03:42 PM
sasca He was a good friend to the young Stones.
02-03-03 03:51 PM
jb A real ass who treated Ronnie Spector like an animal.
02-03-03 04:04 PM
Fiji Joe I would have liked to treat Ronnie Spector like an animal
02-03-03 04:10 PM
nankerphelge No kidding huh!
02-03-03 04:11 PM
purrcafe Oddly, there is a Stones connection. Spector came out of retirement to produce Starsailor, who are opening for the Stones on a number of European dates this summer. And yes, Spector produced the Ramones - and held Dee Dee hostage for two days at gunpoint.
02-03-03 05:05 PM
telecaster With all this crazy shit going on with these rockers from the old days along with all the recent deaths, who would have thought The Stones would be 1). alive 2). the respected elder statesmen of rock n roll and 3).still kicking ass with no end in sight.

Thank you God for making me a Stones fan.
02-03-03 05:09 PM
Moonisup this shows that rockstars are humanbeings
02-03-03 05:17 PM
glencar Uh, moonie, I think we all realzied that long ago. Spector murdering someone shows that some people are killers. His behavior has been odd & somewhat criminal for 30 yars & nothing was done. And now some nameless gal is dead.
02-03-03 05:52 PM
Prodigal Son Spector was always a cook. He must've been suffering from some kind of mental problems. Anyway, he always did eccentric stuff. Maybe Brian Wilson going mental was indeed emulating his idol. Spector always kept Ronnie locked up inside and made her a social recluse. He did everything but beat her up (at least to my knowledge). The guy was so paranoid that when "River Deep, Mountain High" only hit no. 88 in the US, he thought it was the record industry's jealous attempt to throw him into obscurity, so he did it to himself and didn't start producing until 1969 when he did stuff for mainly the Beatles on Let it Be, John Lennon, George Harrison and more. I expected him to one day just snap and it seems he has. This is a guy who held the tapes to a John Lennon album (Rock n' Roll) ransom for something like 2 million. What a nut.
02-03-03 06:54 PM
Martha Record Producer Phil Spector Arrested

Email this Story

Feb 3, 6:17 PM (ET)

By ERICA WERNER

ALHAMBRA, Calif. (AP) - Phil Spector, the legendary record
producer whose "Wall of Sound" helped change the sound of
pop music in the 1960s, was arrested Monday for allegedly
shooting a woman to death at his suburban mansion.

Spector, 62, was seized at the castle-like estate around 5
a.m. after authorities were called about shots being fired,
sheriff's Sgt. Joe Efflandt said. Spector was taken to the
Alhambra Police Department and booked for investigation of
murder.

Attorney Robert Shapiro, whose clients have included O.J.
Simpson, said he was representing Spector but couldn't
discuss the case until he talked to his client. Bail was set at
$1 million.

Authorities did not immediately identify the woman or her
relationship to Spector. A black Mercedes-Benz sedan with
the passenger door open was parked in the driveway of the
home, and police were searching the home.

Records show Spector bought the mansion for $1.1 million in 1998. A close friend,
attorney Marvin Mitchelson, said Spector lived alone and didn't have a girlfriend.

Mitchelson said he and Spector had been trying to put together a movie about
Spector's life. "His mental state has been great - very rational, very together," the
attorney said.

Spector is famous for creating the "Wall of Sound" effect that involved overdubbing
scores of musicians to create a full, dramatic sound. The technique combined
instruments, vocals and sound effects, and it changed the way pop records were
produced while bringing fame to singing groups like the Ronettes and the Crystals.

In his storied career, Spector produced records for Elvis Presley, Ike and Tina Turner,
the Righteous Brothers and Darlene Love. He produced the last Beatles album, "Let It
Be," in 1970. He worked with John Lennon on "Imagine" and helped Yoko Ono produce
Lennon's work after he was killed in 1980.

Among the hits to bear his signature style include "Da Doo Ron Ron" and "Then He
Kissed Me" by the Crystals; "Walking in the Rain" by the Ronettes" and "You've Lost
That Lovin' Feelin'" by the Righteous Brothers.

His session players, known as the "Wrecking Crew,"
included guitarist Glen Campbell, pianist Leon Russell,
drummer Hal Blaine and the late Sonny Bono, who
learned the producer's trade under Spector.

But his production style, involving heavy use of
echo, went out of style. Paul McCartney is known to
hate Spector's work on "Let it Be," done without his
consent, and has said he wants to release the
album stripped of Spector's contributions.

Spector, who was inducted into the Rock and Roll
Hall of Fame in 1989, has been reclusive over the
past couple of decades. His last major album was "End of the Century," a 1980
collaboration with the Ramones.

During the session, the late bassist Dee Dee Ramone once said, Spector pulled a gun
on the band.

"I don't think he would hurt a fly. Until anything happens, you're innocent until you're
proven guilty. I don't think Phil had it in him to murder anybody," Marky Ramone,
drummer for the Ramones, told the Fox News Channel.

The producer is alleged to have demonstrated near-psychotic and abusive behavior,
according to a 1995 biography by Rolling Stone magazine.

"It had to stop," Spector said of his behavior in a 1977 Los Angeles Times interview.
"Being the rich millionaire in the mansion and then dressing up as Batman. I have to
admit I did enjoy it to a certain extent. But I began to realize it was very unhealthy."

Spector was a 17-year-old student at Fairfax High School in Los Angeles when he
wrote and produced his first No. 1 hit for the Teddy Bears, a 1958 ballad called "To
Know Him Is to Love Him." Its title was taken from the inscription on the gravestone
of his father, Benjamin, who committed suicide in 1949 when Spector was 9.

Spector's second wife was Ronnie Bennett, lead singer of the Ronettes. They
divorced in 1974. He has five children from his marriages.

The Ronettes have sued Spector for allegedly cheating them out of earnings from the
recordings. The lawsuit, which seeks $3 million, is pending in New York state court.
02-03-03 07:02 PM
Stonesmillenium2001 He probably did it since he is well known to bring guns in the studio and force people at gunpoint to do things he wanted in the studio.
02-03-03 07:11 PM
nankerphelge Dirty businessman for a dirty business.
Paul's comments are pretty harsh -- but I never get tired of seeing McCartney with PR problems! Someone like that needs a lil' grounding.

02-03-03 07:21 PM
Phog A talented, but screwed-up, individual. I remember

a story about him driving the Ramones nuts with his

pefectionism-supposedly he spent hours working on the

sound of one guitar chord. Doesn't he play maraccas

on the Stones' first LP? Sad, but not suprising.
02-03-03 07:32 PM
telecaster I always remember his guesting on "I Dream of Jeannie"
as himself.

Pure brillance
02-03-03 09:01 PM
throbby He's also singing on that classic outtake from the Stones first album "Andrews Blues".
02-03-03 11:30 PM
Sir Stonesalot "End Of The Century" is one of my least fave Ramones records. Spector's style was completely wrong for the Ramones.

The Ramones were best when they were stripped down to the barest essentials....not overblown, and overdubbed like on End Of The Century. Actually...after EOTC, I don't think the Ramones were ever quite as good.

02-04-03 01:20 AM
stonedinaustralia interesting comments SS, with which i tend to agree

the irony being that spector's pop master-pieces of the early '60's and his wall of sound clearly had an influence on the masterful "pop" that is part of the the ramones music even if buried beneath their own (albeit stripped down - no strings and multiple pianos - just an impenetrable buzz of distorted guitar) version of a "wall of sound"

joey made no secret of his love for the ronettes - who in their right mind would

btw/ andrew loog oldham also made no secret of the fact that he was a phil wannabe - unfortuantely he didn't really know much about producing records but he had the upstart "teenage tycoon shit" schtick down pat
Page: 1 2

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST