ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Till the next time... we say goodbye
MGM Grand, Las Vegas - February 8, 2003
Background image by Li'l Red Rooooooooooooooooooooostah for Rooster Productions Lsd.

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: love to play the blues Return to archive
02-02-03 10:48 PM
throbby

Keith from the biography by Victor Bockris:

I'd just met Brian, and I went round to his apartment-crash pad, actually, all he had in it was a chair, a record player, and a few records, one of which was [by] Robert Johnson. He put it on and it was just astounding stuff. When I first heard it, I said to Brian, 'Who's that?' 'Robert Johnson.' I said, 'Yeah, but who's the other guy playing with him?' Because I was hearing two guitars, and it took me a long time to realize he was actually doing it all by himself. You think you're getting a handle on the blues and then you hear Robert Johnson-some of the rhythms he's doing and playing at the same time, you think, 'This guy must have three brains!' To me he was like a comet or a meteor that came along and, BOOM, suddenly he raised the ante, suddenly you just had to aim that much higher."

Man, I so dig the blues and the inspiration it gave the Stones.

[Edited by throbby]
02-03-03 05:00 PM
stewed & Keefed Thanks Throbby I hadn't played my Robert Johnson cd for a long time until I read your post, and then I played Elmore James. AWESOME.
02-03-03 05:19 PM
glencar Did Keith cooperate with Bockris on that bio?

Even today the Stones showcase old bluesmen. Lookit just last month with Mr. Sumlin. Very nice.
02-03-03 06:03 PM
telecaster
quote:
glencar wrote:
Did Keith cooperate with Bockris on that bio?

Even today the Stones showcase old bluesmen. Lookit just last month with Mr. Sumlin. Very nice.

In 81 The Stones went to Muddy Waters house which was in
suburban Chicago (Westmont) and hung out for a while.

Kinda funny becuse Westmont is this typical (at the time)
lower middle class tract house type of town.

I can see these big limos pulling up with a cases of booze
walking in this little bungalow with all the neighbors staring
02-03-03 07:21 PM
nankerphelge That's good stuff -- I remember being quite amazed the first time I saw the scenes in Gimme Shelter of them recording in Alabama. They connect to their roots authentically -- by going there and playin' it! And in my mind, because they truly feel "it," they have always taken it with them -- it still comes out to this day, when they let it.

[Edited by nankerphelge]
02-03-03 09:54 PM
throbby From what he states in the acknowledgments Victor Bockris wrote his book with the help of some of Keith's former friends and a certain Anita. He also fleshed out the book with earlier interviews Keith had given to various journalists.

Brian was surely a huge fan of Elmore. As per Keith, he played an excellent "Dust my Broom" and in the beginning went by the name of Elmo Lewis.

I have a book called "The Devil's Music, A History of the Blues" written by Giles Oakley. A real good read if you're into the blues. Some photos in there will give you a good idea about what it must've been like for some to live the blues day by day during the 1930's.

For those that haven't heard Voodoo Brew. Listen to disc two if you get the chance. It's Keith solo in the studio with his acoustic. Very good sound I might add. Quite interesting his renditions of "Cocaine" and his take on the history behind the song.

The scene from Gimme Shelter in the Muscle Shoals studio is one of the most revealing parts of the movie for me. You're so right Nanker, when they let it come out.

[Edited by throbby]
02-05-03 12:04 AM
gypsymofo60 I've always agreed, to play the blues, you have to have lived the blues. But anyone can appreciate the blues. It took me a long time to get into the music, and by my own admission it was simply going over my head. Funnily enough as I was tuning into it I read a statement purportedly made by Axl Rose saying, "I don't care what kinda pain I have to go through so long as I can get a song out of it" The tradition continues in a strange sort of way.

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST