ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Till the next time... we say goodbye
MGM Grand, Las Vegas - February 8, 2003
Background image by Li'l Red Rooooooooooooooooooooostah for Rooster Productions Lsd.

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Denver setlist, pix and reviews Return to archive Page: 1 2
02-02-03 01:15 AM
*ginda CStreet Fighting Man
You Got Me Rockin
Start Me Up
Don't Stop
Rocks Off
Dead Flowers
You Can't Always Get What You Want
Monkey Man
Gimme Shelter
Rock Me Baby (w/ Johnny Lang) "excellent" according to Doug
Tumbling Dice

Slipping Away
Happy

Sympathy
Can't You Hear Me Knocking
Honky Tonk
Satisfaction

B-stage:
Mannish Boy
It's Only Rock and Roll
Brown Sugar

encore:
Jumpin Jack Flash

ourtesy of Stonesdoug
02-02-03 05:36 AM
Moonisup thank you
02-02-03 05:58 AM
luxury1 Would someone please wake those bastards up in Denver?! I need more info than the setlist please.
02-02-03 07:13 AM
Moonisup Thank you Rocky mountain news!
(i copied the pics of a dutch stonesforum)

[Edited by Moonisup]
02-02-03 07:19 AM
Strange_Stray_Cat wow great pics moon!
02-02-03 07:32 AM
stonedinaustralia the band is running HOT!!

in two weeks time...
02-02-03 07:33 AM
luxury1 Yeah--those are some of the best this tour--very different, and Jagger in fuschia!! Oh yeah...
02-02-03 07:43 AM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
luxury1 wrote:
and Jagger in fuschia!! Oh yeah...

the notorious purple shirts...

it's a beautiful shot of charlie
02-02-03 08:30 AM
CS Stones' show has old age licked
By Mark Harden
Denver Post Assistant Arts Editor
Sunday, February 02, 2003 -

Post / John Leyba
Mick Jagger performs during the Rolling Stones' sold-out concert Saturday night at the Pepsi Center.

Forty tongue-lashings to the Rolling Stones for going ahead with their concert Saturday night at the Pepsi Center mere hours after a national tragedy.

Of course, the Stones have sneered at popular notions of propriety throughout their career. That may be one reason why we can't help but love these wizened musical marauders, and why they sold out the arena Saturday night, with some seats going for as much as $304 (plus service charges and parking).

The Stones make their own rules, and have for 40 years.

So enough of a critic's huffing and puffing.

You want to know how the show went.

It went astoundingly well.

Appropriately for the day, the Stones played a bluesy, salty set, showcasing the stabbing guitar licks traded all night by Keith Richards and Ron Wood.

And at age 59, singer Mick Jagger continues to cheat time. Whippet thin, wiggling that little butt of his in black stretch pants, Jagger strutted, jutted his fingers, changed silky shirts every few songs and sang with insinuating power.

This was the Stones' first Colorado show since their date at the old McNichols Arena in February 1999.

Then, as now, the band divided its time between a main stage and a pier-like second stage that jutted out into the crowd, where at press time they were gnawing their way through "Mannish Boy" and "It's Only Rock 'n' Roll."

On their "Licks" tour, the Stones are mixing venue sizes in various cities, playing at stadiums, arenas and ballrooms.

Alas, the rumors that their Denver visit would include an in-your-face show at the 3,600-capacity Fillmore Auditorium proved untrue.

And unlike most past tours, there was no new album to flog (other than last year's greatest-hits set, "Forty Licks," from which the Stones played a new number, the jaunty "Don't Stop").

So, instead of having to sprinkle several unfamiliar new songs into the set, the Stones were able to dig that much deeper into their wickedly rich catalog. (They reportedly rehearsed 130 tunes for the tour.)

Saturday night they showcased the late-'60s "Let It Bleed" album with a funked-up take on "You Can't Always Get What You Want," offering a slinky lead from Richards and a double-time, revival-meeting ending; a jittery "Monkey Man"; and a roiling "Gimme Shelter" featuring a towering vocal duet by Jagger and backing singer Lisa Fischer.

There were also such '70s gems as "Rocks Off," "Dead Flowers," "Tumbling Dice," "Happy" and a protracted "Can't You Hear Me Knocking" fueled by Wood's guitar solo and Bobby Keys' sultry sax.

And there were plenty of '60s classics, including the opener, "Street Fighting Man," plus "Sympathy for the Devil," "Honky Tonk Women" and "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction."

The stage was fairly simple, with a few arcs of lights and a massive screen displaying big lips and images from the "Ronnie-Cam," a tiny camera mounted on the neck of Wood's guitar.

Looking at it charitably, there's no doubt that the Stones offered some hard-rocking solace to fans for whom the space shuttle Columbia disaster was but the latest collective jolt in an era of terrorist attacks and looming war in Iraq.

And for those who came and filled every seat, perhaps the show seemed a small but needed satisfaction.

Young blues-guitar phenom Jonny Lang - who just turned 22 - opened the night with 45 minutes of stinging leads and a voice that sounds like it comes from ... well, a 59-year-old.
02-02-03 08:38 AM
Honky Tonk Man Indeed, a great set-list. Rock Me Baby in an Arena? Fantastic!

Just one problem for me. Stonesdougs site report Keith rehearsed Can't Be Seen during the sound check.

Why didn't he play it?

I was looking forward to hearing that!

Alex
02-02-03 08:38 AM
CS Stones still have it

By Mark Brown, Rocky Mountain News
February 1, 2003

It's not really a question of greatness anymore.

With the Rolling Stones, you have four genuine living legends onstage, with a catalog of rock's finest songs, and the stamina and passion to still put that across. It's a given that it's not gonna be a bad show.

So the question on the Forty Licks tour is whether the privilege of seeing and hearing the spectacle is worth the top ticket of $300-per-seat price-tag the Stones have decided is fair.

And it's especially a riddle coming on a night when a huge international tragedy has clouded everyone's mind. Would fans feel guilty going out on a day of mourning?

The Stones put all questions to rest in short order. The shows on the Forty Licks tour have garnered rave reviews, and Saturday night's was no different - unless it was better than most.

It was a combination of style and substance, with Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Ronnie Wood and Charlie Watts digging deep into their near-untouchable catalog with a vengeance.

Richards riffed off of Watts' stone-steady drumming, Wood again showed he's an integral part of the sound despite his permanent status as the new guy. Jagger, sweating by the second song, was as animated as most have ever seen him.

With Wood's and Richards' guitars cranked deliciously loud, the band powered through two hours plus of classics, from the lighter touches of Dead Flowers and Slipping Away to the flat-out crunch of Can't You Hear Me Knocking and Start Me Up.

Jagger did tastefully acknowledge the Columbia tragedy, noting "it's a strange day and strange times we've got. We'll get through it" before going into an appropriate and uplifting version of their latest hit, Don't Stop.

So nearly four years to the day from their last (also great) Colorado concert, the Stones didn't disappoint, blowing through their songs with ease and excitement, be it old warhorses like Sympathy for the Devil or the rarely played Monkey Man.

Even Honky Tonk Women - a song delivered with a road-weary lackluster approach in recent years - kicked out the jams.

Even with the pricey tickets, it's hard to say anyone didn't get their money's worth. The Stones brought perhaps the best sound system the Pepsi Center has ever hosted, and a second stage near the back provided a treat for the cheaper seats.

Highlights were nearly every song; Richards' signature song, Happy, was roaring, and he delivered his delicate-yet-brutal chords in a show-stopping Gimme Shelter. A Let It Bleed mini-set was marred only by not including the title song from that album.

Overall, a great band on a hot night - there were no downsides.

The blues of Jonny Lang provided the perfect opening act for the Stones. Too bad that when the Stones invited him onstage to take a solo in BB King's Rock Me Baby, his guitar was inadvertently unplugged.
02-02-03 11:49 AM
Madafaka Thanks for all guys. Greatest pix and a nice setlist.

I don't know if it's only me, but I need differents songs in the shows... They rehearsed aprox 100 songs. What are they waintin' for?
02-02-03 12:04 PM
Sir Stonesalot What are they waiting for?

Europe.
02-02-03 12:52 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
What are they waiting for?

Europe.

Yeah, I get the feeling that all us US fans are gonna be bitchin' our hearts out when they get to Europe and start playing all these songs they didn't play for us.

Meanwhile, the Europeans will complain about the songs that made way for the new material.

And then we'll all settle down with our boots and be happy.

-tSYX --- It's smoooooooooooth sailing with the highly successful sound of wonderful Radio London...
02-02-03 12:56 PM
Gazza I doubt they'll change it that much for Europe - they rarely do. There's been next to nothing premiered since about early November

Rehearsing 100 songs means nothing really (actually it was about 120). They might have very well tried out some obscure stuff in a rehearsal room, but if its not workin' out in rehearsal,theyre not gonna play it.

By now,they've pretty much figured what works and what doesnt - also,theyve 3 different types of setlists already
02-02-03 01:39 PM
Madafaka I hope that in Europe change a little the setlist... I think so.
02-02-03 01:47 PM
parmeda Thanks for diggin' up those pics Moon...they are great!

...and those bastards got ROCK ME BABY! I am soooo jealous!
I wonder how long it took for our friends to pick their jaws up and put them back on their faces...

Hurry with those stories guys!!!!
02-02-03 02:34 PM
cwatts07644 I hope sway makes the set in europe
02-02-03 02:51 PM
Miss U. Fantastic photos! Mick & Woody lookin great, & I must say I like all the colorful clothes Keith is wearing this tour!! Isn't this quite unusual for him? And I love that sparkly belt he has!
02-02-03 03:41 PM
nankerphelge Wow! What a blast!

I got to the hotel at 3:30 abd promptly headed out to the Hard Rock -- as I left the hotel, there were a bunch of vans sitting outside wif lotsa security. Hmmmm? The give away was Bobby Keys sitting in the passenger seat of the first van and Bernard in the second van. What would you do -- stay to see the boys leave or head to the bar? Me too -- I went to the Hard Rock -- guess I'm a shitty groupie too!!

Walked into the Hard Rock and Maxmeister and our young boy Joey are already at it. Moonie followed within minutes. Then Jaxxy , then Keno -- we all had a couple and then headed to Doug's party. Jaxxy had to leave early but thank you my dear for the "help" -- would you believe not one person at Doug's had a rolling paper!! Had to dash over to a tobacco store!!

So how would y'all get from the bar to the Pepsi center? Walk? Nah. Cab it? Nope -- can't get buzzed in a cab! Horse-drawn carriage? Possibly, but moonie, Maxmeister and I decided to take the rick-shaw -- a bike-drawn 2 person cart!! I got to sit on Max's lap -- how cozy!!! The driver was great -- there we are going 3 mph through the streets of Denver getting stoned!! Everyone -- I mean EVERYONE knew who was having the most fun!! We were so stoned by the time we got to Pepsi, we couldn't even deal with the crowds -- so we went for more beers across the street.

Strolled on in during the break. Moonie and I were a couple of rows away -- sort of bleacher-style seats right down near the floor at the very back. Had only one sitter directly across the aisle, but the folks behind me understood me completely and I was also on the aisle so I had plenty of room. Some old duffer security guy told me to stay out of the aisle -- but he was older than dirt and whenever he came near I ran up the stairs and disappeared only to return once he turned around -- everyone was getting a kick out of it!!

The show was awesome -- the sound was perfect and all of them were on. Dead Flowers was a treat -- never heard it live before and they played it great. Rock Me Baby was my long-awaited blues tune -- coupled with Mannish Boy on the B, i was very happy!!

Speaking of the B -- at the bottom of the our section there were 2 beefy security guys guarding the floor -- not the duffer! They were watching all nite until all of a sudden they both disappear right at the boys head to the B -- moonie and I wasted no time -- we got all the way up to the middle of the catwalk before anyone tried to check us -- we followed Mick down the walk and then turned and headed back before we got tossed -- and then ducked down a nearly empty row right on Keith's side!! I wonder where all the people were? oh well, their loss! (PS, Keith ran like a girl again!!) Charlie was a machine -- that guy is amazing.

At one point as Keith got ready to do his 2 tunes, Mick hopped up on Charlie's riser and they were laughing at something -- maybe they had bets on whether Keith would run like a girl -- I don't know, but it was a neat moment.

I'm sure more'll come back once the cobwebs clear!!
Great show -- great bunch pre- and post-
The rick-shaw ruled!!

[Edited by nankerphelge]
[Edited by nankerphelge]
02-02-03 04:06 PM
LadyJane Nanky--Most excellent post!! My eyes are all glassy just from reading your words!! I'll have to remember to pack my ZigZag's for Vegas!! Can't be caught looking for a Head Shop on the Strip!!

The rickshaw sounds like a total blast!! And I thought nothing could top the Double Decker English Bus we rented in Miami!!

I'm so happy for you guys! Thanks for sharing!

LadyJ.
02-02-03 05:56 PM
glencar It sounds like a better show than they've done lately. I was planning on Vegas next Saturday but other things have come up. I would like to go to Europe but I'll have to see how it works out with my schedule. Right now, Germany looks most promising.
02-02-03 06:21 PM
CS Stones rock out to familiar tunes
By Matt Sebastian, Camera Music Writer
February 2, 2003

DENVER � With a collected 234 years under their belts, the Rolling Stones may well be the monsters of geriatric rock � but that doesn't mean the band's not a finely honed machine.

Led by a strutting Mick Jagger, the Stones treated 18,000 jubilant fans Saturday to two hours of masterful rock 'n roll, offering electrifying renditions of some of the band's most beloved tines.

The sold-out Pepsi Center shook Keith Richards' opening chords as the Stones took the stage to a ripping rendition of "Streetfighting Man," the bands' angry take on late '60s rebellion that anchored the classic Beggar's Banquet.

The crowd � including aging baby boomers, younger fans and even U.S . Sen. Ben Nighthorse Campbell � exploded during the Stones' first few numbers. The band breathed brassy life into Exile on Main Street's "Rocks Off" and trotted out competent newer tracks like "You Got Me Rockin'" and "Don't Stop."

A Let it Bleed mini-set � featuring the slinky "Monkey Man" and an incendiary "Gimme Shelter" � brought out the Stones' rough-and-tumble best: Jagger's frantic prancing, Richards' sloppy guitars and a laconic Charlie Watts' rock-steady beat.

Yet make no mistake, the Rolling Stones are a nostalgia act, a living museum of rock 'n roll. The Glimmer Twins stopped revolutionizing popular music decades ago. In fact, they're hardly trying: The Stones have released a scant four songs in the last five years.

But that doesn't mean Jagger and Co. can't do justice to their legendary catalog. The band, augmented by eight backup singers and longtime sidemen like Bobby Keys and Chuck Leavell, came alive on stage, especially when throwing down out-of-the-way numbers like the country-tinged "Dead Flowers."

The Stones' Licks World Tour, which kicked off in Boston in September, is the latest moneymaker in the band's recent string of American stage spectaculars. Since teaming up with Canadian promoter Michael Cohl for the 1989 Steel Wheels trek, the band has pulled in a reported $1 billion on the road. Perhaps you can always get what you want.

For this tour, in support of the two-disc hits package Forty Licks, the Stones are playing stadiums, arenas and clubs � sometimes all three in the same market. Those coveted club dates have been few and far between; rumors the band would add a show at the 3,600-seat Fillmore Auditorium proved to be just that.

Although the stage props have changed, the Licks tour followed the same basic outline the Stones have employed on the last few tours: plenty of hits, a smattering of welcome rarities, a couple of new songs and a brief mini-set at the end of an extended catwalk (a nice touch the Stones lifted from U2's groundbreaking ZOO TV Tour).

Tickets for the Pepsi Center show topped out at $300, twice as much as the high end for the Stones' last Denver concert, a 1999 date at McNichols Arena. Before that, the band played Mile High Stadium in 1994, charging $50 for most seats.

But the fans don't seem to mind. To them, the Stones will always be the world's greatest rock 'n roll band.

02-02-03 11:21 PM
gypsy Those are wonderful photos--great photographer and subjects! I really like their outfits on this tour. Miss U, I agree with you on Keith's belt...my boyfriend even commented on how cool it was.
The guys look great...play great...I was very impressed with the OKC show. Sounds as though all their other shows are just as good, if not better.
02-03-03 03:13 AM
prism
Did Keith play the pink ZZ Top guitar again?
02-03-03 08:37 AM
Factory Girl Thanks for the great review, Nank.

Now for Keith's silver belt-very cool! I also liked the multiple belts that Ronnie was wearing in a recent header.

Btw, I think that Mick should go back to whipping the stage with a belt during Midnight Rambler.
02-03-03 09:00 AM
nankerphelge Not sure who snapped the picture, but someone got Jaxxy, Doug and Keno together for a group shot. Maybe it's just my warm sentimental nature and love for humanity generally, but for me -- considering all the time and work the three of them have contributed over the years for our collective enjoyment -- I thought it was just a great thing! Thanks to all of you (Gazza and Voodoo too) for creating this big experiment in Stonesian group therapy!!
02-03-03 09:02 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Thanks Nanky

Reading your review make me think and be sure that I fucked up not going but it was "nolt" my fault
02-03-03 11:49 AM
TomL Sounds like you guys had a great time. That's great. Great post Nankey.
02-03-03 12:52 PM
Martha Great Photos and reviews..thanks for posting them CS.

Love your review of the fun Nanky..so glad you made it!

My husband and I made it to L.A.yesterday
and will be getting our wristbands and tickets on Tuesday
for the Benefit gig Thursday at Staples!!! Can't wait!
Page: 1 2

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST